Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It never ends.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV,
    Did you make it to the track?
    Were you able to determine what the RPM was doing?
    If so, what did it tell you?
    Did you decide to make any other change?
    Are you planning to race again this weekend?

Ryan
    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• I went to the track, but I never did record a pass. I was more worried about making sure the new box was functioning properly and that I had a little idea how to use it. The big headers made zero difference. I'm done changing stuff at this point. Everything is pointing to the converter, especially since it's the last thing left to change. LOL
      No one is racing this weekend, and next weekend is a 3 day big money race. I'm planning on going friday, but we only get one time run, so my focus will be on a good clean run from start to finish to try and get ready to make a run at the 10 grand on the table for the winner.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
        I went to the track, but I never did record a pass. I was more worried about making sure the new box was functioning properly and that I had a little idea how to use it. The big headers made zero difference. I'm done changing stuff at this point. Everything is pointing to the converter, especially since it's the last thing left to change. LOL
        No one is racing this weekend, and next weekend is a 3 day big money race. I'm planning on going friday, but we only get one time run, so my focus will be on a good clean run from start to finish to try and get ready to make a run at the 10 grand on the table for the winner.
        KV,
        Although not something you'd likely want to look at this week - do you think maybe that not epoxying the intake runners this time around might be the reason for your 'Cleve' to be be running out of steam for that last tenth?

Nevertheless, your plan sounds like a good plan! It wasn't really that long ago when you seemed baffled with broken engine blocks, fighting with pisz-poor machine shop services, and no motor in your hot rod...... Now you're aiming at the $10K prize!! Way to stick with the program and push through...... I wish you luck at next week's prize!

Ryan

Comment

• Thanks. I need some luck at this point.

I think it would have helped had I epoxied the ports, but I really think the main culprit causing it to not run the way I had thought/hoped it would is the converter is just too tight now. In hindsight I should not have had him tighten it up, but I really thought I was going to build a bigger motor.

I might stick a little more timing in it one of these days just to see what it does, but the car is consistent as it sits.
          I changed transbrake solenoids this weekend. The one in the car was leaking pretty good around the shaft for the plunger.
          I had to change starters before last week as well. That old Ford Racing starter still wasnt acting right. It didnt spin very fast, and once I would get some heat in the motor it would spin 3 or 4 times then practically stop. I replaced it with a new factory replacement Ford mini-starter off a '93 F150, and man that thing whips it over way faster now. It started better last weekend than it had started it in a couple of years.

Yeah, $10k to win for $100 entry is just too good to pass up. I might consider running saturday as well but I've already committed going to a birthday party for one of the guys we go to crossfit with and we know that's going to be a good time.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
            Are you going racing or going to the Bday party tomorrow?

Did you make the timing adjustment or did you decide to leave it as is?

Ryan

Comment

• I'm going to the party today. They are running the big money race tomorrow as well, but I'm going to pass on it. I'm going to run the normal payout race monday instead.
              No, I havent done anything to the car since I changed the transbrake solenoid.
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I decided "what the h**l", and stuck a couple degrees of timing in it.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Wishing you luck - continued safe & consistent passes, no broken parts, and placing in the $ today, KV!

Ryan

Comment

• I think the thing is too rich right now. It made ZERO difference adding 3 degrees of timing. But worse, when the air got worse as the day went on, it slowed down, and that's not normal for an alchy car. First pass it went 6.366. Since it still had a 6.36 on the window from two weeks ago, I thought, "cool, the timing didnt hurt anything at least." Second pass it went 6.382 and lost all of it before half track. It didnt leave as good as the first pass although the sixty foot barely changed. I figured I over did the burnout a touch. First round the air was pretty close to the same although a touch worse, so I dialed it a 6.37 (racing against a dragster dialed 4.71), and shortened my burnout a touch hoping to get it to leave better. It felt decent when it left, better than second time run, but I knew my light was L A T E and I was in trouble. Worse yet, it slowed some more to a 6.401 and I lost. I loaded it up, hung around for another round of both classes and took some pictures, then came home. I need to take some fuel out of it before I go again, and might need to buy a couple of pills as well. It currently has an 85 in it. I have an 88, but then my next pill to lean it out is a 102. That's way too big of a jump. I think I need to buy a 90, 92, and maybe a 94 or 95.
                    Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
                      Cool beans..... no breakages!
                      How are you determining it's rich? Just because it slowed some?
                      Are you able to get a look at exhaust gas temperature (EGT) readings?

Ryan

Comment

• I dont have an EGT. It slows down when the dew point goes up, which is a good indicator an alchy motor is rich.
                        Just to verify it, I sent a buddy of mine the weather data and the time slip info and he responded back almost immediately "it's too fat."
                        A few years back he won NHRA Div 5 Top Sportsman title running twin toilets on a BBC when everyone told him it wouldnt work. He knows his stuff.
                        Yesterday I swapped out the bypass pill from an 82 to an 88 to lean it out, and put the timing back where it had been.
                        I'm hoping to go saturday. If I dont make that race, it will be at least a month before I get to the track again.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I went yesterday. The car was much happier. It could probably stand to be leaned out a touch more, but I would have to buy a couple of bypass pills to do that.
                          It kind of surprised me a little first round when it slowed down .02, but I bought back, dialed what it had just run, and proceeded to get to the fourth round where I redlit, but ran dead on.
                          The car went;
                          TT1 6.314
                          TT2 6.314
                          Rnd1 6.334 on a 6.31
                          Rnd2 6.336 on a 6.33
                          Rnd3 6.331 on a 6.32
                          Rnd4 6.325 on a 6.32
                          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• SOUNDS LIKE A VERY SUCCESSFUL DAY AT THE TRACK TO ME!!! CONGRATS, KV!!

Do you think you will make another pill change to lean it down a tad more before your next outing next month?

Ryan

Comment

• I dont know. I'm having a tuff time convincing myself to spend 10 bucks shipping for $7.50 worth of parts.
                              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• So did you get any MPH or .60 ft pick up with the quicker et.If it were me I like consistency so I would leave it be and just kick some but and cut some lights.
                                1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
                                1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
                                NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

Working...
                                X