Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toploader question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toploader question

I have an opportunity to buy a toploader locally, HEH-CL came out of a '66 390 Fairlaine. Are the tailshaft housings interchangable? I've only seen pictures of this trans, but looks like the shifter mounting bosses are too far forward for a Mustang. Are the tailshaft housings interchangable?

How about input shaft dimensions? FE motors any different than Windsors?
    "When the people fear their government, there is Tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is Liberty"
    Thomas Jefferson

A 390 has a shorter input shaft length. It can be swapped out for a SBF with the correct gear ratio or you can use a special truck designed pilot bushing (not performance recommended.) All internal parts are the same as a SBF.

The tailshaft should be the correct length. The housing can be easily swapped for one from a Mustang or Cougar. You would probably be better off to continue looking unless you get this tranny as a steal.

Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:56, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]

Comment

Thank you Dennis, great info

Compared to Ebay prices as of late, it is a steal. Again... I haven't seen it yet, but unless it's a pile of metal shards in a box I'll probably nab it.
      "When the people fear their government, there is Tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is Liberty"
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by V8 Thumper View Post
        Thank you Dennis, great info

Compared to Ebay prices as of late, it is a steal. Again... I haven't seen it yet, but unless it's a pile of metal shards in a box I'll probably nab it.
        Heck you could always resell it and get exactly what you need.
        Brian

BCP Custom on Facebook

Comment

Exactally
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I had liberty convert a big spline close ratio input shaft to a fit a small block and wide ratio. They welded a tip extension to fit the small blocks. It actually looks alot stronger than a stock tip. I had a local shop modd and fix inputs before but they are long gone, but just letting you know a tip extension is possible.
            1999 GT~ procharged 511rwhp
            1965 2+2~ 289 for now... 363 Bennett engine ready to go in.

Comment

Working...
            X