Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made a deal with my son

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a deal with my son

The rear main seal (stupid rope seal) in our Chevelle went out last year on Fathers Day. It’s all original with almost 60k on the clock so I was going to pull it and rebuild it along with servicing the trans and installing a new clutch. That was the plan for last winter but my 363 took a bit longer to build than I anticipated and along with other priorities, it just sat. My oldest son loves cruising in it and kept reminding me of all of the fun we are missing out on. He is 12 and will be aging out of Jr’s when he hits 16, and a light bulb turned on in my head. We made a deal. I’ll show him what to do and of course lend a helping hand when needed, but if he turnes the wrenches and rebuilds the engine, he can race it on occasion in the street trophy class until he gets a car of his own. We pulled it into the shop a few weeks ago and will finally start tearing into it this weekend. I can’t wait to go out and spend time in the shop with him working on the ‘ol big block together. Beats playing video games!
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

that is one of the best deals ever !

Keith
    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

My son has always been with me in the garage. From the time he was walking we were turning wrenches. He has a great mind for problem solving and has noodled through quite a few issues that had me stumped. It's great company and very satisfying to have him take on these skills. He's now 16 and has his own Mustang. Yesterday, while I was at work, he did his sister's oil change and did a full disc brake job. He went on vacation for 2 weeks and it was like I'd lost my left arm. We're working on his clutch now, and honestly he did probably 75% of the work. Quite a workhorse that kid. Kids like him will make someone very happy being able to fix stuff....I highly recommend training them up. They pay you back in spades!
      It isn't an official project until you've bled on it!

M&M Member #33
      '66 Coupe C code
      '01 Saleen S281SC #648

Comment

This is so excellent to hear, excellent jobs parenting, gentlemen.

The truth is that none of us are going to be here forever, and not teaching a kid how to solve problems is one of the worst forms of child abuse there is, in my opinion.
        '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
        My Sprint's restoration progress
        ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Very cool to hear that your son is so hands on as well. Like Steve mentioned, those mechanical problem solving skills are a huge benefit that will help throughout life, not just wrenching on cars. How many adults do we all know that can barely assemble the Chinese furniture they drag back from wally world?

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Boy, you guys bring back some good memories. My youngest was a gear head from birth, he would take his toys apart and put them back together. When he got old enough, he was out in the shop with me, we put a clutch in his first car, a Baja Bug, together. From that to a 68 Ford pickup to so many others i can't remember them all, he wasn't afraid to pull a motor or transmission by himself. Damn, I sure miss him........
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

It does work!
              When I was 16 my dad had an ugly old 1973 Plymouth Scamp with a 318 that had jumped time. He was going to scrap the car but I was interested in seeing if I could fix it. He helped me of course, bought the parts, Chilton manual, etc....and we got it running. He sold the car and split the money with me (I got something like $300, which back around 1983 was A LOT of cash for a 16 year old). I drove the car for a few months before he decided to sell it (it was a rust bucket!)
              I remember thinking how easy the job really was, which was pretty much my first introduction to really fixing cars. Only took us a couple of weekends.
              M&M Member #91
              Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
              US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                This is so excellent to hear, excellent jobs parenting, gentlemen. The truth is that none of us are going to be here forever, and not teaching a kid how to solve problems is one of the worst forms of child abuse there is, in my opinion.

^^^^^ This is so true!! Great Job of Parenting, Guys! Today's kids sure will NOT learn such hands-on skills in today's school classroom....

Originally posted by submariner mustanger View Post
                When I was 16 my dad had an ugly old 1973 Plymouth Scamp with a 318...... I remember thinking how easy the job really was, which was pretty much my first introduction to really fixing cars. Only took us a couple of weekends.

Compared to today's cars/trucks, fixing and engine pulling was much easier on vehicles of the early 70's.....

Ryan
                Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

That’s how I got started. My dad taught me how to do oil changes on his ‘69 Torino when I was about 11, then at twelve we relined the front brakes and rotated the tires and changed shocks, then the jobs got increasingly more involved. I started getting popular with older kids that needed their cars fixed and in the beginning I was dumb enough to do it for free. It’s only when some kid insisted on paying me and told me how much I saved him over a garage when I finally got a clue. Oh! ...girls just LOVED a guy that gets them out of a bind and fixes their cars for free. Literally.

As a practical matter, if you teach your kid how to maintain and fix their cars, you’ve probably saved them 75% of the cost of transportation for their entire life, and they will have a much higher standard of living. Too many parents seem to just prepare their kids to be consumers/victims. It’s puzzling really, and I think overprotecting is a form of child abuse.
                  '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

My Mach's restoration progress
                  My Sprint's restoration progress
                  ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
                    Compared to today's cars/trucks, fixing and engine pulling was much easier on vehicles of the early 70's.....
                    Ryan
                    Boy , you said a mouthful right there! Anything built after 2000 you're lucky if you can even see the engine, much less work on it. Probably even back to the 1980's, but there were still some around a average Joe could work on. Now you have to have a code reader just to get started. And some of them there's no way to do anything without special tools and training, I.E., Hybrids and electric cars. Cars with sealed hoods are probably not too far in the future......
                    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
                      As a practical matter, if you teach your kid how to maintain and fix their cars, you’ve probably saved them 75% of the cost of transportation for their entire life, and they will have a much higher standard of living.
                      Amen to that. And that goes for anything you can accomplish using your brain and your own two hands. There is no way we could afford to do some of the stuff we do if we had to pay someone to do the job.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Working...
                      X