Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Track Day with Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Day with Video

Yesterday I met up with Dennis for the Pro Stick race at Mason Dixon Dragway in Maryland. Pro Stick had 50 cars. I had a pretty good day and made it to 3 cars left but I lost in the semi's.For some reason I was hitting the tree most of the day and the car was running fairly consistant. In Pro Stick there a $25 reward for the best reaction time during the 2 time runs and I won that with a .002 (Woo Hoo!!!) In the 3rd rd there was a special bonus of $200 in honor of a former Pro Stick racer Bill Smith who recently pased away. I also won that with a .006 light. It was a hot n muggy day but I was going rds and hitting the tree. Here's how my reaction times when..... .002,.023, .033, .048, .006, .005, and I saved the worst light of the day in the semi's with a .080 to the other lanes .021. I couldn't catch him and I actually ran out by .001. So my Cinderella day came to an end. But I did get $250 for that rd which made a $475 day which had me stoked. On the downside I think the 8.8" rearend is about to say "Uncle" again because it got noisier with every pass so I'm gonna look inside it and see what it looks like this week.

For Father's Day I got a camera for in the car. Still getting used to operating it and only got recorded 2 runs. Here's a Video of a 10.52 at 128.4 run.

https://youtu.be/nRO_8ST2vMU
    Last edited by Tater351C; 06-26-2017, 12:38 PM.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

Cool!
    Any day you actually win some money at the track is a great day. I hate to hear that about the rear end though. What is the weak link in the 8.8?

When I click on the video link, there isnt anything there when Photobucket opens.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Thanks Rob. Photo Bucket was slow n PIA with me earlier today. I'll get my wife to take a look at it tomorrow n hopefully update it. Weak link in my 8.8" has been the ring gear teeth. Some guys seem to have better luck with them but they all say it's just a matter of time before the gears have issues. I think there a 9" in my future!!
      79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
      69 Stang Vert
      69 Stang Coupe
      92 Stang 5.0 LX
      other DD's

Comment

Cool to hear you made some cash and went rounds Tater! Pretty impressive string of lights! The video didn't work, I'll try again this afternoon.
        1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
        347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
        363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
        244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Here's an updated link to the video.

https://youtu.be/nRO_8ST2vMU
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

Hell yeah! Wish the camera had been just a little higher up so we could see out the windsheild!
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Great vid Tater! You aren't kidding about the rear end noise. Like nails on a chalkboard

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, what do you normally 60' Tater? I know I'm a slower than you but wonder if I'm in the ballpark of where it should be.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Cool video man! Stuff like that is gonna light a fire under my butt and make me get my car put back together quicker..
                  Rob Hetzler
                  M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                  Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Poppy, seems like mid 1.40's are about the normal so far. I wish I would've went with a lower gear in the trans. than a 2.98. Car has 4.56 in the rear and I don't wanna go any steeper than that with this engine combo.
                    69 Stang Vert
                    69 Stang Coupe
                    92 Stang 5.0 LX
                    other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                      Cool video man! Stuff like that is gonna light a fire under my butt and make me get my car put back together quicker..
                      Thanks Rob. Glad to help.
                      69 Stang Vert
                      69 Stang Coupe
                      92 Stang 5.0 LX
                      other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                        Poppy, seems like mid 1.40's are about the normal so far. I wish I would've went with a lower gear in the trans. than a 2.98. Car has 4.56 in the rear and I don't wanna go any steeper than that with this engine combo.
                        I'm sure you could order a lower set from G Force, not cheap though

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Tater was having a great day and we could see it on his face. Happy to see him go rounds in his stick car and having all those great RT's. Good Job!

Build that 9" right with the rear cross brace, aftermarket axles, and a good carrier for the gears and you won't have to worry about it for a long, long time. New Gforce gearsets are somewhere in the $450 for the pair. Another issue is that they may also need to change out the head set too in order to get you to where you want. I'm actually considering backing off from the 3:18 first gear to cut down on the spread between 1st and 2nd gear to increase the mechanical reliability from shifting clutchless (maybe 3.07 or 3.08.) It would be easier on the sliders.

PS: I was going to suggest that you port your video to Youtube as I have had much better results there vs Photobucket.
                          Last edited by Dennis112; 06-27-2017, 04:53 AM.
                          Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

After taking the rearend cover off I didn't find any broken or cracked gear teeth but there was a good amount of fine metal in the bottom. I checked the backlash and it had increased from original setting of .006 to about .018. The patttern looks too high on the heel side of the drive side now. It looked ok at first install. To me it's kinda like the pinion gear is climbing the ring gear. There's no movement fore or aft with the pinion. I'm not an expert or anything but everything seemed fine when I put it all together and it was nice n quiet but it got progressively louder after make a handful of passes. So with that said I have a new set of 4.56 on the shelf I'll probably install later on and try to sell the whole 8.8" setup later at a Swapmeet. Currently planning on getting a 9" setup together as $ allows and bite the bullet. So no racing for awhile for me.
                            69 Stang Vert
                            69 Stang Coupe
                            92 Stang 5.0 LX
                            other DD's

Comment

What I find kinda weird about it though is I've always installed gears in this car for decades. Probably 8-10 different ratios from a couple different brands. When the car had a C4 in it with nitrous from 100-200 shots right off the line with 60 ft time's in the low 1.30's I never had any gear issues. I guess a manual transmission combo does find the weak link?
                              69 Stang Vert
                              69 Stang Coupe
                              92 Stang 5.0 LX
                              other DD's

Comment

Working...
                              X