GM steering column problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM steering column problem

The tilt column in the Firebird has started having a problem. The key will crank and turn it off, but it won't turn far enough back to remove the key. It feels like something is binding it internally. Sometimes it works normal, but most time here lately is hasn't. Not sure what I need to be looking for, linkage from shifter, lock pin in column? Anybody have an idea? Not liking having to leave the key in the switch all the time, even with the door locked it would be easy to steal.....
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

If you have eliminated the possibility of the linkage going to your ignition switch binding up, then possibly the mechanism that locks your steering wheel has gotten sticky from old and dried up grease. I’d pull the steering wheel off and take a look, I bet you will find your problem there.
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '18 Edge SEL AWD

”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

Man, I can't believe it's been this long and I still haven't fixed this, lol! I pulled the wheel and the lock plate off one day, couldn't tell anything, it's still bound up with the wheel off, so it's farther down in the column. Looking at a diagram I found on the net, I think something is in the gears on the key switch, probably a piece of hard brittle plastic that has broken off. With my limited time to do anything, I haven't went any farther into it. We seldom drive it anyway, so it's not real high on the "to do " list. Maybe I'll get some time from other things to take another look at it before long, it's not going anywhere soon anyway.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Fixed! Finally got around to working on it again, I had kept putting it off. Dove into it Sat, pulled wheel, lock plate, turn signal and housing, still couldn’t see anything to cause it. Got to watching the rod that goes from the key rack to the switch, it worked fine until you tried to move it towards the lock position, then it would bow. Okay, can’t pull the switch until I drop the column, so I do that, and I see the problem, a back drive cable from the shifter, which keeps you from taking out the key unless it’s in park. Take that off the switch, no more binding! Apparently the cable is corroded up inside or something, so I just left it off. Took a while to put it all back together, a stupid plastic piece that works the dimmer switch was a pia to get back in. Somehow I broke the little tube the horn wire goes through, so I’ve got a new turn signal cam on the way from rockauto. I’ll pull the wheel again and swap that probably Sat and everything should be normal again.

Comment

that is great news ! just keep at it
          34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Thought I’d post the fix in case anybody else had a similar problem. So many times folks ask for help, then you never know how it turns out....

Comment

Working...
            X