No longer a Corvette owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No longer a Corvette owner

Went and traded the Corvette off yesterday. Got another GM product, 1988 Firebird Formula 350. Fairly rare, not a lot of yellow ones made with the Tuned Port 350. I loved/hated the Vette, but we needed something with a rear seat for the Grandson to go with us. Got a few small things that need work, about like the Vette did, so I feel it was a good swap. Rear spoiler is MIA, radio is junk, nothing major I've found yet. Two owner Southern car, shows 131,000 miles, but the odometer quit sometime since last oil change in 2011, car was stored for several years. Has had one repaint in factory color. It's the wife's, we had a 77 Formula years ago, wanted another but prices have went through the roof on them. I guess I can live with another tuned port for a while. So, here it is...

----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

A couple more shots....

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Good Luck Bobby. Looks very clean for its age and mileage. I always liked the Firebirds over the Camaros. What year was the 'Vette you traded ?
      Eddie "D"
      '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
      "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
      M&M Member #339.

Comment

Vette was an 86 Eddie. This Bird has the same engine/ trans combo, just two years improved. It doesn't have the aluminum heads or stainless headers like the Vette did though, so I figure it has probably 10-15 less HP. It's has the torque though, might have a lower gear, not sure. With the old tires on it now, just a bit of hard throttle will spin the tires easily!

We really wanted a 46-48 Ford Tudor sedan, but never could find one that they would trade with us on. The market is soft right now, and their are some bargains out there for cash buyers, trades not so much. This car was a close trade based on condition of each, the C4 Vettes just aren't bringing anything moneywise right now. I probably lost some on the deal, but I'm not in it for the money, it's more a pleasure deal. I hope we can enjoy this one for several years, maybe a Tudor will come along one day at the right time.

Comment

Nice looking Firebird. My oldest brother had a 78 T/A, & then an 84 T/A, both were dependable cars.
          Mike & Robin Grentus
          69 Mustang Coupe (project & future toy)
          08 Escape 4X4 (spare)
          00 Ranger Extd Cab 4X4 (my DD)
          99 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
          14 Kawasaki Vulcan (wife's toy)
          M&M Member #- 890
          MCA #- 4549
          My 69 Coupe build album
          http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html

Comment

Good luck with that. You must have REALLY wanted to unload that vette!
            M&M Member #91
            Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
            US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Yes and no Craig. I had a love/ hate relationship with that car. Loved the car, hated it wouldn't stay together. I pulled my hair out many times over it. Every time I turned around it had something wrong with it. When it was running right it was a ball to drive. But it no longer suited us. Was just me and the wife then, now we have the Grandson we are raising. Couldn't fit all of us in it. I took a hit on it, sure, but both are comparable in condition. C4's just aren't bringing anything, so I traded it for what I could get decently close. If it hadn't been for having the Grandson full time I would have probably kept it.

Comment

#1. What you and your wife did, to step up and take charge of your grandson is way more important than whether you got a good deal or not on the trade. Bobby, you and the misses are heroes in my book ..... getting up in years with your own child raising over, to do what you guys did, for the welfare of the 'little guy' is awesome !!

#2 C-4 Corvettes. I don't know much about the ones from 1985 on up, but I do know that you can't give away a 1984 Vette... They (something about a crossfire engine or something).. remember I'm not a motorhead ... makes them a pariah in the classic car world.
                Eddie "D"
                '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
                "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
                M&M Member #339.

Comment

Thanks Eddie, we just did what we had to do.

As to the crossfire, it was two throttle bodies mounted crossways on the intake. It actually came out on I think the 82 models. There were only 7 83's, none released to the public, so the 84's and 85's up until about mid year had it. They had a reputation for being hard to keep in tune, truthful or not. The tuned port came out in mid 85, with direct fuel injectors for each cylinder. Most 84 and 85's got changed over to a carb. All of the third redesign, called the C4, are at the bottom of the market right now. I don't know if they will ever rise like the previous ones did.

Comment

[QUOTE=70 Pony;n487135]#1. What you and your wife did, to step up and take charge of your grandson is way more important than whether you got a good deal or not on the trade. Bobby, you and the misses are heroes in my book ..... getting up in years with your own child raising over, to do what you guys did, for the welfare of the 'little guy' is awesome !!

THIS ^
                    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                      Thanks Eddie, we just did what we had to do.

As to the crossfire, it was two throttle bodies mounted crossways on the intake. It actually came out on I think the 82 models. There were only 7 83's, none released to the public, so the 84's and 85's up until about mid year had it. They had a reputation for being hard to keep in tune, truthful or not. The tuned port came out in mid 85, with direct fuel injectors for each cylinder. Most 84 and 85's got changed over to a carb. All of the third redesign, called the C4, are at the bottom of the market right now. I don't know if they will ever rise like the previous ones did.
                      They also had a nasty habit of pooling fuel in the intake and catching on fire when starting, that's what did them in.
                      '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Looks clean! Looks like there are lots of oem spoilers on ebay right now too!
                        1968 Fastback
                        90 5.0 HO
                        T-5
                        Modern leather buckets
                        Front Disc
                        2001 Bullit Green

Comment

Everything but what I need. This one had the wrap around the back window style, repops are about $500. There is a Camaro in the local pick a part that has one of the platform style, $18. First chance I get I'm going to go measure it and see if it will work. I like the platform style better if it will work.

Comment

Nearly 4 years later and I still haven't replaced the missing spoiler or bad radio, LOL. I'm a slacker!
                            Just put a new battery on it a couple of weeks ago, little car still starts and runs good. Just wish the seats were more comfortable, not enough butt padding for this old man. Maybe when I retire I can get around to some of these things I've been putting off.....

Comment

Working...
                            X