Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastback brian
    replied
    I think the dan williams stuff is pretty strong, you may just need a quality yoke. I broke two stock 31 spline outputs and two liberty modded inputs but never hurt the dan williams output or three piece input.

Leave a comment:

• Rory McNeil
    replied
    Probably a good idea to go 31 spline. Before I put the Jerico in my Mustang, I used to run a T5. After about 1 1/2 seasons of mid 12 second ET`s I had bent the splines of the stock 28 spline mainshaft badly enough that a large hammer was needed to remove the driveshaft. With street tires, or softer launches, the 28 spline would be fine, but what fun is THAT?!:banana:

Leave a comment:

• FSTBK65
    replied
    I was talking to one of my buddies that is real big into four-wheeling, and he was telling me to go to 31 spline. I hadn't really thought about it before.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis112
    replied
    A 31 spline output shaft requires the use of a different tailhousing, tailhousing bushing, and the rear seal. Also you would need to purchase a 31 spline output shaft and adapt it to whatever driveshaft you choose to use.

I would run the 28 spline shaft that you already have as they are fairly tough. You should upgrade the driveshaft yoke and driveshaft though. After one summer running slicks, I twisted the splines in my new 1330 yoke. Alex was able to fix me up with a billet 1350 shaft which included an adapter U-joint to match my 1330 aluminum shaft. Nice piece.

Leave a comment:

• FSTBK65
    started a topic Beef up the Yoke or the Mainshaft?

Beef up the Yoke or the Mainshaft?

Last time at the track I twisted a 1310 28 spline Spicer yoke. I am using Solid Spicer U-joints, 1310 up front and 1350 rear.
    It is getting warmer, and soon time to go to the track. I have put off addressing this issue all winter, but now its time.

I replaced the mainshaft when I rebuilt the transmission. It is a new 28 spline shaft from Dan Williams.

Should I go with a 31 spline mainshaft, or would it be that much stronger?
    If I went 31 spline, would I still need a stronger yoke?

What else would have to change in the transmission to switch to a 31 spline mainshaft?

What would you guys do?
    Thanks for the opinions.
Working...
X