Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It never ends.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It never ends.....

Even though life thru a curveball at me which severely limited what I was going to be able to do to my car this winter, since the motor really needs freshened up, I pulled it out, and started to tear it down, giving everything a thorough look over in the process. I got 6 rods/pistons out, and other than one rodbearing having lost it's shape (probably from heat) and not wanting to stay in the rod, another with a big scratch, and all of them looking like the bearings didnt have enough chamfer on the counterweight side, they looked fine. Then I saw it, a big crack in the #2 main web. I first spotted the water stain in the cylinder, and got to looking trying to figure out where it came from when I saw the "jagged line" running from the stain down the main web into the main bearing saddle. Freakin fantastic!
    I put a bag on the motor and came in the house. That was last night. I had no desire to look at it tonight. The motor had at the most 300 passes on it since the block was machined, and I hadnt done anything to it that would have been considered abusive; black was filled, mains were studded, main bores were align honed, Crower forged steel crank,7000 rpm shift point, 35* of timing, internally balanced, ATI damper, blah blah blah. Regardless of all that, I have a 130 lb hunk of scrap iron now.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

That suxs. Maybe you can find a good used block cheap. Maybe even an aftermarket one! Good luck!
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

I still have 3, 4, maybe 6, stock cleveland blocks. The problem is, it doesnt make any sense to me to spend all that money to machine another block if it's just going to break in 3 seasons.
      I asked Animal Jim tonight on facebook what would cause cleveland blocks to break main webs, and he didnt know. He said in all those years of running clevelands he never had one break a main web.
      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Wow man, that sucks
        I suppose an Titus aftermarket block isn't in the cards?
        1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle - Built Not Bought!
        347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Strip 10.44 @ 125.97

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle - 12 valve Monster
        244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Unreal another problem I feel your pain,I just hope it never happens to me I think I would quit using the Cleveland block I thought I was done with them when I started with the V-6 but.Well with 6 Cleveland blocks on hand I guess you could 3 or 4 of them and go aftermarket.
          1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
          1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
          NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

On the bright side, pat yourself on the back for being smart enough to find it before it ruined a lot of nice parts.
            '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
            My Mach's restoration progress
            My Sprint's restoration progress
            I wish Americans wouldn't take advice on complex social issues from people that make their living from the talents they learned in kindergarten; singing, dancing, coloring, playing pretend, tossing balls, telling jokes...
            Pay attention to the people who think and highlight honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLaRiviere View Post
              On the bright side, pat yourself on the back for being smart enough to find it before it ruined a lot of nice parts.
              For sure! Or even worse -- to break & lock up the drivetrain at speed -- 'causing roll cage testing to commence! :hammer::hammer:

Ryan
              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

And a big pat on the back for making enough HP to break a block! :banana:
                ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                  Wow man, that sucks
                  I suppose an Titus aftermarket block isn't in the cards?
                  Nope, no way. I just dropped 5 grand to have our home heat/ac unit replaced.

According a buddy of mine who was good friends with Dyno Don, it's not horsepower breaking my blocks, it's my choice of fuel; alcohol.

I'm seriously considering throwing a stock rod motor back together, essentially a grenade with the pin pulled. I have a crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, a block that needs one sleeve and filled (and I will fill it to within an inch of the deck), a set of heads and a camshaft. Given that I have to change rear gear ratios and am going to go a little deeper, I really think I could get it into the 6.40's with the glide behind it and the toilet on top of it. If/when it blows up, I wont be out much. Unlike if my 377 really blows up and ruins that nice Crower crank and those nice Oliver billet rods.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

How is that the methanol is the reason for the damage to the block,How does the block know what fuel is running thru it.Is it the more bang from compression,more timing with the alcohol I'm curious about that statement because I'm going to run some meth thru my V-6.

Comment

Cool find KV....on a side note, your profile pic is kinda.....hmmm.
                      M&M Member #91
                      Ford Dealership Engine/Chassis Master Certified Technician
                      US Navy submarine vet; Operation Iraqi Freedom vet..x 2...USAF Reserve...RETIRED, 26 total years

Current 2003 Azure Blue Mach 1. All My Past Mustangs:'84 GT-5 spd, my first; '91 GT-auto; '70 M-code Mach 1-grabber yellow; '95 GTS-5 spd, Pro-Charged, totaled; '95 GTS 5 spd, replacement; '89 LX 5.0 'vert-5 spd; '90 LX 5.0 hatch-5 spd; '69 M-code Mach 1-4 spd; '90 5.0 LX 'vert; '03 Mach 1-5 spd, '93 Mustang LX vert.

Comment

I dont know, he claimed because of the extra torque it makes it is really hard on parts. But I dont understand how a 625 hp, 7000 rpm motor is harder on parts because of alky than an 800 hp, 9000 rpm gas motor. I know you are loading more in the chamber, but it burns cooler so it cant be a heat issue. Heck, I was running less timing with this motor than I ran on my gas motors. I only had 35* of timing in it. I ran clear up to 45* in my gas motors and never broke a block.

Once I get it all the way apart and get a good look at the main cap mating surfaces, and the main bearings, I'm going to try to get a hold of Jon Kaase. If anyone would know why I'm breaking blocks it will be him.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Jeez, Rob... the news of your "discovery" even made MY guts hurt. I got a visual of the heat waves flying from your head when you put the bag over the motor.

This sounds eerily similar to what you found in your father's motor. Is there anything from the two engines that you might be able to draw conclusions (or hints) from?

Comment

I dont know. It's the same rotating assembly that was in Dad's motor. I did change balancers because the other one fit way too loose on the crank and we had thought that was why it cracked the main web that time. I bought a new ATI for it, and it still cracked a main web.

I wasnt mad when I saw it, I think dejected, disgusted, sick, etc are the more accurate terms.
                            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Wasn't cracked main webs a problem with the Boss 302,What did they find was the problem with that engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X