Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It never ends.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to read about your machine shop problems Rob. Unfortunately in general I think machine shops have a similar reputation such as body n paint shops acrossed the board. There are some good ones and not so good ones. Usually on time frames if they say 6 weeks it'll usually be a minimum of 6 months to get stuff back. Luckily I have a local drag racer about an hour from me that builds race engines on the side at his house. He can do everything except turn cranks and balancing in-house. He's reasonable and honest which seems to be a rarity these days.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

Comment

• Updation time.
      I called the shop Tuesday. Got the same song and dance of "we've got your block cleaned up and are going to get it filed today or tomorrow."
      Really? 3 weeks ago you said it would done in a couple of weeks and you just now "cleaned the block up"?
      I asked him if he had checked the crank yet? He kind of stammered around and finally said, "call me back friday and I will have more news for you."
      I hung up, and was not happy. 3 months and they hadnt touched anything yet. A buddy of mine who has a repair shop up by their second location (the one the owner works out of), has been taking stuff to them and getting it back pretty quickly. I sent him a message, just venting about how it would be August before anything was done and how they were lucky I didnt have time to run over there "today" or I was gonna pick all my junk up and take it to a different shop.
      He responded back "have you talked to Chris?" (Chris is the owner.)
      Me; "no, he works out of the Roxboro shop now and not the Burlington shop."
      About ten minutes later he sends me another message "call me."
      I called him and he said he had spoken with Chris and I was supposed to call him. Chris was going to go to the other shop and pick all my stuff up and work on it himself.
      I called Chris later tuesday, and he was down at the Burlington shop picking my stuff up. He said he wanted to go over what I wanted done just so he knew, and he apologized for it taking so long.
      Wednesday morning my cell phone rings and it's Chris calling me. "I spun your crank this morning...did we do the original balance job on this?"
      Me "nope, a shop in Iowa did it in 1994."
      Chris "well it's out about 10 grams in the front and the back."
      Holy crap, all those broken blocks because someone didnt do their job correctly the first time.
      The good news is, their is progress on my junk now and I may actually be racing before July.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Good to hear something is finally being done - by the owner himself even! But the crank not being initially balanced properly makes me sick to hear about! Cripes.

Comment

• Glad to hear that your getting somewhere with your parts! Big ouch on the crank though.
          79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

• Do you or the shop think the crank is salvagable or ???

Ryan
            Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• He said the only thing wrong with it was it was out of balance. He said it was gonna take somewhere around a 1/2" slug of heavy metal on both ends to get it corrected.
              Rob Hetzler
              M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
              Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                He said the only thing wrong with it was it was out of balance. He said it was gonna take somewhere around a 1/2" slug of heavy metal on both ends to get it corrected.
                Cool Beans!

Ryan
                Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                X