Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knock,knock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rory McNeil View Post
    I don`t come here as often as before, still check in just not as much. But I have talked to a few guys that used to be regulars, and several think that the site has turned more into a political and firearms site, and less of a car forum.
    Maybe that's why I dont post much any more. I rarely go in the gun section, and never go in the political section.

Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by Rory McNeil View Post
      I don`t come here as often as before, still check in just not as much. But I have talked to a few guys that used to be regulars, and several think that the site has turned more into a political and firearms site, and less of a car forum. Also, my local Mustang site, which mostly catered to younger guys with 87-93 FOX Mustang, has really turned into a ghost town. Seems like many younger guys have short attention spans, and have moved onto other venues, like mountain biking, import cars, getting drunk etc. Our local drag strip used to cap our Friday night "Street Legal" races at 225 cars, and usually had to turn cars away, in recent years, its not uncommon to only have 75-100 cars on a street legal night, and the number of FOXes has dropped a bunch, Even our regular weekend bracket races, and car shows have seen dwindling attendance. As I am sure most are aware, the younger generation for the most part, just don`t care about cars, racing, and car shows like we do, or did. I will be 60 years old this year, and have been racing every year since I was 16, I still mainly like the same type of cars I did 40 years ago, are still racing the same car for the past 30 years, still love racing, going to swap meets, car shows, have lunch once a week with a bunch of car guys, many I have been friends with for decades. But as racers and car nuts die off, or become too old to carry on with their car addition, very few younger guys to take their place. Hell, it seems that 1/2 the young people around here under the age of say 25, don`t even bother to get a drivers license anymore, let alone a car of their own. They would much rather spend their free time, sitting at Starbucks, with 4 or 5 friends, texting or playing with their Smart Phone, ignoring their friends at the same table, who are doing the same thing. Sad, but it seems to be a sign of the times.
      Rory,
      Well said...... and it sounds oh so familar......

The way I see it is the past Obozo years have figured out how to squeeze even more $$ from anyone still working, of anyone that tries to save a couple bucks to spend on a hobby or sport,,,, how most of the media looks down on any one talking favorably of any type of internal combustion-powered motorsport as evil and bad for the plant,,,,,, combined with the increased number of venues competing for the limited 'mad money' some still have.....the car hobby is being slowly smashed between a rock and a hard place.......

Last month I went with a friend to Detroit's CoBo Hall, to walk among the latest hot rods @ the AutoRama show. The last time I went to that show was probably 12 years ago. Well, it was a good time, but I wouldn't say it was filled with electricity as in the past. Maybe it was just my perspective, but I left (after 7.5hrs) with an opinion that nearly half of the attendees were white-haired fans.... not a sign of a 'growing' hobby.

I'm not ready to start digging a grave for the hobby of motorsports as I know it. Many of the autos driven today are not very 'shadetree mechanic-Friendly' any longer. A person needs to nearly be an IT / electronic engineer to do much repairing or even tweaking on them. That fact paints many of us blue-collar folks out of the day-to-day automotive picture,...,, we end up taking our daily drivers to the dealer for most of their care and end up simply sitting in the 'customer's lobby' talking about sports/politics. And once back home, we are looking at doing simpler things - gardening/shooting - during our precious free-time hours of our weekends. We're just witnessing the changing times.......

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Quote: I don`t come here as often as before, still check in just not as much. But I have talked to a few guys that used to be regulars, and several think that the site has turned more into a political and firearms site, and less of a car forum.

I dont like to hear this as there is a simple solution to correct this......post something CAR related instead of complaining. just my old fashioned 2 cents
        34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Working...
        X