Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana 60 "Monobeam"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white68stang
    replied
    Got the main stuff all there and looking pretty, still need to get on the leaf bushings, but with snow yesterday, I'd say this project wont happen till next spring! Easier to spread the money out that way. A local salvage yard here in Topeka, prices the 10.25 axle at $300 with the 3.55 gear I want and a 90 day warranty, so I'll probably go that way. Ford also updated the pinion bearing in 92 so hopefully I can snag one from a 92-97.

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Steve, I was thinking of trying that method also. Now just to find the time to do it!

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    I have some plumbing fittings, washers, nuts, and allthread that I cobbled together to make a press that takes leaf spring bushings out easily and quickly.

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Ryan, I am going with poly, I've had good luck in my mustang with them, and I don't think I'll hear the squeaks above the 460. lol

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Originally posted by white68stang View Post
    Now to prepare for pushing the old rubber busing out of the leaf springs!!
    W68S,
    I assume you are referring to the rubber bushings locted inside the leaf eyes located at each end of the main leaf. I would recommend you use a 1/4" diameter drill bit to drill holes through the rubber bushings. About 3 to 4 holes drilled through the length of each bushing and then you should be able to push/hammer out the remaining rubber with a suitable punch. Then you can clean up the spring eyes before installing the new bushings. You may want to consider the non-oem style polyurethane bushings. Some folks love them, some folks claim they squeak.... your call......

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• ford84stepside
    replied
    An old trick is to drill a bunch of holes through the old bushing, makes it lot easier to push out.

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Ryan,

It's going slow! lol. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it in, and between the little ones and sports, it always goes slower than I hoped! Pretty close to getting all the knuckles, spindles and hubs back on. All new ball joints, bearings and races, new brake rotors, and giving it a coat of paint. It looks much better though!

Now to prepare for pushing the old rubber busing out of the leaf springs!!

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    W68S,
    How is the front end swap going?

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    I should of grabbed a picture, but I forgot! Man the ball joints on this dana 60 are huge! (at least compared to our stangs and 1/2 tons I've done before) I had to get a 1 5/16" socket for the nut on the bottom one! Then the top joint was seized so bad, it separated the upper ball joint when I got the knuckle broke loose! I'm heading to the hardware store tonight to get some different sized pipe to make my ball joint press fit a little better. LOL..

Amazing how tough projects are more fun when you aren't fixing something that needs to be working on Monday!

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
    W68S,
    Don't forget to write down in your records/journal what non-OEM parts you do end up using.......in case you need to refer to who/what/when in the future....

Ryan
    Thats for sure! I've got a "log book" in my mustang's glove box. 91 mark vii engine, 91 t-5, 73 front discs and spindles, etc.....lol, there aint much factory on it!

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    W68S,
    Don't forget to write down in your records/journal what non-OEM parts you do end up using.......in case you need to refer to who/what/when in the future....

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• blue34
    replied
    you got it, all the other needed pieces add up fast.....

Keith

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Tell you what guys, it's all the little pieces that add up! lol Ball joints, universals, spindle bearings, hub bearings, etc! Good thing this is a slow project.

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    No worries guys! Super duty body style was 1999. Heavy picks ups were still the old body style in 97. Technically there wasn’t a heavy duty 250-350 in 98. 1999 is when they went metric, spring perches and whatnot aren’t the same either. 1986-1997 ford Dana 60 front is a bolt in for the f250 ttb swap.

Leave a comment:

• ford84stepside
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
    W68S,
    Ok, good enough reason. Will the '92 f350 have the same bolt circle as your '85 f250.....so you can use the same/interchangeable wheels?

Ryan
    Good question. I know they changed the 1/2 ton to metric pattern in 97, I think they may have changed the 3/4 and 1T sometime, too. He probably needs to check that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X