Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad your car is working for you Rob! I totally understand what your saying about the heat n humidity!!!! I actually despise this current weather trend here.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

Comment

• Supposed to be hot again this weekend, but I'll probably go anyways.
      The weekend after the 4th they are having a big bucks race fri/sat/sun at Farmington, and I want to run Friday. So having an extra day of data would be useful, especially with the transmission needing new delay numbers in the box.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
        Sounds like a good weekend for ya, KV! Glad to hear the leak has apparently 'healed'. I saw your launch pic on FB and your concern on the slick pressure.....although it tends to shorten the life of your slicks, I'd say if the car is working - then the setup is working - including the slick pressure.

Ryan
        I wasnt so much concerned about as I was just posting a comment before someone else said "your air pressure is too low." I might make the first pass this weekend with more air in them just to test it, but I am sure with my current shock set up it wont like it and I will be right back down to where I have been.
        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Awsome that all of the work and frustration paid off. Should be going rounds now even if the track temp is hot enough to cook an egg, lol
          1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
          347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
          363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
          244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

• Loaded up and ready to hit the track today. Supposed to be 91* or so with a heat index around 97*. Should be a nice balmy day. :P
            Seriously though, it's gonna be hot, but not as hot as some other areas of the country. Plus, I didnt spent all that money to fix my transmission to leave it sit on the trailer.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Balmy....yeah, right. KV, I wish you all the luck,,, be careful and may good luck be with you! -- Ryan
              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• The only luck I had was bad.
                It was HOT. The car count was low, and because of it they had first AND second round buybacks. I normally dont buyback twice even if it's offered. But today, I kept thinking, my luck has got to get better. Well, it didnt. I lost first round by .008 MOV to a multi time track champ when my car fell off the dial, so I bought back. I lost second round on a double breakout AND gave the finish line back by .0003. I broke out .006 to his .004. I figured this cant keep happening, so I bought back AGAIN. I was .0003 at the tree to his .019, and my car decided AGAIN it didnt want to run the same number back to back and fell off a bunch. For some reason today it wouldn't run the same number back to back to save it's life. I talked to a couple of other guys who were having the same problem. Yet KK's brother, who I was parked next to, ran 5.95 every freakin pass except the third round when he broke out with a 5.948.
                First time run it went 6.369. Second time run it went 6.354. So I dialed 6.35, and it went 6.380. I bought back, dialed it 6.37, and it went 6.363 whacking it one time at the stripe. Half track showed it would have gone a mid 6.35 wide open, so I dialed it 6.35 for third round....and it went 6.384. What the hell?!?!?!?!
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Hate you had such a bad day Rob. Sounds like the weather didn't stay consistent . I remember back when I was helping with a car on hot, humid days you never knew what to expect. We always did better running heads up on days like that, at least we could get a few rounds in, didn't matter how much it gained or lost, just so you got to the stripe first.
                  ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                  -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                  -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                  " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Bad thing is, the air didnt move much from first time run to 3rd round.
                    Hopefully this upcoming Friday the car will be back to normal.
                    Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
                      Sorry about the lack of consistant runs, but I'm glad your hotrod didn't get hurt....

Ryan

Comment

• After thinking about it, I think it was a track temp issue. It was hot, the heat index hovered right around 100* most of the day. And there were a few big ole puffy clouds in the sky. That meant most of the day the track was baking in the sunshine. But every now and then, one of those clouds would cover the sun for 10-15 minutes or so at a crack. I really think that was what was making the ET move like that. I didnt log when the sun was out versus when it got cloudy, but I may need to do that for future summer time races.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• If you don't have one, you may want to consider picking up one..... an IR Temp gun.
                          Like this one: https://www.sears.com/extech-42515-i...amp;gclid=CMCh 0JCJ_tsCFcaYgQodwjIJ0Q&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CPb S1JCJ_tsCFUZ2wQody9IKzA

They come in real handy to check the temp of various things like: the asphalt in the staging lane, each header pipe, your slicks tread (both sides), center wheel bearing cone on the trailer axle, temp of trailer tire sidewalls, etc. What seems to work best is to be consistant in WHERE you take the temp - such as same location (1.5" off of head) on the primary pipe, same color of asphalt (not on a patch, then on faded pavement), etc. AND at the same distance away, such as at a 6" distance. Realize too, temp guns are not created equal, some top out at 300*F, others at 1000*F. If you want to check header temps, you'll want to get one that will go up to 1300* or more. Just a thought....... Add these readings into your routine checks (weather station checks) prior to every pass, it may be helpful....such as noting differences in track temps.

Ryan

Comment

• Did your 60 fts vary much? Sounds like pretty hot day with a super hot track surface which can throw variables at you. But like you said KK brothers car ran dead on for the most part. Just makes you wonder where/what to look for with your car. Take today off n kickback.
                            79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
                            69 Stang Vert
                            69 Stang Coupe
                            92 Stang 5.0 LX
                            other DD's

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                              Did your 60 fts vary much? Sounds like pretty hot day with a super hot track surface which can throw variables at you. But like you said KK brothers car ran dead on for the most part. Just makes you wonder where/what to look for with your car. Take today off n kickback.
                              Good points, Tater..... KK's brother didn't make changes to his dial, yet he ran nearly the same dial all day long.....and if KV's 60ft's differed between rounds, then maybe would indicate some wheel spin or bog or ?

Ryan

Comment

• So last weekend, when my car would go 1.35 it would run 6.35. When it wouldnt, it would go high 1.36 or a low 1.37 and run high .37 low .38.
                                This week, it wasnt near as hot, and the car was "normal". They were supposed to be having a 10K to win race Fri-Sun, but Friday they only had 31 cars shows up (I stayed home as the forecast was horrible, and turned out to be correct.) I went Saturday and they still didnt have any where close to enough cars to pay the purse. There may have been 60 cars on the property. So they changed it to a hi roller race and paid back 100% of the entry fees, and the track kept the buyback money.
                                My car ran ok, but the driver just cant cut a light anymore. I know the prescription in my glasses isnt correct, and I'm starting to wonder how much that is messing with me.
                                I lost third round. Time runs the car went 6.274, then 6.286. I really figured it was going to go 6.28 when I unloaded it. First round it went 6.285 on a 6.28. Second round it went 6.288 on a 6.28. Third round, once I got strapped in, I started thinking "I bet this thing is gonna go 29." Too late to do anything about it then. I was .027, the guy in the other lane was .016, he went 4.790 on a 4.79, and mine slowed to a 6.298. Even if I would have dialed a 6.29, I would have just lost by less.
                                It's two weeks now before anyone is racing again. I'm going to call my eye dr Monday and see how soon she can see me.
                                Plus I want to move the cam forward 2* and see what that does. I really think it should have been put in on a 102 centerline, but the guy who spec'ed it said to install it on a 104 so I did. All my junk has always ran best on a 102. I figure it wont hurt to try since I know how it's running now.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X