Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tap tap tap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap tap tap?

My 99 5.4 F150 has had a tap, tap, tap now for a while. I can't figure it out, it only does it under power while pulling, never while idling or just revving it up. Oil pressure is fine according to gauge. I don't think it's a rod bearing, because sometimes it won't do it, but others it will. Could be a rocker i guess, but should do it all the time, but doesn't. Maybe it's an exhaust leak? I'd think it would putt putt all the time, but no, it doesn't. Scratching my head on this one. It seems to come from the drivers side. I'd like to find it before major damage occurs, if it hasn't already. But it may just be one of those maddening little quirks you live with because you don't want to tear apart half the motor until it breaks or quits.

Any ideas?
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Any chance it could be the timing belt tensioner? I ran my 02 up to about 200,000 miles and didn't ever get any noises out of it.
    1968 Fastback
    90 5.0 HO
    T-5
    Modern leather buckets
    Front Disc
    2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Originally posted by white68stang View Post
      Any chance it could be the timing belt tensioner? I ran my 02 up to about 200,000 miles and didn't ever get any noises out of it.
      I don’t think so, that would be more of a slap I would think with those long timing chains. Our 00 Expy had 26x,xxx on it, and my other 99 F150 had about the same, and I never heard anything like this in them, but they were 4.6’s though. Sometimes it’s loud, sometimes you don’t hear it, it comes and goes. That is the puzzling part to me. It’s more like the sound a loose rocker or a piston with a bad bearing would make, not a knock, but close to it. I don’t think these engines have rockers, but have cam followers, so it might be a bad cam lobe I guess, but it never misses, it runs fine and pulls good.

I’m sorta stumped.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Compression blowing by a spark plug under pull?

said maybe exh manifold leak?

STILL Bad Company!
        Bob Carr

Comment

I put new plugs in last summer, so I don't think it's that. It was doing it before I changed them. I'm hoping manifold leak, but it sounds unlike any manifold leak I ever had. Maybe unrelated, but I keep getting a code for "catalyst inefficient" bank 1 or 2, don't remember which right now. Not exactly sure what that means, thinking the cat is probably fouled from the bad coils and plugs I had for a while.

Comment

Working...
          X