Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV,
    So if your car makes better passes in two weeks, will it be because of the cam timing change or because of the eye exam/prescription change?

Ryan
    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• Reaction times are all new glasses will hopefully help. I know this prescription is wrong.
      Cam timing change should do something for how the car runs. It's pretty consistent, but when I stuck this cam in I was hoping for a little more gain than I saw.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• What a coincidence, I went to the eye doctor last week for 1st time in two years. My left eye needed a good bit change n right eye was just slight change. Iíve told a couple racing buddies to look out at the next race cause Iím cutting the X-mas tree down! Lol Iím interested in what the cam timing change makes in your car.
        79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.282@130.86
        69 Stang Vert
        69 Stang Coupe
        92 Stang 5.0 LX
        other DD's

Comment

• I know my prescription is off. The last set of glasses I had gotten was probably 2 yrs ago. About 6 months ago I noticed I was having a really hard time seeing the tv, the computer monitor, reading, just everything. I did a little research, and it seems when people with a really bad astigmatism like I have get to be a little older, their eyes will actually get a little better. So just for kicks I dug out the previous set of glasses I had and tried them. By god, I could see a lot better. I know they arent "right", but I could actually see again. I've just been dragging my feet on going to the eye doctor again. I wasnt happy with the last two visits to the last doctor I was seeing, so I need to find a new one. Plus, with as bad as my eyes are, even with decent vision insurance, it costs a bloody fortune to get new glasses and I hate paying for it.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
            KV, So if your car makes better passes in two weeks, will it be because of the cam timing change or because of the eye exam/prescription change? Ryan
            KV,
            What I was trying to suggest was to just make one change at a time..... first the eye glasses.....; "see" / realize the change at the track....then make the cam timing adjustment.

-- Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
              Third round, once I got strapped in, I started thinking "I bet this thing is gonna go 29." Too late to do anything about it then.
              What do your use for your dial? Shoe polish? I switched to using a dial board with velcro on my window and love it. I usually check the weather station before heading up and put on a preliminary dial. Sit in the car watching the pairs in front to see if there are a lot of breakouts or cars running slow and can make a last minute change if need be before pulling into the water box.
              1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
              347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
              363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
              244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

• Yeah, I still use "shoe polish." Its actually made for dial ins, but I write it on the window.
                We have to have the dial in on before we leave the lanes. And there are usually 2 pair waiting behind the water box outside of the lanes. We have to write the dial on the windshield as well, so a dial in board still wouldnt work real well for me. And one track the tower is on the passenger side, so there's no way I could change it there either once strapped in.

I usually have a good idea what I'm going to dial before I leave the trailer. Then once in the lanes I count back to see who I've got. If it's a slower car and I'm crossing over, sometimes I'll dial it up one just to give me another option at the other end. But if it's a dragster, I'm dialing it what I think it's gonna run and wheeling it out the back door. My 108 mph versus their 145+, I just cant judge that.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

KV,
                  What I was trying to suggest was to just make one change at a time..... first the eye glasses.....; "see" / realize the change at the track....then make the cam timing adjustment.

-- Ryan
                  Already got a good bit of the front off the motor tonight.
                  New glasses wont affect how the car runs, hopefully just the consistency of my lights.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I still use polish for my class designation and won some stuff from All Star performance at the banquet last winter. Nice crisp lines and wipes right off. Nice stuff.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

• I use stuff called "Write On"
                      It wipes off easier than anything I've found and wont stain cheap Lexan like a lot of other stuff does. I bought some stuff one time and I literally had to use a paint polish to remove it from my side windows.

https://www.carmarker.net/Write_On.html
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Couldnt get an eye doctor appointment until the 19th. I did get the front of the motor apart and found my timing chain is wore out. The gears still look like new, but the chain is stretched all to hell. I ordered a new set (different brand), and it wont ship until the 16th. Good thing my next scheduled trip to the track isnt until the weekend of the 28th.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                          Couldnt get an eye doctor appointment until the 19th. I did get the front of the motor apart and found my timing chain is wore out. The gears still look like new, but the chain is stretched all to hell. I ordered a new set (different brand), and it wont ship until the 16th. Good thing my next scheduled trip to the track isnt until the weekend of the 28th.
                          Any ideas as to what would cause only the chain to turn to junk?

Ryan

Comment

• My only guess is given how nice the gears were and the low cost of the set, they "saved" money by using a chinkaneese chain.
                            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I use timing sets with thrust bearings from Ed Curtis. Nice piece, You may want to check them out. Not terribly priced and use a good German chain.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

• I ordered a Rollmaster for it. German chain, dual thrust bearings, etc. Twice the cost of the set it is replacing, but hopefully worth it.
                                In all honesty, if that chain would have lived, it was a nice set. Billet gears, bronze thrust washer between the top gear and block, less than 60 bucks. But if the chain wont live, it's not a good deal.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X