Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Elim Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Elim Question

I still can't work on anything but I must be feeling better because I am plotting car projects.

The 83 Mustang that I have to re-wire is an all original car, I am the second owner and the original owner bought it new when he was in high school and just drove it as it came. I am planning to make it into a car to drive to Bandimere's and have fun with. It occured to me that since the engine is the correct engine for an 83 Mustang, I could make it into a legal stock engine and go run the Stock/Superstock Combo races that they have.

The natural class for the car is L/S which has an index of 13.82 up here. I am confident I can go that fast with a (limited use) street car, I ran 14.00 in the 60's with a 289 in a heavier Mustang.

I have to rewire the car because something shorted out in the factory harness and fried everything electrical in the car, it even killed a new dry cell battery.

I have looked at all the Stock rules and they do not phrohibit rewiring the car. I know just because the rule book doesn't mention rewiring that doesn't mean you can do it so I am asking for opinions.

If the car has an aftermarket 12 circuit wiring loom, am I going to have a problem in tech?

I have another 83 that I decided to make into a parts car so I could use the wiring from that car but it still is a 25 year old wire loom and I would rather not use it.
    John Quinn

95 Mustang becoming a street rod
    85 Mustang coupe - becoming a Superstocker
    97 F250 Super Duty - tow truck, 7.3l turbo.
    07 Ranger - parts chaser/daily driver

I`m assuming it is a 5.0 5 speed, correct? If so, I think that the combination is very similar to my 85 Mustang Stocker, EXCEPT that the 83 uses a hyd. flat tappet cam, where my 85 has the Hyd. roller. Same basic (crappy) heads and tiny port intake manifold, & 4180 Holley carb. Personally I think the 85 is a better combo since they both have the same NHRA HP rating(still not a great combo though), but it could still be a decent low buck deal. My 85`s natural class is also L/S, but with my plus size butt in the seat, I can`t get the car light enough for L, so I run some extra gas in the tank and run M.
    1978 Fairmont 428CJ 4 speed 9.972@132.54.mph[/ 1.29 60 foot.
    1985 Mustang NHRA Stock eliminator 302 4 speed M/S 12.31@106.99 mph, with 331 bracket engine: 10.29@128.71 1.37 50 foot
    1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan 332 FE auto (finally under construction witha 428CJ and 4 speed.)
    1974 F350 ramp truck 390 4 speed (gone buy not forgotten)
    2010 Ranger PU 2.3L 5 speed
    1999 F350 dually, V10 5 speed

Comment

Yes its a 5.0 5 speed. I agree the 85 is a better combo but I am only trying to get the car to run slightly under the index and I think it will do that.

Any opinion on the wiring?

Next year (hopefully) I will get back to work on my 85 for SS or GT. That will be my more serious car.
      John Quinn

Comment

John, you are allowed to completely rewire the car in stock.
        You may also eliminate all non essentials such as wipers, heater, a/c, etc.
        sigpic

Alex Denysenko
        Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
        NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
        First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
        First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
        5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
        Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
        Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
        Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
        Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
        Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
        www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Thanks Alex, that is what I was hoping. Now I just have to get to work on the car, I can hardly wait.

I am strong enough to walk out and look at the car but then I have to sit down and rest. At least I can go to work now, thank God my job consists of sitting and typing on a keyboard, that is as physical as I can get right now.
          John Quinn

Comment

You just take it slow John.
            One day at a time will get you there.
            sigpic

Alex Denysenko
            Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
            NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
            First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
            First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
            5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
            Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
            Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
            Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
            Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
            Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
            www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Working...