Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

backhalving,.. framerails or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backhalving,.. framerails or not?

this summer i'm gonna start with backhalving my MII. gotta find some room for those 15x15 rims

so i have a question for the chassis people..

what is the wiser thing to do? make my own framerails of just buy some, the problem is, when i buy some rails, before they arrive at my doorstep (due to shipping costs,import-taxes ,tax-duty's) they will have cost me like double the price then what they will go for. for example, a set of 200rails will cost me around 450 dollar when they arrive here.

for 450 dollar i can get all the iron i need for building my own set of rails, like 10sets or so...

or is it not advised to make your own rails. regarding safety/strenght? are formed rails stronger then a set of fabbed one's?? i'm just trying to look at all the options..

lets hear all the opinions!

greetings Ben
    72 Grandé , 351C,4-speed,3.89 gears, 4-linked rear = tons of fun!

back on track!

I bought the material and made my own, cost me like 60 bucks and had material left over. I also couds make them conform to the car and work with what I had as opposed to making everything else work with the rails I was given.
    69 mustang, 529/glide, 5.74 at 120 N/A @3065 1/8th mile
    81 mustang hatch, 306" n/a on alky -- 10.62 @ 125.37 2900#

Comment

I`m no "chassis guy", but back in the mid 80`s when we did the back half on my 78 Fairmont, there were no readily available mandrel bent rear frame rails commercally available. There were some rails that you could get, but they had big ugly wrinkles on the sides. So my buddy elected to make them from scratch, using 2x3" steel tubing. There were a total of 3 sections used on each side, one from the factory front subframe, then to a "kick up" that went to behind the rear axle, and finally a piece from the kick up, to the tail light panel. 20 years later, and hundreds upon hundreds of 10 second 1/4 mile passes later, they are still looking great.
      1978 Fairmont 428CJ 4 speed [email protected][/ 1.29 60 foot.
      1985 Mustang NHRA Stock eliminator 302 4 speed M/S [email protected] mph, with 331 bracket engine: [email protected] 1.37 50 foot
      1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan 332 FE auto (finally under construction witha 428CJ and 4 speed.)
      1974 F350 ramp truck 390 4 speed (gone buy not forgotten)
      2010 Ranger PU 2.3L 5 speed
      1999 F350 dually, V10 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Rory McNeil View Post
        I`m no "chassis guy", but back in the mid 80`s when we did the back half on my 78 Fairmont, there were no readily available mandrel bent rear frame rails commercally available. There were some rails that you could get, but they had big ugly wrinkles on the sides. So my buddy elected to make them from scratch, using 2x3" steel tubing. There were a total of 3 sections used on each side, one from the factory front subframe, then to a "kick up" that went to behind the rear axle, and finally a piece from the kick up, to the tail light panel. 20 years later, and hundreds upon hundreds of 10 second 1/4 mile passes later, they are still looking great.
        if the Fairmont in your avatar is the car your talking about , you convinced me unk: unk:

thanks Rory/Richter.

i'm gonna make my own!

back on track!

Comment

I made my own rails for my mustang...then you can make them how you want and fit the way you like. Good luck!unk:
          65 Mustang,331,12.1, 950 pro systems carb,9 in w/4.56, Hoosier Qtp 28 x 14.5 x15,JPT C4,JPT 8" conv,[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Stang72 View Post
            if the Fairmont in your avatar is the car your talking about , you convinced me unk: unk:

thanks Rory/Richter.

i'm gonna make my own!
            Yeah. thats the same Fairmont I`ve been running running since 1988, after 1 1/2 years to build it.
            1978 Fairmont 428CJ 4 speed [email protected][/ 1.29 60 foot.
            1985 Mustang NHRA Stock eliminator 302 4 speed M/S [email protected] mph, with 331 bracket engine: [email protected] 1.37 50 foot
            1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan 332 FE auto (finally under construction witha 428CJ and 4 speed.)
            1974 F350 ramp truck 390 4 speed (gone buy not forgotten)
            2010 Ranger PU 2.3L 5 speed
            1999 F350 dually, V10 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by Rory McNeil View Post
              Yeah. thats the same Fairmont I`ve been running running since 1988, after 1 1/2 years to build it.

and it sure looks cool doing it!!!unk: unk:

back on track!

Comment

Working...
              X