Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cam selection, one more time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam selection, one more time

okay guys........I know NOTHING about cams........except, in general, what they "do"........as far as the numbers go (lift, duration, etc) I understand the concept, but not the practice........I'm about to build my 289 (4spd manual trans).......this is NOT a "race car"......it will be a street driven (once in a blue moon track driven) daily driver.

Because it's going to be a daily driver, and because I'm not rich, I need to run the cheap stuff....87 octaine. So I guess I'm needing not more than 9.5-1 compression. Planning on an Edlebrock Performer intake, 600-650cfm Holley single pumper carb, factory mechanical fuel pump, long tube headers, with flowmaster 40 series exhaust (front entrance, front outlet to go in front of the rear wheels) and a pertronix ignition. I'm going to have a 2 angle valve job done on the factory 289 heads (I was told there's no reason for a 3+ if I'm not going to race it) and we're installing threaded rocker studs. (also replacing the lifters and springs to match whichever cam I get)

Now the question. I want this car to literally SHAKE when I'm at a red light.....not just the tip of the antenna.....the whole car.......not massivly, but I want to feel it.........I want it to sound like a Harley Davidson........My 69 had a 272 cam (don't remember the brand or specs)....it was close to what I'm looking for, but was idled down to around 5-600 rpm to get "the sound". My 73 has a 268 Comp.......specs are available.....but in order to get the shake/lope I wanted, I had to lower the idle to around 4-500 rpm.

I need to know what to get so I don't have to idle down so far.......friends have suggested everything from Comp to Lunati to Edlebrock cams........I don't know the difference........need YOUR advice........(btw, it's a 4-spd manual)

SO.......very heavy lope, decent power, 9.5-1 compression, daily driver. A "parking lot" dragster is what someone said the other day.

I'd appreciate any advice.....thanks in advance.........

Bryan
    "I bet if those cars could talk they would be begging to be driven by an average joe like us, who appreciates them for the machines that they are. They just want to be loved and driven. That is every cars dream."
    by: Richard, aka rmousir

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't...you're right."
    Henry Ford

------------------------------------
    Bryan Collins
    Freeland Cheverolet Nashville, TN

The Cars: www.geocities.com/ponyboystables
    The Band: www.myspace.com/jonesworld

i would reccomend one those that are about 2 foot long with the little bumps on it!! sorry, the devil made me do it!!:banana:
    mike r
    racing is real
    everything else is just a game.
    73 mach 1 clone
    83 ltd wagon, street strip. 302
    81 capri-302-7.25 @93mph 1/8
    1.54 60ft 50 % of the fun dragracing is meeting people who will give you the shirt off their back to wipe the grease off your hands.
    M&M member #839 http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/mike470/adel2.jpg
    since nov. 2000

Comment

ha, ha, ha,............funny.....you chebby driving @#$%&......... .........
      "I bet if those cars could talk they would be begging to be driven by an average joe like us, who appreciates them for the machines that they are. They just want to be loved and driven. That is every cars dream."

Henry Ford

Bryan Collins

Comment

Solid
        31-334-4 Comp will do the trick.

girlyman
        31-670-4 Comp
        sigpic

Alex Denysenko
        Co-Administrator

NHRA/IHRA/NMCA member and licensed Superstock driver
        NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06
        First NHRA & IHRA 289 automatic Superstock Mustang in the TENS 06-99
        First SS/MA in the TENS 04-03
        5 time IHRA division 5 Superstock Champion
        Fleet of FoMoCo products including 88 ASC McLaren Mustang #28

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

Quote #1: "I never met a magazine mechanic I liked."
        Quote #2: "Make sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth!"
        Quote #3: "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!"
        Quote #4: "Go fast or go home!"
        Quote#5:" No Brag,Just Fact!"
        www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Something with a tighter lobe seperation will produce a rougher idle without raising the rpm range up too high.

Isky has a line of Mega-Cams that are ground on a tighter 108 degree lobe seperation angle. Their 270 Mega Cam should be PERFECT for what you are looking for. Good, lopey idle. Good, usable power.

http://www.iskycams.com/

Of course, you should DITCH the regular performer intake for a Performer RPM. No loss in low-end, and major power increase.

Good Luck!
          http://webpages.charter.net/hotrods/n2oMike.jpg

Mike Burch
          1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
          Pump Gas Flat Tappet 302, 10.134 @ 134.71
          http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?220

Comment

Won't work for him Mike.
            He wants to run 87 octane gas.
            That's why I made those particular selections.
            sigpic

Alex Denysenko
            Co-Administrator

NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder 99','00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05 & '06

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Performer RPM cam sounds great.......do they make those with the "endurashine" ???........nevermind..........just answered my own question
              Last edited by Honeyburst; 12-07-2006, 01:18 PM. Reason: answer

Henry Ford

Bryan Collins

Comment

Honeyburst, quit being such a cheap b*stard! It's a darn HOTROD! You don't drive it THAT much, step up $0.10/gal for some decent fuel! Dang, what's the difference between $2.60 and $2.70, anyway?!?!

Get the right parts, part with that extra dime, and have a little bite to go along with that bark! :banana:

Good Luck!
                http://webpages.charter.net/hotrods/n2oMike.jpg

Mike Burch
                1966 Mustang, Toploader 4-speed
                Pump Gas Flat Tappet 302, 10.134 @ 134.71
                http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?220

Comment

Originally posted by n2omike View Post
                  You don't drive it THAT much
                  only to work, rain, sleet, snow and shine......kids to school, grocery, trips....you gotta understand......when I say "daily driver" I mean PRIMARY transportation......as in....yes, I have a minivan, but it never leaves the driveway unless I'm playing a gig (it's loaded down with a sound and light system...no room for anyone else but me).......

gotta run the cheap stuff !!!

Henry Ford

Bryan Collins

Comment

Alex, what's your opinion on this:
                    http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tType=camshaft

Henry Ford

Bryan Collins

Comment

I posted my recomendations.
                      sigpic

Alex Denysenko
                      Co-Administrator

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

thanks Alex.........I appreciate it.........I'll do my price checking on Monday.......do you have access to these parts ???

IF so........what kind of price can you get me on the cam/lifter/spring kit, manifold and carb (Holley model 4160) ?.....I've got a price on the carb for $199......and I'm looking for the Performer RPM with the Endurashine finish.......

Henry Ford

Bryan Collins

Comment

Originally posted by Honeyburst View Post
                          thanks Alex.........I appreciate it.........I'll do my price checking on Monday.......do you have access to these parts ???

IF so........what kind of price can you get me on the cam/lifter/spring kit, manifold and carb (Holley model 4160) ?.....I've got a price on the carb for $199......and I'm looking for the Performer RPM with the Endurashine finish.......
                          Send Alex an email he'll get right back to you with prices.
                          M&M #1240
                          Apr 2001
                          Ron

Comment

I second the 31-334-4 Comp Cam also known as the 282S. If you like a lopey idle, you'll like it cause it sounds like this at about 800 rpm:

282S idle

and it makes usable power in my 331 to nearly 7000 rpm...better than I ever expected.

Oh yea, I forgot...it's streetable, and with a T5z in 5th gear on the freeway at 70-75 mph, I got 17 mpg.
                            Tracy Blackford
                            Anaheim Hills, CA
                            '65 "Black" Ford Fastback. 331 custom built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, '70 351W self ported 1.94/1.60 heads, Hurricane Single Plane and 750 HP. T5z and 9" w/3.50s. Approaching 400 RWHP @ 6500. Mostly street, but also frequent a local road course throughout the year.

'65 Fastback

Comment

Originally posted by Honeyburst View Post

I'll reply to your e-mail just as soon as I get back from lunch and the post office.
                              sigpic

Alex Denysenko
                              Co-Administrator

The Barry of BarrysGrrl

www.moneymakerracing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X