Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93 Octane & C/Ratio ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Octane & C/Ratio ....

I'm looking at a stroker kit that states 11:1 Comp Ratio with their dish top pistons and a 63cc combustion chamber. My TFS heads have a 61cc comb/chamber so I'm figuring I'd end up with about 11.2 Comp. Ratio.
    Am I safe or borderline or no go with 93 octane pump gas ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Eddie "D"
    '70 Sports Roof, 351 W, 13.1 @ 107: Maple Grove.
    "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
    M&M Member #339.

I believe that will depend on your actual dynamic compression which will be determined by the camshaft you run in this engine. Hopefully one of the wizards will be by shortly and will be able to give you some actual cam spec's that you will not be able to go under. Until then you might want to post the spec's of the cam you are planning to use and also what your goal is as far as where in the RPM you want your powerband, if you are shooting for torque or HP, and what ratio rear gear you are using. Automatic and stall or manual trans as well. Oh, vehicle weight is a consideration too.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Aussie: this was the cam I planned on: It's a Comp Extreme Energy. 1 Step above the cam I'm using on the 351W presently which is: 268/280 AdvDur 509/512 lift:

Part Number 35-246-3
      Engine 1969-1995 Ford
      351ci,
      Windsor,
      8cyl.
      Grind Number FW XE274H-10
      Description

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Intake Exhaust
      Valve Adjustment 0 0
      Gross Valve Lift 0.519 0.523
      Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift 274 286

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Valve Timing At 0.006
      Open Close
      Intake 31 63
      Exhaust 77 29

--------------------------------------------------------------------------These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 106 Intake CL
      Intake Exhaust
      Duration At 0.05 230 236
      Lobe Lift 0.327 0.327
      Lobe Separation 110

Also running a 3.55 Lim Slip rear, an 11" T/Conv with a mild stall on a C-4 and I'm guessing weight to be about 3300 lbs. Just a street car with a 410 cuIn 351W.
      Does this help ?
      Eddie "D"
      "The deadliest weapon in the world is a U.S. Marine and his rifle." Quote by General John J. Pershing U.S. Army.
      M&M Member #339.

Comment

110-112 LS will work for that compression Eddie, but that is a really little cam for that big of a motor with TFS heads.
        sigpic

Alex Denysenko
        Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
        NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
        First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
        First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
        5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
        Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
        Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
        Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
        Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
        Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
        www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Hey Alex. I really like Comp's Extreme Energy Cams. They are supposed to give me a little more vacuum since I have front disc brakes. I'm getting ready for my re-build (waiting to hear from my mechanic any day). I think you know my plans, but I haven't ordered anything yet.
          My 351W to a 410 Stroker: 4.04 bore 4.00 stroke.
          This stroker kit: NEW HIGH NODULAR 4.000" STROKER CRANKSHAFT
          FORGED 5140 6.000" I BEAM CONNECTING RODS
          PROBE FORGED DISHED PISTONS
          DISH TOP: 63cc = 11.0:1 67cc = 10.6:1 76cc = 9.7:1
          EBrock Perf RPM AirGap Intake. 750 or 830 Holley HP double pumper.
          My TFS heads, rebuilt with new valves & springs and mild port work. They have a 170 IntRunner. Headers 5/8 with 2 1/2" exhaust. Rebuild the C-4 with a (maybe) TCI BreakAway Torque Conv. Keep my 3.55 lim slip and my Crane Hi6 spark box and Mallory Unilite Dist.
          Want to keep it "Mild to Wild" for a reliable, cool running, plug and play motor.
          But obviously I'll take any and all suggestions:
          Thanks.
          Eddie "D"
          M&M Member #339.

Comment

That's a great cam choice Eddie.
            I just think that you are leaving a bit on the table with that grind.
            Let me ponder it a bit over some egg McMuffins.
            sigpic

Alex Denysenko
            Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
            NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
            First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
            First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
            5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
            Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
            Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
            Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
            Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
            Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
            www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

I'm running 11 to 1 with Al heads on 91 octane. My cam has an intake closing of 72* for a dynamic compression of about 8.3 using this calculator:

http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

I understand that about 8.5 DCR is the max for pump gas and Al heads. Lower for iron.

Comment

Working...
              X