Clear All

• blue34
    replied
    good job.....nice truck !

Keith

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    VERY NICE looking truck and you did one FINE JOB on that axle install, W68S!
    Glad to hear there were no problems on the shakedown run.....

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• ford84stepside
    replied
    Good looking truck!

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Put about 120 miles on it yesterday and it is much more of a joy to drive. With the 3.55 gears and the 5 speed it does 70mph at 2,000 rpms.

My cruise control has quit working again though. Time to get the multi meter out again!

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    We need pics,,,, or it never happened!

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Well, front axle swap is almost complete! Found a matching 3.55 rear axle and it is in also. Of course it came from a 1990, so luckily NAPA had the right combination universal joint! My wife surprised me with a Bluetop brand steering box, so I got it installed this morning. Taking it to get aligned tomorrow morning, so hopefully that all goes good!

The dana 60 did raise the front about 2", but in doing that it leveled it with the back. Since I don't do much towing anymore, I left it be with the stock lift block in the back, I like a 4wd truck to set level!

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Got the main stuff all there and looking pretty, still need to get on the leaf bushings, but with snow yesterday, I'd say this project wont happen till next spring! Easier to spread the money out that way. A local salvage yard here in Topeka, prices the 10.25 axle at $300 with the 3.55 gear I want and a 90 day warranty, so I'll probably go that way. Ford also updated the pinion bearing in 92 so hopefully I can snag one from a 92-97.

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Steve, I was thinking of trying that method also. Now just to find the time to do it!

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    I have some plumbing fittings, washers, nuts, and allthread that I cobbled together to make a press that takes leaf spring bushings out easily and quickly.

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Ryan, I am going with poly, I've had good luck in my mustang with them, and I don't think I'll hear the squeaks above the 460. lol

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Originally posted by white68stang View Post
    Now to prepare for pushing the old rubber busing out of the leaf springs!!
    W68S,
    I assume you are referring to the rubber bushings locted inside the leaf eyes located at each end of the main leaf. I would recommend you use a 1/4" diameter drill bit to drill holes through the rubber bushings. About 3 to 4 holes drilled through the length of each bushing and then you should be able to push/hammer out the remaining rubber with a suitable punch. Then you can clean up the spring eyes before installing the new bushings. You may want to consider the non-oem style polyurethane bushings. Some folks love them, some folks claim they squeak.... your call......

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• ford84stepside
    replied
    An old trick is to drill a bunch of holes through the old bushing, makes it lot easier to push out.

Leave a comment:

• white68stang
    replied
    Ryan,

It's going slow! lol. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it in, and between the little ones and sports, it always goes slower than I hoped! Pretty close to getting all the knuckles, spindles and hubs back on. All new ball joints, bearings and races, new brake rotors, and giving it a coat of paint. It looks much better though!

Now to prepare for pushing the old rubber busing out of the leaf springs!!

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    W68S,
    How is the front end swap going?

Ryan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X