Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like I need to pull the transmission back out. We used a stock pump in that case, and from what I am reading that wont work. Unless I stage with the rpm over 2200, it backs out of the beams when I set the transbrake. Needless to say, I lost first round when it backed out, bought back, and lost second round.
    Nothing will get done to it today. I spent 4 hours in the emergency room after 3:30 this morning with a kidney stone. I'm pretty tired and still all loopy from the drugs they gave me.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
      It looks like I need to pull the transmission back out. We used a stock pump in that case, and from what I am reading that wont work.
      Where did you read you need a different pump?

Was it written in the BTE/Reid paperwork that came with the new transmission case or from another source?

After the deal with the non-fitting fill tube, I am not liking this chain of events........

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• The case didnt come with any paperwork. I started doing a bunch of reading online, and everyone says that because of the larger passages in the transmission, it needs a bigger pump to keep the pressure up when the t'brake is applied. I'm thinking most guys who are at the level that requires an aftermarket case already run a bigger pump.
        The fill tube is just one of those things that is a PITA on all of them. I had an expectation that an aftermarket case would have done something different with that bad factory design, but I guess to keep it so guys could use their existing parts they left that area alone.
        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Ahhh,,,,,, the bitter pill that the School of Hard Knocks & Busted Knuckles can be!!! We have all had to swallow it a time or two......

Glad that you have done some homework and come up with a reasonable idea as to why it was backing out of the beams.....I hope that fixes it.

Ryan

Comment

• Got the transmission out of my car. Turns out part of the reason (maybe the entire reason) the dipstick tube was leaking was due to the o-ring getting torn when I put the dipstick tube in.

Yesterday I ventured in to dangerous waters and took KK's car to the track and raced it. Actually, attempted to race it. Man, I can NOT cut a light footbreaking. LOL Or at least not without some seat time first. We had taken her car to test n tune a couple of times (the first time was an unmitigated disaster), and the last time out it seemed to run ok (although still not perfect so I made a couple of changes.) Since she was wanting some data from an actual race, it didnt take much to convince me to go. I figured the car would be a low 6.60 car with this current gear set up, and I wasnt off on that.
            I managed to get to the staging lanes quickly, and they always give the first 5 pair down the track a "free" time run. I figured I could use the extra practice at cutting a light. Turns out I needed about 10. LOL
            First pass it went 6.636. Right about where I figured it would run. But man, it leaves soft compared to my car. Hell, it leaves soft compared to A LOT of cars. LOL
            I waited until they said "final call" for first time run and went back up. It went 6.627. Cool. It's consistent.
            Second (and final) time session, I went back up, and the car said "hey ya'all, watch this", and proceeded to go 6.576. Well crap. Now what? And my lights? Oh, they were terrible.
            .105 first time run
            .052 second
            .117 third.
            I figured if I didnt get a better light, it wouldnt matter what dial was on the window. I guessed at the dial in not knowing what it was going to do in the heat of the day (stuck a 6.57 on it), and figured I needed a light at least in the 40s to be competitive. I turned it red. Bet you didnt see that coming? LOL
            It was -.012, so at least it was close.
            As for what it ran, it went 6.627 again. I'm not sure where the 6.57 pass came from. With no harder than it leaves now, I'm betting we can run at least 9 lbs in the slicks, maybe more. It didnt go straight as an arrow down track, so at least I have that part corrected.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Got my transmission back from the shop yesterday after work and already have it up in the car. Took the day off work to finish getting it ready to go tomorrow.
              They replaced the pump (with the new one I bought), and put some new design servo in it. There were a couple of small things they changed that they said should help my reaction times, and a couple of other things they have figured out over the years. I'm really looking forward to hitting the track tomorrow to see how this thing is gonna work now.
              They ended up installing this servo in it.
              https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4484-sm...tyle-servo-kit
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Car is loaded up and ready to hit the track today. It seems to shift a lot harder now than it did before, and my preliminary testing showed it doesnt budge when I set the transbrake.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Wish ya all the luck, KV!

Ryan

Comment

• .003 red in the third round.
                    I was dead on with a 4, the guy I was running was .065 and went 6.17 on a 6.19 dial.
                    Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• How did the new trans work?

Ryan

Comment

• Hey Rob. Glad to hear. Sounds like trans is working with the dead on dial. Sux on the double 00 red but thatís just part of the game. Sounds like your a player again!!
                        79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
                        69 Stang Vert
                        69 Stang Coupe
                        92 Stang 5.0 LX
                        other DD's

Comment

• The trans works great. First round I was dead on with a zero. Second round it spun the tires a touch and lost a little ET, but everyone was battling that.
                          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                            The trans works great. First round I was dead on with a zero. Second round it spun the tires a touch and lost a little ET, but everyone was battling that.
                            Well, that's great to hear!
                            Now that your confidence is back re: the transmission working as it should, make the appropriate 'adjustment' to your box and you'll be on top of light again!

....Anything else you want to 'tweak' with the car?
                            Any dripping at the dipstick?
                            The starter worked well?

I'm sending you positive karma for more low 6.2x ETs (maybe a sub 6.2 ET is in your future?) and continued low 1.3x 60fts.....

Ryan

Comment

• It never leaked a dropped until I loaded it. Then it leaked just a little, but stopped. I'm not sure what was up with that unless once it got a lot of heat in it caused it to be slightly over full.
                              Everything works real well. I'm pretty pleased with how it is working right now. The car was sloooooow yesterday. The air was crap. It was really humid and alcohol doesnt like humidity. It was actually running high 6.30s yesterday. Some of that was this particular track as the car is slower there than anywhere else, the traction wasnt great due to the heat, but the rest of it was the air. The dew point hovered around 66-68* during the middle of the day, and that's the worst it has been so far this year.
                              They actually gave us half an hour of open time runs, so I got an extra hit in. My first light felt dead late when I let go of the button (and was already running a little more in the box than I usually do at this track), and it was .017. I left it alone for first time run session, and I was -.001. I added .010 for the last time run and was .007. Left it alone for the first round and was dead late due to some jackass playing games. I'll remember that, and the next time we run he's gonna learn I can play games too. Second round I was still amped up from the jackass in the first round, and was -.012. Luckily the guy I was running redlit first. I honestly believed most of that redlight came from still being ticked off (they were running us thru pretty quickly), so I only added .005 to the box for the third round. I should have added .010.
                              I got some good data, the car is working well, and nothing broke. I'll be set for the next time out. I could go today to a different track, but sitting out in the heat all day, one day out of the weekend is enough for me right now.
                              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Sounds like a good weekend for ya, KV! Glad to hear the leak has apparently 'healed'. I saw your launch pic on FB and your concern on the slick pressure.....although it tends to shorten the life of your slicks, I'd say if the car is working - then the setup is working - including the slick pressure.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X