Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carb adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• indyphil
    replied
    Fuel/air mixture is all a carb does.

IF it hesitates when you step on it its probably an accelerator pump adjustment. There are different size pump squirters and different amounts of stroke you can adjust the pump to.

Leave a comment:

• Blacksmith
    replied
    Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
    The ingredients don't make the soup taste funny, it's usually the chef.
    TRUE!
    I probably need to tweak the adjustments on my carb. It has started to sputter/hesitate briefly when I step on it.
    Choke seems to eb adjusted OK. Fuel/Air mixture maybe???

Leave a comment:

• Buster
    replied
    Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
    Alex, I've got to tell my wife that one....

btw, her indicator for when dinner is ready is the smoke detector going off, kinda like an egg timer for most meals. I wish I was kidding. My kids still don't know what most food tastes like un-burnt and most likely is why my oldest son is a fireman and my youngest is going to be.

She has gone to the store for something while dinner is on the stove on high. Iíve repeatedly asked her to just tell me to check on the food if she has something she needs to do in the mean time. However, that hasnít worked so far.

Leave a comment:

• Moneymaker
    replied
    It's all about the details Phil, the details.

Good job!

Leave a comment:

• indyphil
    replied
    Well it seems it worked
    It still shifts by itself at about 5000 to 5500
    but if I put it in 2nd on the shifter it keeps pulling till about 6000.

I know my stock heads and plain jane performer intake are holding me back. That may change next year but at least now Im getting the most out of the current setup.

Leave a comment:

• Moneymaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
    At least Edelbrock's probably don't back fire & burn like Holley's do...
    Mine has backfired numerous times & burnt the inside of my air filter top cover.
    A buddy with a 68 FB said his Holley caught fire & blistered the paint on his hood before he could get the fire put out.

Leave a comment:

• indyphil
    replied
    They sure can backfire (edelbrocks that is).
    If you have not set up the ignition correctly (timing off or leads connected to wrong plugs) then you try to crank it. Then the fuel can pool in the carb and suddenly BOOM.

I always do my first test fire after re-building with no air cleaner and the hood off (or at least up) so that if I have things a little out of tune its only my buddies eyebrows at stake...

Cant wait to test it tonight and see if I was right.

Leave a comment:

• Blacksmith
    replied
    Originally posted by indyphil View Post

Now go ahead and bitch at me for using an edelbrock...
    At least Edelbrock's probably don't back fire & burn like Holley's do...
    Mine has backfired numerous times & burnt the inside of my air filter top cover.
    A buddy with a 68 FB said his Holley caught fire & blistered the paint on his hood before he could get the fire put out.

Leave a comment:

• indyphil
    started a topic carb adjustment

carb adjustment

I just wanted to share some fun I had last night with my edelbrock carb.
    No I didnt plant pansies in it and put it in the front garden, im still actually using it on my engine.

I had been struggling with a problem for a while. Sometimes the car would pull hard all the way to 6000RPM. Other days it would lay down at 5000 and feel more sluggish. I blamed fuel starvation at first and got a new pump but it kept doing it. Then I started wondering if the secondaries were not opening up. So last night I took a good look at what was going on.

I unhooked my throttle return springs to let me fiddle with the throttles. I found that a little mechanism on the back of the fast idle cam is used to prevent the secondaries from opening if the choke is still in operation. Progress I thought. So I adjusted the choke to make sure it would be more open (I put the electric adjuster in the summer position). When I put it all back together I had a Eureka moment.

I found that my throttle return springs were in the way of the little fast idle cam. Not enough to affect the fast idle but I think it was enough to hang up the little mechanism so that sometimes the secondaries would not open. So I cut the tab off the mechanism that holds the secondaries back, and will test drive tonight. Im almost positive that I found the problem.

If so It would explain the really sluggish performance and I should be able to make a decent improvement on my PB at the track. next time I go to the track I will probably have a new intake, and maybe even new heads, so it wont be a back to back, but its always nice to find the source of your little headache.

I may post some pictures later.

Now go ahead and bitch at me for using an edelbrock...
Working...
X