Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good technical thread: coatings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good technical thread: coatings

In the last 20 years we've seen Pro Stock drop a full second and squeeze a whopping 30mph more out of the same 500" they had to work with in 1988. Sprint Cup (or Nextel, or Winston, or whatever) now reportedly make 850+ hp out of the same old 358 inches they'd been lucky to see 700hp out of before. Of course imporvements in cylinder head design, lightweight metals, advancements in lubricants can account for some of this but...

What is the deal with coatings?

Anti-friction; bearings, journals, piston skirts
    Thermal; piston crowns, combustion chambers & valves

How is this stuff applied? Is it effective for endurance, or once the thermal barrier equalizes in temperature is it still as effective (ie drag vs circle track)
    I know high-end builders offer it, and guard their secrets very tightly.

c'mon y'all, inquiring minds want to know
    Last edited by V8 Thumper; 03-15-2008, 08:20 AM.
    "When the people fear their government, there is Tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is Liberty"
    Thomas Jefferson

We send our stuff out for the coatings.
    Don't know just how they apply the stuff, but it does help.
    sigpic

Alex Denysenko
    Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
    NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
    First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
    First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
    5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
    Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
    Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
    Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
    Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
    Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
    www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by V8 Thumper View Post

Anti-friction; bearings, journals, piston skirts
      Thermal; piston crowns, combustion chambers & valves

Is this what the 'special' coatings get applied to? How often if at all does it need to be re-coated?
      Brian

BCP Custom on Facebook

Comment

Well Cup engines are run one time and then rebuilt with all the valvetrain thrown away or sold to others.
        The rash of cam failures at Daytona was due to the DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coating on the face of the lifters coming off and wiping the cam.
        My magazine writer pal is a great fan of every sort of coating, but he just builds Dyno Dogs that run a few times and are then torn down for another article. From what I can seel every coating helps a little and they all add up to a few HP. However if they ever come off, the results are very bad. Especially coated bearings.
        I know a guy with an SBC with coated chambers and exhaust port in a street car and it takes forever for it to warm up.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
          Don't know just how they apply the stuff, but it does help.
          Precisely.

Trashline: Coatings can be applied to damn near anything and everything. For friction reduction... above mentioned skirts, bearings & journals; cam lobes & lifters, I'm sure someone has done something with valvetrain, timing components & oil pumps. For thermal... piston crowns, combustion chambers, & valve heads are treated to 'isolate' the combustion heat to the chamber rather than being absorbed by the metals and transferring 'lost' energy to those metals. Intake & exhaust ports can be treated too.

Thus the thread. I wanna know more
          "When the people fear their government, there is Tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is Liberty"
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Here's the website of a company that makes coatings. They have lots of information about uses.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/
            John Quinn

95 Mustang becoming a street rod
            85 Mustang coupe - becoming a Superstocker
            97 F250 Super Duty - tow truck, 7.3l turbo.
            07 Ranger - parts chaser/daily driver

Comment

Working...
            X