Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine is out of Mustang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rusty428cj View Post

Total Control Products
    Hey Rusty, how well do the TCP mounts fit? I read on some old posts on another forum that the mount drops the FE engine anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch. Did you notice anything like that? Was it pretty easy to line up the long bolt that goes though the plastic and do these mounts make it easier to line up the engine with the trans and converter than the original mounts? The originals mounts make it hard to move the engine around with the two studs that are on the engine plates. I'm thinking of removing the studs and replacing them with bolts or just get the TCP ones if they work well.

And are there any updates to your stocker project?

Thanks!

Comment

I got those mounts a long time ago and don't remember having any issues with them. The mounts I have are not adjustable. About a week a go I took an aluminum intake down to my engine builder for the 428. We also discussed building a 462 FE for the Fairlane to race in NSS. My engine builder is like me doesn't have any good help (I have my son Brian but need to clone him) and has more work then he can do and keeps getting more. We are restoring a 69 CJ Mach 1 for him and trading labor so it is hard for us to get anything done on projects with no money coming in.
      Rusty Gillis

Gillis Performance Restorations
      727-847-7973
      www.gillisrestorations.com

Former NHRA SS/GA Record Holder 1969 Mustang
      Former NHRA SS/FA Record Holder 1968 Mustang

Comment

I got those mounts a long time ago and don't remember having any issues with them. The mounts I have are not adjustable. About a week a go I took an aluminum intake down to my engine builder for the 428. We also discussed building a 462 FE for the Fairlane to race in NSS. My engine builder is like me doesn't have any good help (I have my son Brian but need to clone him) and has more work then he can do and keeps getting more. We are restoring a 69 CJ Mach 1 for him and trading labor so it is hard for us to get anything done on projects with no money coming in.
        Thanks for the info, Rusty.

I don't know about the aluminum intake for your stocker engine. I went and got a nice PI intake and used that instead of the heavy cast iron CJ intake after they made the PI intake legal. That was a big waste of money. LOL I think we took off about 60 lbs but the car didn't run as well as it should have. Took the PI intake off and put the heavy one back on and I think we picked up about 2 tenths. I think you lose about 20 horsepower with the PI intake. I think you will be happier with the CJ iron intake. You just have to adjust your ballast weights.

Comment

I have a set of those mounts that are 1/2" lower for a SB. I have the motor set back 1/2" and down 1/2". Talk about a nightmare to make normal headers fit. Sheesh. Who know that little of a difference in engine placement could make the headers such a nightmare to install.
          I did find the trick to using those mounts is to leave the 3 bolts that are used to attach the brackets to the frames, and keep those loose. Once you get the long bolt back in, then you can place the spacers in there to move it either direction, then tighten everything up.
          Also, on a cleveland the mount that bolts to the engine will not clear screw in frost plugs without some serious grinding.
          Rob Hetzler
          M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
          Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
            I have a set of those mounts that are 1/2" lower for a SB. I have the motor set back 1/2" and down 1/2". Talk about a nightmare to make normal headers fit. Sheesh. Who know that little of a difference in engine placement could make the headers such a nightmare to install.
            I did find the trick to using those mounts is to leave the 3 bolts that are used to attach the brackets to the frames, and keep those loose. Once you get the long bolt back in, then you can place the spacers in there to move it either direction, then tighten everything up.
            Also, on a cleveland the mount that bolts to the engine will not clear screw in frost plugs without some serious grinding.
            Thanks! That's very helpful info. I think I'll just stick to the stock setup since I know it works.

Comment

The adjustable mounts are a pain but I did not have to modify the headers to get these to fit or any other clearance issues that I can remember.

Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973

Comment

The adjustable mounts are a pain but I did not have to modify the headers to get these to fit or any other clearance issues that I can remember.

Thanks for the photo. That Canton oil pan is nice but it's not legal for NHRA stock. The Milodon pan is though.

Comment

I was running Super Stock (not competitive) with that engine but it did run the 1/8 mile index back then.
                  Rusty Gillis

727-847-7973

Comment

Rusty,
                    It's time for an update........ Are you still aiming at having it at Norwalk in August?

Ryan
                    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                    X