Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good spark plug for 5.4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good spark plug for 5.4?

Anybody know a good brand spark plug to put in a 05 5.4 ? I had a new set of Motorcrafts put in last summer, first one failed within a month, second one last week. Electrodes burned or broken off of both of them, different cylinders. Supposedly lifetime warranty, going to take the latest one back to Oreillys and see what they say. Damn $10 a piece, they should last a lifetime! Oh. they are platinum, the suggested plug for the engine. Making me wonder about the quality of Motorcraft anymore. Thinking about going to NGKs.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Damn! Just replaced number 7 last night, wife drove it about 30 miles and now number 8 is misfiring! It’s funny, 5 went first, then 7, now 8, all on the same side. I went to Summit and looked, NGK has a standard electrode, not a stupid thin wire, so I’ll probably order a set of them tonight when I get back home. They are about the same price as Motorcraft, $13 a piece! Damn, whatever happened to $1 spark plugs? Guess that’s what I’ll have to pay, just dread changing them. At least they haven’t been in there long, wife said it was Nov when we had them put in. Then finding time to do it. Running days this week has my schedule messed up.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

On second look, NGK doesn't make a plug for a 5.4, Summit's listing is incorrect. Guess I'll end back up with Motorcraft, even though I don't trust them now. It's either that or a Champion, and I won't run a Champion in a lawnmower.

Thanks for the help

Comment

I would like to help you but I have no experience with the 5.4 & have not heard anything lately..........sorry.

Keith
        34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith, at least you responded. I thought maybe somebody might have used something else they could tell me about.

From my research last night, it seems like the plugs might not have been tightened up enough, allowing air to lean the mixture. I don't see how they wouldn't leak compression, but some said they did, some didn't. Going to get another Motorcraft tomorrow, and may just go through and retorque them all.

Comment

Going to have to find a new mechanic! Trusted this guy to do the job right, well, he didn't. I took #8 out with my fingers! Replaced it with a new plug, then check two others, one was tight, other I turned a quarter of a round. Didn't check the other three, I was tired of laying under the hood. Those three, especially the back two, are hard to get to. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't stick the motor back up under the stupid cowl, what a pisspoor design.

Comment

I know how you feel.
              the mechanic I used to go to has retired & the young guy that bought the shop only does diesel work.
              I have tried 3 other garages so far plus the local Ford dealer. the last garage is a small local chain (CJ`s) with about 20 stores. so far they have taken
              good care of me and the local Ford dealer is also good. both have great reviews from customers but I am concerned with employee turnover at CJ`s
              as I was told some good mechanics have left there before I started going there for service. time will tell.........

Keith
              34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Working...
              X