Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

302 boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 boss

In anyone’s opinion, would a 69' 302 boss be a wise decision to take on in stock eliminator or has the index been hurt due to nhra factoring it at 305 hp? My dad has a boss motor with virgin heads, intake, and a good crank. I'd just need the carb. The motor has been sitting around for years and I've always wanted to do something with it rather than sell it. Any info would be much appreciated. Or if you know anyone running this combo it'd be awesome if I could get a number to get a hold of them. thanks.
    :beer:

I tried a Boss 302 back in the 70's. In my opinion they do not make good drag motors. Mine was a 336 stroker in a dragster and I never could get competitive times out of it. I gave up when one of my crew members had a conversation with Bob Glidden and Bob told him he had tried a stroker Boss 302 in his pro stock car and had gone back to the Cleveland because the Boss 302 just couldn't compete.

Those heads are just too big for anything below 351 inches and actually seem to work best on engines of 370 inches or more.
    John Quinn

95 Mustang becoming a street rod
    85 Mustang coupe - becoming a Superstocker
    97 F250 Super Duty - tow truck, 7.3l turbo.
    07 Ranger - parts chaser/daily driver

Comment

I think it can be a competitive combination but I don't think it would be a killer combination. Keep in mind that you can only run it as a stick shift and was only available in a Mustang fastback or a Cougar Eliminator body. The problem with the factor could be dealt with by running the combination and petitioning Nhra to lower the factor. Z-28 camaros are competitive in stock and is a similar combination to the Boss 302. Last I knew you could buy the carb from Holley new as an oem replacement.
      www.lifterboretools.com

Comment

Z-28 Camaros have much smaller ports than Boss 302's and much better mid-range power. Broad torque curves win at the drag strip.

I had a long talk with one of Shelby's Trans-Am drivers once and he told me the Boss 302 cars had to get to the track several days before the race and test gearing in order to be fast because the engine only makes good power near the peak, The Chevy guys just showed up on race day because their mid range power allowed them to use the same gear sets on all the tracks.
        John Quinn

95 Mustang becoming a street rod
        85 Mustang coupe - becoming a Superstocker
        97 F250 Super Duty - tow truck, 7.3l turbo.
        07 Ranger - parts chaser/daily driver

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Boss 302 powered Mavericks used to rule the B Super Modified class in modified Eliminator back in the late 70's. Current Pro Stock Racer Mike Edwards won the Nhra Modified national Championship back in the early 1980's with one. The key to making that engine run fast is reving the $$$$$ out of it. Most of the time they were only about 318 cubes, just a little bigger than a stocker motor would be. And back then they didn't have sintered iron clutches or gears lower than 6.50. A friend of mine ran a boss 302 in the gt/d as a Factory Modified in nsca ( a Heads up version of Nhra Super Stock) and went 9.90's in 100 degree heat. I think it has potential but like I said earlier I don;'t think its going to be a killer combo.
            Last edited by winkster; 03-17-2008, 06:19 PM.
            www.lifterboretools.com

Comment

Personally, if it is a true Boss motor, you would be money ahead to sell the motor and finance a new one. There are many people restoring 69-70 Bosses that are looking for motors. A Boss 302 without a Boss motor is just a common Sportroof.

Mike Golliver-MCA Gold Card Judge Modifieds
              65 Kcode Coupe Retired MCA, Now a play car, 347, 4 speed,10.54@132.1
              66 Convertible, 3 dueces and a 5 speed on a 289
              01 GT Convertible
              05 F150 4X4 SuperCrew

M&M #79 June 99

Comment

Working...
              X