Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing updates

Since my previous thread had turned in to a novel and was not focused primarily on the racing aspect, I figured I would start a new topic to leave some not so thrilling updates in.

Last weekend, there was a 3 day race at Rockingham. Since we had plans on saturday, I took friday off work and made my first trip ever to 'The Rock'.
    First pass, the car spun. Everyone was spinning. One guy about 4 pairs in front of me spun so hard he turned it clear around on the track. Luckily he never hit anything. I had thought the car was going to go 6.28, but it only managed a 6.31.
    Second time run I turned the 2 step down, let the tires down, and softened the rear shocks up. It hooked a lot better (I'm sure the track got better too as it got heat in it and more cars went down it), and the car went 6.286 and I had a .013 bulb. Cool, I'm all set to go some rounds and bring home the big check.
    I filled the cell back up, and as I was walking around the car I noticed a leak. Uh oh, where's that coming from. I poked my head under the car and saw fuel running out around the fitting in the bottom of my fuel pump. Dang, hopefully it's just loose. I grabbed a wrench, reached under there.....and nope, it's tight. I stuck my head under there to get a good luck and saw a crack in the middle of the 90* bend (tube type fitting.) I pulled it off, dumping 3 gallons of alchy on the ground since I didnt have a way to cap it or capture the fuel, and went trailer to trailer hoping someone would have a spare with them. Since it was an oddball, I was out of luck. I went to the tower, got part of my money back, and came home. I fixed it the very next day. I changed it up some and completely removed the filter from the inlet line.

Yesterday, went to the track again to get some seat time and try to change my luck before the big money races coming up in November.
    Once again, I guessed the car would go 6.28 off the trailer. It went 6.291 and I was -.001 at the tree. Cool. I stuck a little time in the box, and like a dummy raised the shift point to see if the car would like that. The shift point ended up being too close to the hi end rev limter and it actually hit that chip about the same time it tried to shift, so it slowed down a touch and went 6.33 with a .013 light.
    I swapped the shift chip out, dialed it 6.30, and rolled up for first round. My light was not good, his was horrible. I drove around him, whacked it 3 times killing 4 mph and got the W going 6.330. I figured wide open it would have gone 6.310 or so. I left the 6.30 on it, went up for second round, ran it out wide open and went 6.309 and got the W. My light was a touch better but still not where I wanted it, so I took some time out of the box, left the 6.30 on the window and went back up for third round. I got lined up with car dialed 6.24 to my 6.30 so I knew we would be side by side all the way. I was .019 to his .024, and when we hit the finish line I could not tell who get there first it was that close. Turns out, he did by .001. I'm not sure why, but my car slowed down to a 6.327.
    It wasnt the outcome I was looking for, but all in all it wasnt a bad. Well, other than the float sticking on my generator after second time run causing a mild panic, but that's another story. LOL
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Sounds like the car is pretty consistent, which is what matters in bracket racing. While it might not be as fast as you want it, it might get you into the money runs more often than a wilder combo would. Back when I was dabbling in brackets, there was this guy that had a basically stock 73-76 Malibu, might have had dual exhausts was about all, and he was in the money just about every week in the slowest class. We were in about the middle of our class, some faster, some slower, while this guy was always the slowest car in the slowest class, but he could almost always cut a good light. He always got the head start and everybody had to chase him down, and they broke out trying. I mean, this thing was a snail! We ran against him in time trials a time or two, he'd be halfway down the track before we got a green, we'd catch him right at the line, but he'd trip the win light.

Oh, I was helping my wife's cousin's first husband, he had a 69 Camaro, 383 stroker, tunnel ram with two fours, big cam, 400 turbo. I could cut better lights than he could, but it was his car, so he drove most of the time. He never made it past the second round, but we had a lot of fun.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Any idea what the track temp was at Rob? How old was the fitting?
      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
        First pass, the car spun.
        I had thought the car was going to go 6.28, but it only managed a 6.31.
        Second time run .............. ..........................................the car went 6.286
        I guessed the car would go 6.28 off the trailer. ....................It went 6.291
        The shift point ended up being too close ................................went 6.33
        I swapped the shift chip out, dialed it 6.30, and got the W going 6.330.
        I figured wide open it would have gone 6.310 .......ran it out wide open and went 6.309
        I took some time out of the box, left the 6.30 on......but my car slowed down to a 6.327.
        Was the 'time out of the box' the reason for it slowing to 6.327?
        Do you plan to do anything before the next race?

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

KV,
          I recall a while back you were considering changing out your shocks for some Viking Cursader DA shocks...were you able to pull the trigger on them?

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
            Any idea what the track temp was at Rob? How old was the fitting?
            I have no idea on track temp. But since it was partly cloudy and only 74* out, I'm sure it wasnt bad.
            The fitting was only a couple of years old. That was the second time it broke a fitting in that same spot so I changed up the feed line a little.

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

Was the 'time out of the box' the reason for it slowing to 6.327?
            Do you plan to do anything before the next race?

Ryan

No, the only thing taking time out of the box affects is reaction time. I dont have a throttle stop on the car.
            At t his point I think I'm gonna leave it alone for now. I need to buy some new hi side rev limiter chips as the highest one I have now is only 8000 rpm. I tried shifting at 7600 but I think it was too close to the 8000 chip and it actually hit the rev limiter before it shifted.

No on the Viking shocks yet. I plan on buying a set this off season.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

What box are you running? My 6AL2 starts dropping cylinders 300 - 400 rpm early as well. I leave my high chip (dial in this case) 600 high and it's fine.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

It's a 7AL2 box with a plug in 2 step and an rpm switch for the shifter.

I really figure if I want to shift this thing 7600-7800, I'll probably need a 8800 or 9000 rpm hi side chip.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

If anyone is interested, and works for a company that is pretty open minded about internet use, I'm going to the track tomorrow and saturday, and Motormania TV will be live streaming the event. It is an all door car event, so there wont be any dragsters there. There will probably be close to 300 entries though, so it will take awhile to cycle thru. I do plan on double entering on Friday, but not on Saturday.

https://livestream.com/MotorManiaTV/2017ADSN

Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Have to check it out Rob. If you have time, could you post the run order for today?

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                      If anyone is interested, and works for a company that is pretty open minded about internet use, I'm going to the track tomorrow and saturday, and Motormania TV will be live streaming the event. It is an all door car event, so there wont be any dragsters there. There will probably be close to 300 entries though, so it will take awhile to cycle thru. I do plan on double entering on Friday, but not on Saturday.

https://livestream.com/MotorManiaTV/2017ADSN

KV,
                      I wish you the BEST of luck this weekend!

Ryan

Comment

Well, how did you make out today?
                        ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                        -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                        -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                        " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                          Have to check it out Rob. If you have time, could you post the run order for today?
                          It's only one class; all Top ET.

Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
                            Well, how did you make out today?

First time run it went 6.221@109.6.
                            Second time run it went 6.244@109.4
                            First round, first entry (I double entered), it went 6.246 on a 6.24 for the W.
                            Left the 6.24 on the window for the second entry, and went 6.241 for the W.
                            Second round, the temp dropped about 15*, so I dialed it 6.23. But then turned it red, and went, you guessed it, 6.245.
                            That entry was done, so I bumped the dial back up to 6.24, adjusted the box for the redlight, and went back up. And the temp dropped even more, and the humidity went up. I missed the tree, had the worst 60' of the day, the car went 6.252 against a former world champion, add all that together and it meant my day was done.
                            I'm going back tomorrow, but only with one entry, and try it again.

Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Yesterday wasnt great, but I guess it could have been worse.
                              I am so far behind on seat time, that the guys at a race like that are on a different level than I am right now and it puts me behind before I ever unload the car.
                              Our one and only time run, the car picked the front wheels up, then hiccuped. It hasnt done that in 4 or 5 yrs, and I had fixed the issue that was causing it back then. I figured based off the air from the day before that it knocked two numbers off the sixty foot, which then put the rest of the pass behind right away. I knew I had missed the tree as well, and the car went 6.302.
                              The air wasnt as good as Friday, so for first round I took a stab at a dial in. If I wouldnt have run Friday, I would have dialed it a 6.28. But since I ran Friday and the car went a lot faster than it had all year, I figured I better play it safe and put a 6.27 on it. Before this gets too long winded, it felt good when I let go of the button, but it went .016 red (with the same time in the box I went .014 red the night before), and the car went 6.289. Oh hell, the car is too good to put it on the trailer, and I actually felt good letting go of the button on the last pass, I went and gave them money for the "re-entry". All the buybacks had to run each other, then if you won that round you got to go back in to second round. I added time to the box to set up for a .010 and dialed it a 6.28.
                              I was .012, went 6.287 @ 108.55 and got the W.
                              Left everything alone for second round, had a .021, caught the guy I was running, whacked it at stripe killing the mph back to 106.2, went 6.302 and got the W. The math showed it would have gone a low 6.29 wide open. 3rd round it had gotten clear dark. I dialed it 6.29. I was behind from the start. I was .022 to his .015, and all the car could muster was a 6.305 and I lost by .006 MOV.
                              I might be done for the year, if not I'm only going to go one more time, then I'm going to pull the motor out.
                              I want to change the heads on it, check to make sure the bearings all look good and nothing weird is going on in the bottom end, move the cam timing a couple of degrees, etc. I want to have everything done and be ready to start at the same time as everyone else next year so I'm on even footing with them.
                              I need to run leakdown on it first, I'm not real happy with how much blowby is still coming out of the breathers at this point.
                              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                              X