Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb thoughts

Hello all, I'm debating putting a new carb on our 70 Mach, power is a .30 over 351 Cleveland, 4V closed chamber heads, Crane mild hyd flat lifter cam, dual plane Ford D1ZX intake, FMX auto, 2500 stall converter, 2:75 gears. Mostly street driven. I'm open to either holley or edelbrock carb, mostly gathering info now. I'm not concerned with concours type, just smooth reliable driveability. I've heard good things about the Edelbrock thanks for your thoughts M&more folks.....
    1970 Mach 1, my wife's first car purchased for $1800 in 1977. .30 over 351 Cleveland 4V FMX tranny. Best ET with 3:00 to 1 gears 13.9 @ 102 mph

I really like the QFT carbs. They have a nice finish and clear float glasses, and run right away with very little tuning out of the box.
    Randy
    68 Cougar XR7, Heidt's R&P, Blown 331, 9"
    69 Cougar Eliminator
    71 Pinto-289, auto-ex drag now on street

Comment

Eddy carb or a Holley.....probably something like a Holley 3310ish would work. No matter what you decide on it'll need a lil' tuning.
      79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
      69 Stang Vert
      69 Stang Coupe
      92 Stang 5.0 LX
      other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by randyg View Post
        I really like the QFT carbs. They have a nice finish and clear float glasses, and run right away with very little tuning out of the box.
        Randy
        this !
        34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the Edelbrock carbs. They are mostly a rehash of the old Carter AFB. A lot like a Quadrajet, they use metering rods instead of jetting to control fuel. Have you looked at the Summit Racing brand carbs? They are a remake of an older Holley, they look a lot like the old Autolite carbs. I put a 600cfm on my E350 with a 460 C6 motor home, it ran great right out of the box, no adjustments needed. I think a lot of Holley parts like jets fit them, too. You can also get a dual pumper version in a 750 if you need one that big. One thing I like about them is there are no gaskets below the float levels, so one less leak.
          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
          -----2000 Expedition XLT 4.6----
          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

700 bp out of the box..

mike r
            racing is real
            everything else is just a game.
            73 mach 1 clone
            83 ltd wagon, street strip. 302
            81 capri-302-7.25 @93mph 1/8
            1.54 60ft 50 % of the fun dragracing is meeting people who will give you the shirt off their back to wipe the grease off your hands.
            M&M member #839 http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/mike470/adel2.jpg
            since nov. 2000

Comment

Quick Fuel! We rarely have to move the jetting around much on the dyno and they start and idle great right out of the box. I first tried them on my 347 and have put them on every engine since.
              1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle - Built Not Bought!
              347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Strip 10.49 @ 125.35

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle - 12 valve Monster
              244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Originally posted by capri man View Post
                700 bp out of the box..

700 bp???
                1970 Mach 1, my wife's first car purchased for $1800 in 1977. .30 over 351 Cleveland 4V FMX tranny. Best ET with 3:00 to 1 gears 13.9 @ 102 mph

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, the QF is a great looking carb, not too bad on the wallet either....Not that looks makes a difference, but I really like the clear bowl sight glass

Comment

I bought a QF from Alex when he had a sale. It took very little tuning to suit my engine.
                    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                      I'm not a big fan of the Edelbrock carbs. They are mostly a rehash of the old Carter AFB. A lot like a Quadrajet, they use metering rods instead of jetting to control fuel. Have you looked at the Summit Racing brand carbs? They are a remake of an older Holley, they look a lot like the old Autolite carbs. I put a 600cfm on my E350 with a 460 C6 motor home, it ran great right out of the box, no adjustments needed. I think a lot of Holley parts like jets fit them, too. You can also get a dual pumper version in a 750 if you need one that big. One thing I like about them is there are no gaskets below the float levels, so one less leak.
                      I had the Holley version on my Cougar and was really happy with it. I don't think it had quite as much performance potential as the standard Holley, but I pretty much bolted it on and drove it.
                      68 Cougar - 289, 4-speed
                      '08 Mustang Bullitt #4492
                      Previous Mustangs - '98 Cobra convertible, 87 GT

Comment

Originally posted by fredfordguy View Post
                        Thanks for the advice guys, the QF is a great looking carb, not too bad on the wallet either....Not that looks makes a difference, but I really like the clear bowl sight glass
                        QF has clear bowl sights, very nice
                        1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle - Built Not Bought!
                        347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Strip 10.49 @ 125.35

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle - 12 valve Monster
                        244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

QFT or Holley.
                          VIN 1F05M139343
                          71 Mach 1 Ram-Air
                          351C C4 trans
                          Hans Olsson

Comment

Originally posted by fredfordguy View Post

700 bp???
                            DP, sorry it was late.. lol
                            mike r
                            racing is real
                            everything else is just a game.
                            73 mach 1 clone
                            83 ltd wagon, street strip. 302
                            81 capri-302-7.25 @93mph 1/8
                            1.54 60ft 50 % of the fun dragracing is meeting people who will give you the shirt off their back to wipe the grease off your hands.
                            M&M member #839 http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/mike470/adel2.jpg
                            since nov. 2000

Comment

Fred,
                              Holley recommends the DP = Double Pumper carbs usually with a stick or manual shift car.
                              With your FMX automatic transmission they recommend a carb with vacuum-actuated secondaries. https://www.holley.com/support/faq/

I would highly recommend you consider changing the 2.75 ratio rear gear set for a 3.55 or 3.89 with a traction loc differential. You'd feel a HUGE seat-of-the-paints difference!

Because of the 2500 stall converter adding heat, do you run a transmission fluid cooler?

What exhaust system do you have on it - headers or exhaust manifolds?

-- Keep us posted on your decision and how it turns out for ya!

Ryan
                              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X