Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It never ends.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I meant to check it this past sunday after I warmed the car up, but I got distracted and forgot.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• The converter stalls right at 6100.
      Removing the mufflers accomplished one thing, it's LOUD. LOL
      It doesnt seem to have had any effect on how it runs. It's still slow, but consistent.
      I had one run that was a flyer and I'm not sure what happened, but over all the consistency was good.
      I won first round, lost second, bought back, lost third.
      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
        The converter stalls right at 6100.
        Removing the mufflers accomplished one thing, it's LOUD. LOL
        It doesnt seem to have had any effect on how it runs. It's still slow, but consistent.
        I had one run that was a flyer and I'm not sure what happened, but over all the consistency was good.
        I won first round, lost second, bought back, lost third.
        Were these passes with your 'old Dendenbear crossover box' ?

Ryan
        Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

Were these passes with your 'old Dendenbear crossover box' ?

Ryan
          Yep.
          I set it up to run in crossover mode the whole day. I just put the same numbers in both sides.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• If you go back to the large diameter headers, will you also go back to the Borlas (instead of the extensions) as well?
            What about the rear gear set change - have you considered dropping out the 5.29 chunk and rolling back in the 4.86?

Ryan

Comment

• I am currently in the process of putting the big pipes back on. The Borlas wont fit under the car with the big headers as the collectors arent in the correct location. Just to get the extensions on last time I had to "clearance" one of them with a big hammer.
              No, I'm leaving the 5.29 gear.
              I honestly think the biggest issue it has is the converter being tighter, but until I swap out the headers I wont know for sure.
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I like your plan, KV. I don't recall what cam you installed, but it must prefer the heavy breathing in the higher RPM levels....which would explain why it would prefer larger headers and more stall. The gear seems steep to me, but it must like it....are you running 1/8 or 1/4 mile tracks?

Ryan

Comment

• Everything around here is 1/8 mile. Although, by my rough calculations I could still run 1/4 mile with it. It would probably go thru the lights around 8000 rpm. The motor really "comes on" when it gets over 7000, and with the 4.86 I was only going thru the traps in the 1/8 around 6800. I wanted to get the motor up where it is making best power. My first thought was to throw a 5.67 in it, but I was afraid that would upset the chassis on the starting line. When my 4.86 was wore out and needed replaced I wanted to try something different and the 5.29 seemed the best choice. I have a 5.43 as well as the 5.67, but I know I wouldnt be able to run 1/4 with either of those, plus, once again, I am worried the car might not like it on the starting line.

The cam is 270/278 @ .050, 106 LSA, installed IC at 100.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• So the chances of you running a 1/4 mile track is slight. Do you think the 5.43 rear gear would help with the tight converter issue?

Ryan

Comment

• The 5:43 should make it even tighter,on my V-6 third i a 5:67 with a 31 tall tire and run through the lights at 8100 but the car only weights 2500 lbs and that 1/4 mile i think it 1/8 mile is 7000 or so and it .60 ft 1:34 best .Go for it gear that thang.
                      1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
                      1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
                      NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

• I would still be afraid it would upset the chassis having that much starting line ratio.
                        I've got the big headers on it now, and I'm going to not only see what that does to the performance, but I'm going to record a pass so I can see where the converter is flashing, where it is falling back to on the gear change, and how much rpm it is carrying thru the lights.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Good idea.... sounds like a sound plan, KV!

RECORD THREE PASSES, CHANGE ONE THING, RECORD THREE PASSES, ETC.

Ryan

Comment

• Three? LOL
                            I'm recording one.
                            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                              Three? LOL
                              I'm recording one.
                              KV,
                              Ok, sure, you've got your combo dialed in pretty close already.
                              Typically when you're trying to make a determination on a combination, you need more than one point to determine at what point the average performance can be expected. It's hard to draw a line on graph from only one point. Tn'T passes are what I'm getting at. Now maybe you don't have that luxury to make 3 passes....in order to determine repeatability.... I don't know.

Ryan

Comment

• I'm just looking to see the rpm is doing, that's all I'm really looking for.
                                I rarely ever go to a test n tune which means, I get two time runs then eliminations start.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X