2010 F-150 4x4 inop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 F-150 4x4 inop

So for the last few months or so, whenever I would put it into 4x4, I would get a "check 4x4" light. No codes thrown, and the 4x4 still worked, so I admittedly ignored hoping for days with more time bandwidth. Then as I'm backing the boat up my driveway (steep), it slipped so I put it into 4x4 and nothing happened. Check 4x4 came on, but this time I didn't have it working. I had to jockey up and down my incline backing up a heavy trailer to get momentum. Not fun. So I dug into it and watched lots of youtube. I was fearing an expensive repair. Consensus was it was either the vacuum or the transition motor. I went hunting for the vacuum pump and honestly couldn't find it. It was not where they said it would be, so I focused on the motor. Videos indicated that they would throw a fault code, but I didn't have one despite the "check 4x4" indicator (weird). I debated if I had a vacuum pump since it wasn't there, and I didn't see any lines coming down to the tranny. So I decided to swap the motor. Looked awful with rust and grime, so I decided if nothing else it would be preventive maintenance. Found one on Amazon for $125 and ordered. Took them 4 days longer than it should have to get it to me, but the repair was simple and it bolted right up. There was an odd single wire that you had to pull out of the old motor and re-insert into the new motor, but it was pretty easy. 30 minutes later, I have 4x4 again. Whew!

Sharing just in case others have the same symptoms....
    It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
    '66 Coupe C code
    '01 Saleen S281SC #648

We had a 93 Explorer that the 4x4 worked the day we bought it used, then that night wouldn't work. Carried it back the next day, they put a 4x4 motor on it, worked once or twice after that, then never worked again. I never did fool with getting it fixed. I miss my old 84 F150, it had the lever in the floor, wish my 99 did. I use the 4x4 on it pretty often in the yard to keep from rutting it, hope it doesn't go out.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I liked 4x4's when they had the shift lever on the floor & not the electronic switch on the dash, much less to go bad.
      Mike & Robin Grentus
      69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
      08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
      00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
      99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
      14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
      M&M Member #- 890
      MCA #- 4549
      My 69 Coupe build album
      http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike65 View Post
        I liked 4x4's when they had the shift lever on the floor & not the electronic switch on the dash, much less to go bad.
        AMEN !!!!! another example of progress isnt always better !
        34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

I actually really like this system. It has worked flawlessly up until now. As I say, I have a very steep driveway and when I back the boat up it, I almost always put it in 4x4. That and winter, and it has gotten a good amount of use. I'm at 170k miles, so I really can't complain. One of the YouTube videos basically said you'll almost never get 200k out of the motor, and it looked ROUGH. So, no harm. $125 bucks and I'm back in business.

Stepside, if you jinxed me, I'm coming for you.

M&M Member #33
          '66 Coupe C code
          '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

I hope I didn’t! I guess I should expand a little, the motor they put on the Explorer I had came from a junkyard. I didn’t know it at the time, but a few years later I was underneath looking at something, exhaust hanger I think, and spotted the yellow paint junkyard labeling. So, no telling the age of it when they put it on. I just never fixed it because it never went off road and I knew the wife wouldn’t use it anyway. She would have ended up burying it before she remembered it was 4wd......

I had bought it at a high end used dealer who had low mileage cars, they had their own shop. I also found out a few years later he was a high end crook, buying insurance cars and fixing them up an selling them without disclosing they had been crashed. They weren’t totaled by the state and didn’t have to have a rebuilt title, so they got away with it for a long time until they got sloppy. Last I heard, the owner was now selling real estate, another business that has its own share of crooks......
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I bought mine new via Amazon, so I'm hoping for a better experience! lol

M&M Member #33
              '66 Coupe C code
              '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

Working...
              X