Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Track Day with Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tater / Dennis,
    How are you fellas coming along with the prep of your hot rods?

Ryan
    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Procrastinating some here due to the March NE weather, but expect to get some seat time by mid April. Our first Prostick race date is Memorial day weekend so that's when the stick points racing begins.

I've installed an Griffin aluminum radiator with Contour dual fans and a 3G alternator to keep the battery charged. Also added a generator and battery charger to my racing program to maintain the battery when I run the fans between rounds. I Recently pulled the motor and oil pan to check it out. It looked real good so I decided not to freshen it up (but have all the parts on hand should I later feel its necessary.) The motor has been reinstalled but I need to run to Gforce for a couple of tranny gears next Friday. It should be back together and road/race worthy that week end.

All that should be left after that is to install a new harness but I've have been waiting as long as possible to get one with dates that should be good until the end of next year. A fresh set of slicks will be coming too to be installed for the Memorial Day weekend.
      Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Dennis,
        Sounds like you pretty well have your weapon assembled, polished and ready to do BATTLE!

Why the new radiator - were you having issues with the old one not keeping it cool, or is it simply less weight?

What is the name of your home track - how many cars would you guesstimate participate in its Stick Points Racing?

Ryan

Comment

I thought I'd be saving some weight going with the aluminum radiator/electric fans but it was pretty much a wash in the end. Even so, I was intrigued that I could come back to the pits, shut the motor off, and leave the fans run for 5 minutes or so to cool off the radiator for the next round. It should help increase consistency in the later rounds when the car doesn't have adequate time to cool off. Once I spring for the electric water pump to circulate the water, I am told that I'll be able to cool my motor down to ambient temperature in about 15 minutes. Cooler motor means more HP.

My home track is Beaver Springs in Central PA. I also frequent Mason Dixon in northern Md which is Tater's home track. Prostick is an informal group of guys who travel to various tracks in PA, MD, and VA on an organized race schedule. There is no set # of people in the group who participate (the only requirement is to follow the Prostick rules and if you do, you can race.) The group is reasonably close nit and we usually average 30-50 race cars at any of the dozen or so events which are often tied to old school Nostalgia weekends at the tracks. Points are kept and the purse is decent. In February we have our annual banquet and this year over 185 people came--the event is much better than the typical track type banquets. The website is : http://www.prostickracing.com/
          Last edited by Dennis112; 03-15-2018, 03:27 AM.
          Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

When I had the 306" in my '69FB, I had installed a MOROSO electric water pump drive kit and had dual electric fans. I had the fans wired to a thermostat that would cycle the fans from a temp setting, but I usually switched them on/off manually based from the gauge temp readings. I really liked it.

Your Prostick group sounds like lots of fun. I attended one of the UMTR-North races held at Thompson Dragway (OH) a couple of years ago. That group seemed like a fun bunch too. They rarely schedule a race here in MI. Here is the 3028 UMTR-North schedule:

PACEMAKERS DRAGWAY
            SATURDAY JUNE 9
            SATURDAY July 7

DRAGWAY 42
            SATURDAY JULY 21

Thompson Dragway
            SATURDAY JUNE 30
            SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 8 ( Gasser meet)

PITTSBURGH NOSTALGIA RACE WITH PRO STICK
            SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 29
            SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 30

http://www.umtrnorth.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8498

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
              When I had the 306" in my '69FB, I had installed a MOROSO electric water pump drive kit and had dual electric fans. I had the fans wired to a thermostat that would cycle the fans from a temp setting, but I usually switched them on/off manually based from the gauge temp readings. I really liked it.

PITTSBURGH NOSTALGIA RACE WITH PRO STICK
              SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 29
              SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 30

http://www.umtrnorth.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8498

Ryan
              Yet another testimony as to why I should go with an electric water pump . . . . I'll probably use the more expensive Meziere 50 gal version as it is street friendly and has the provisions I want. I'll either do a mid year change or (more than likely) include it in next winter's projects.

I always try to run at the Pittsburgh nostalgia race weekend when its on the Prostick schedule-its a fun place to race and the field is more diverse. If your a closet old Mopar fan, lots of representation in most of the racing classes. I'd love to make the hike and race National Trailways someday--to bad that UMTR didn't get a Columbus date.
              Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis112 View Post

I'll probably use the more expensive Meziere 50 gal version as it is street friendly and has the provisions I want.

I've been running the Meziere for 10 years now without a hitch. Great pump.
                1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Hey Ryan, TY for your interest. Dennis, nice chatting at the banquet. After the awards I BSíd with a couple people n looked for you but you mustíve cut a trail. Update on my stuff is the 9Ē rear is in the car thanks to Bull helping me a lot with all the involved install. I got lucky and was able to reuse the driveshaft after swapping the front yoke out. FWIW....the 9Ē turned out to be around 1 1/2Ē shorter than the 8.8Ē setup as far as driveshaft length. This car is sucking $100 bills from me lately. Lol. New battery, seat belts, tires...etc. I drained the oil n it looked ok so gonna go over the valves n hope to make some TnT passes soon at Mason Dixon n hope it hooks n goes straight. Big TY to Bull!!! Heís an older hot rod/drag racer guy that has shown/taught me sooooo much stuff this Winter with this transformation with my car! Hopefully I can pass that on to a younger than me guy who has the interest in the future!!?? Pics to follow. Tater
                  79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
                  69 Stang Vert
                  69 Stang Coupe
                  92 Stang 5.0 LX
                  other DD's

Comment

We'll be here waiting to hear about your TnT sessions rowing thru the gears!

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                      Hey Ryan, TY for your interest. Dennis, nice chatting at the banquet. After the awards I BSíd with a couple people n looked for you but you mustíve cut a trail.
                      Yeah, I bugged out early due to needing to let the dog out (since the wife was visiting Seattle.) Its a 90 minute drive both ways so I wasn't coming back. LOL Good seeing you though!

Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

Comment

Good BSing for a few Dennis! Bull n I had lunch 2 weeks ago with Eric that runs Pro Stick. Had a pretty good time BSing and talking about current things. I brought up the point about no real younger guys racing in the group and before we finished I felt like a young guy at 50 years old. Lol.
                        Last edited by Tater351C; 03-24-2018, 11:17 PM.
                        79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
                        69 Stang Vert
                        69 Stang Coupe
                        92 Stang 5.0 LX
                        other DD's

Comment

Yesterday I worked on the car for good part of the afternoon. I took some more base outta the clutch n adjusted the valves. Probably didnít change 1/4 of them n only tightened the rest of them a couple thousand. Iím a fan of the Jesel shafts!! They work!! I put some new Autolite 3923 plugs in n gapped at .040 they are a step colder than the previous plugs. Changed the oil n filter and the old oil didnít look bad for any reason of concern. Put 6 qts of Brad Penn 20-50 synthetic in with a Fl-1A Motorcraft filter. Still have some things to get squared away but hope to be making some good noises in the shop soon. Iím REALLY looking forward to this year!!!
                          69 Stang Vert
                          69 Stang Coupe
                          92 Stang 5.0 LX
                          other DD's

Comment

We'd get more young guys if the group permitted nitrous. Its about the cheapest way to go fast and can better suit the young guys budget. Seems that imports are not allowed to run either? I know of 1 turbo Honda guy who is wants to race with us and want to get in on some of the good stuff that Gforce developed for them. I told him to give Eric a call.

Your down to doing the "small stuff" so you must be pretty much ready now. Are you going to hit a MD T&T soon (well at least after the weather breaks?)

I'm pretty much ready too. Ran to Gforce on friday and got parts and assembled/installed the tranny yesterday. Dropped the 1st gear ratio from 3.17 to 3.02 in an effort to stop breaking head sets. (2 sets a year is too much in my book.) Still need to order the harness (probably today) and do a couple of piddly things and I'll be ready too.
                            Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

Comment

Glad to hear your about ready Dennis! Dave and Bull have their cars ready to go and weíre all thinking after the weather breaks to make some TnT days at Mason-Dixon. They both swapped their G Force G101 4 speeds for G Force GF5R 5 speeds and are anxious to get some passes in. Bull is even talking a road trip down South in April to a Gear Jammers Race. I told him Iíd go along n crew chief. Lol. Just hoping my junk goes straight from the get go n doesnít have too many issues.
                              69 Stang Vert
                              69 Stang Coupe
                              92 Stang 5.0 LX
                              other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                                Bull is even talking a road trip down South in April to a Gear Jammers Race. I told him Iíd go along n crew chief. Lol.
                                How far south? I know they run several tracks around here.
                                If it's the Farmington race, I'll more than likely also be there running Top.
                                Rob Hetzler
                                M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                                Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X