Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poppy65
    Gearhead ~ Supporter
    • Jul 2007

If it helps ya when the time comes to getting your 9" together I have a set of 35 spline, lighten'd, big bearing Strange axles with about 10 street miles on them and no passes I could sell cheap. If they work I guess, they are factory '65 width. Have a Strange S case sitting around as well after I went lightweight with an Alloy HD case but don't think it would be strong enough for you.
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

• Tater351C
      Sage
      • Apr 2008

I'll keep that in mind Poppy. Thanks. Definitely going with 35 spline. Currently have 33 spline in the 8.8" n never had any issues with them. Been looking at 9" stuff from Strange, Moser and Quick Performance. Choices.....choices....and none of them are low cost. Lol
      79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.11 @ 133.8
      69 Stang Vert
      69 Stang Coupe
      92 Stang 5.0 LX
      other DD's

Comment

• Poppy65
        Gearhead ~ Supporter
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Tater351C
        Choices.....choices....and none of them are low cost. Lol
        Not many things in life worth a d@mn are, LOL

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

• Tater351C
          Sage
          • Apr 2008

At this moment I'm really not sure what to do. I'm thinking take the rear out and have someone else put a set of new gears/ new bearings in it since my last 2 attempts didn't work out. I really don't have the extra stash cash funds for a full bore 9" build. I guess I've missed something on gear setup or something? IDK...
          79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.11 @ 133.8
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

• Tater351C
            Sage
            • Apr 2008

Just an update. I got the 8.8" rear outta the car. I stripped it down and cleaned it all up. I put new pinion races in it and installed a new Ford Racing 4.56 gear set on the pinion and the spool.Looks like Sunday I'm gonna hook up with Dan the Man from Pro Stick past 2 time Pro Stick 2X Champ to set them up since I've lost my faith in setting them up. Dan's car run's similar to mine and he hasn't had any ring n pinion failures in awhile and he agreed to set this one up for me......lucky thing is he's local. I'm kinda frustrated with some other things I noticed on the car. Right now I just wanna get it all back together and probably park it for awhile and concentrate on getting the 69 Vert. back together. That project is at a stand still ATM and I don't like not having that thing ready for the Fall months. I have limited funds and they only go so far......
            69 Stang Vert
            69 Stang Coupe
            92 Stang 5.0 LX
            other DD's

Comment

• Ryan Wilke
              Sage ~ Supporter
              • Oct 2000

Tater,
              I understand what you mean with your comment on "'since I've lost my faith in setting them up."
              When you tore it down, did you find anything out of the ordinary?

Ryan
              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• Mustang Mike
                Moderator ~ Supporter
                • Feb 2006

Awesome video, Tater! Keep that up and please post more! Love it!

Comment

• Tater351C
                  Sage
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke
                  Tater,
                  I understand what you mean with your comment on "'since I've lost my faith in setting them up."
                  When you tore it down, did you find anything out of the ordinary?

Ryan
                  Yes, the last 2 gear sets were from Richmond and Motive. They both just slide right up with no tension on the spool. The ring gear I just put on the spool was a Ford Racing set that I've had on the shelf new since 2006. I had to pull it over the shoulder of the spool with 4 bolts. Bull took a look at it before I tore it apart n said the backlash was ok to him and he did the marking compound different than me and also turning the gears differently than me. His pattern showed the pinion gear not deep enuff. Guess it's my FU and lesson learned. I've did this stuff just by book articles n pics n until now have been lucky I guess. From now on I gotta do better. This stuff adds up $ wise when you "think" your doing ok but you ain't even in the ballpark. I admit I F'd up anyway. Lesson learned. Not the first time n hope not the last. I'm good a F'g stuff up lately it seems.

69 Stang Vert
                  69 Stang Coupe
                  92 Stang 5.0 LX
                  other DD's

Comment

• Ryan Wilke
                    Sage ~ Supporter
                    • Oct 2000

Tater,
                    It's called 'The learning curve'.... so stop already on beating yourself up over it. It does no good to continue. As many of us have learned (the hard way) books and pictures only go so far... yet for many of us that is all we have or can afford. You're lucky you have a guy you trust that can show you first hand instead of having to learn it all by trial n' error. Hey - you were very smart to stop and pull it down, before it blew up! Minimal damage = minimal cost under the learning curve.

Moving on.... let's get that baby buttoned up, lubed up, run it in a bit on the jack stands forward and reverse a bit; I'd suggest you make some notes in your 'race journal' for future reference,,,, then on to the trailer it goes!

Ryan

Comment

• kid vishus
                      Sage ~ Supporter
                      • Oct 2000

I agree with Ryan. I've tore so much stuff up over the years when I thought I was doing it correctly, it's scary to think of all the money I've wasted.
                      Rob Hetzler
                      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4I...neWtCOJ1y_rHVQ

My Photo Page

Comment

• Ryan Wilke
                        Sage ~ Supporter
                        • Oct 2000

Tater,
                        Are you headed out today? If so, I am wishing you lots of luck and successful rounds!

Ryan

Comment

• Ryan Wilke
                          Sage ~ Supporter
                          • Oct 2000

Tater,
                          What has been going on with that 'hot stick ride' of yours?

Ryan

Comment

• Tater351C
                            Sage
                            • Apr 2008

Just an update. The transition to a 9” has started. I bought a fabbed 9” Foxbody housing with almost all the extra spots checked off on the order form (it’s a brute!) with Moser 35 spline axles with 5/8” studs n spool, Yukon HD iron case, yoke, alum. Daytona support, nice set of Richmond used 4.71 gears (Thanks Dennis!), double adjustable lower control arms with 5/8” hardware. Also got a new set of Aerospace rear drag brakes. Bull n I test mocked up the housing in the car yesterday and we’re gonna have to move my current rear Anti-Roll bar but everything else appears to be ok. Wish I could post some pics but can’t since the photo bucket thing. Hopefully have more progress soon.
                            69 Stang Vert
                            69 Stang Coupe
                            92 Stang 5.0 LX
                            other DD's

Comment

• Poppy65
                              Gearhead ~ Supporter
                              • Jul 2007

Kewl! Who's housing did you go with?

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

• Tater351C
                                Sage
                                • Apr 2008

Looked at Moser, Strange and Quick Performance finally decided to go with Quick Performance. They were easy to worth with and before purchasing they answered my questions on the phone without hesitation. One of my racing Buddies stopped by and said the housing fab n welds looks like an art piece. I told him if I was smart I’d just hang it on the garage wall. I might put a Wishbone Bar on the future: needed list. Since the upper/lower control arms are double heim joints. Looks too tight to add a Panhard or Track locator bar. Lol.....it never ends.
                                69 Stang Vert
                                69 Stang Coupe
                                92 Stang 5.0 LX
                                other DD's

Comment

Working...