Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oregon man takes posthumous NASCAR spin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon man takes posthumous NASCAR spin

Oregon man takes posthumous NASCAR spin

TALENT, Ore. - Big George Helms had tickets for last weekend's NASCAR race at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, but died before he got to use them. He still made it to the track, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

At 6-foot-5 and 400 pounds, Helms wouldn't have been able to fit into a race car. But after his death from a heart attack Dec. 28, loved ones decided to try to fulfill the 54-year-old's dream of participating in a NASCAR race, and arranged for the former logger's ashes to be driven around the track.

"His friends came up to us during the memorial service and asked us if they could take his ashes to the NASCAR race," said Helms' mother, Dixie Helms. "I said 'He'd love that.'"

Driver Mike Harmon taped Helms' urn to the fire extinguisher of his Nationwide Series car during practice last Friday. He told ESPN he could hear someone squealing when he went through a couple of turns.

"I swear I did," Harmon said. "I heard a noise I've never heard before. It happened just one time, through Turns 1 and 2."

Mara Brodeur, a friend who accompanied the urn to Las Vegas, called Helms' family afterward to describe how it went.

"It put tears in my eyes," said Helms' younger brother, Allen.

And Helms will be at the track's next race, in spirit anyway. His friends spread some of his ashes at the speedway before returning the rest to his mother.

Mustang Club of Tidewater

The 1968 Mustangs

"My great fear is that we've in fact been visited by intelligent aliens, but they chose not to make contact, on the conclusion that there's no sign of intelligent life on Earth"

That is so cool. :beer:
    William

Semper Fidelis

Comment

That is cool.
      When I raced motocross, I became friends with the owner of the Honda dealer, he and I just hit it off and have been friends since. Jim and one of the guys he rode with for many years had always talked of racing the Baja 1000. Jim decided he wasn't getting younger and decided to set up a team for the Baja race with his dealership as sponsor.
      He included his old friend on the team (they were both near their 60's) but a month before the race he passed away. Jim and the rest of the team took his ashes and scattered them over the race course in Baja. The team finished third (atv class) and was first privateer team to cross the line.
      Just another reason I've always liked Jim, that and all the help he provided during my racing. Out of the 30 or so bikes I've owned, probably 25 of them were bought from him.
      Jim is about 67 or so now, and is a top finisher in the WKA standings every year. (World Karting Assoc.)
      Formerly known as "ccode67" The Stang is gone, now the name is gone too.

Comment

Years ago, a young man died of cancer. His death wish was for a buddy to patch out at the cemetary with his 65 K coupe for a farewell.. A large group brought their rides, revved up but only the K car laid two strips in the tarmac drive. By the time they got out of the cemetary on SW 8th Street, they ALL dug out, THe cops stopped traffic for the buddies to leave. They all met for a party and tried to be happy but did what the fallen friend asked.
        1968 Mustang Convertible aka "Tru Blu"

Comment

AWESOME! unk:

Jim
          Jim
          1967 Coupe 289 Auto (5.0 EFI, AOD, 8.8 swap under way)
          1984 HD FXWG Shovelhead, Kick start only
          1992 F150 5.8L 4wd
          2001 Expedtion 5.4L 2WD

Comment

Working...
          X