Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's why I got out of racing 30 years ago. We always ran heads up, run what you brung and hope you brung enough! Then all the tracks started switching to brackets to give the "little guys" a chance, yeah, right, it only made it that much harder and expensive to run. It got comical, watching a 4 sec rail chasing down a 15 sec stock driver {1/8th mile times}. A few years ago, I figure after declining revenue and crowds, a few local tracks started bringing back heads up, but with a twist, it was actually more like class index racing. Classes were set something like 7.5, 6.0, 5.5. 4.0, etc. You had to run at least one time trial, that set what class you were in, you could run up to the index, but not under, that was a breakout. It has taken hold at most tracks now, and you get to see some good racing along with the normal brackets. I toyed with building a 80's TBird I had back then, but never pulled the trigger. I just sit back and enjoy reading y'all's doings....

Oh yeah, we didn't run boxes back then, it was all footbrake, or transbrake if you had the bucks. I don't remember if there were any boxes back then, may have been, just didn't see many of them.
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
      A few years ago, I figure after declining revenue and crowds, a few local tracks started bringing back heads up, but with a twist, it was actually more like class index racing. Classes were set something like 7.5, 6.0, 5.5. 4.0, etc.
      Index racing is a blast! Love the pro tree and having both cars leave together. At our Muscle Car series, the indexes are broke down in half second intervals. If you win your index you move on to CUBE (can you beat everybody) That gets real interesting when each index races each other with a staggered pro tree. Last time I made CUBE we made three rounds and I was the slower car every time. I think that's an advantage as you don't have to sit on the 2 step so long and get the first hit at the tree. No box's or stops. I haven't ran it in a few years as we where always stuck somewhere in the middle of a class but hoping the car will get fast enough to run 10.0 next year in the heat. Best if you can run half tenth under and tune the car according IMHO.
      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

• If this works, it will be the video from MotormaniaTV of my first round win sunday when I had to run KK's brother. You'll have to stop it when the pass is over as I dont know how to "stop" the video feed, only how to start it from a certain spot.

https://youtu.be/EwUpOkUv4Kk?t=1h31m29s
        Rob Hetzler
        M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
        Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Index racing = bracket racing where someone else sets your dial in. I ran some Hot Rod/Super Street years ago with my other car and did decent enough at it. It was fun. But it's not really something I would want to do all the time.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• So I decided to swap the current custom ground cam out of my motor and put the Crower shelf cam back in it. I cant seem to find what this custom cam likes. Plus, if I run both in the same year with the rest of the combo exactly the same, then I will really know how the custom cam compares to the Crower.
            I got the intake off last night (among some other things), and it looks like there is some reversion going on, at least at low rpm.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I watched the whole video of the race,How often do you guys race for that kind of money here in California I only know of two races where that kind of money is available to win,The spring fling in las Vega and one race in Fontana Figspeed West Coast race.If you are racing for cash like that alot i can see why you are concerned about how your car runs.
              1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
              1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
              NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

• There are probably more than a dozen races during the year within 2 hours of me that pay 10K to win. And honestly, I think it's too many. I went to one earlier this year, and they didnt even have 60 cars show up. And since the purse wasnt guaranteed, they had to cut the purse, a ton.
                That was Sunday's action, and we didnt get a time run that day. We got one time run Friday, and one Saturday. I whomped it twice before the stripe on him Sunday morning or it would have broke out. There are 2 more race weekends this year that I plan to run that pay at least 10K to win each day. I think there are at least 4 or 5 left if I didnt mind driving a little farther. But honestly, for the most part, those guys are in a different league than me. One of them I am going to run is a doorcar only race in November. MotormaniaTV will be broadcasting from it live all weekend.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• When they have Figspeed race at Fontana the parking lot is full.And other than that the only bracket racing is the Summit series.Crower has there Crower cup at Barona 100.00 buck entry for maybe 1500.00 and thatís a maybe depends on how many car enter.

Comment

• $100 entry around here and you are racing for $5000. Our "normal" purse for a points race is usually $1500 to win for a $50 entry fee.
                    I was wrong, there is a third one I might run. It's $10k to win saturday and sunday, $250 entry for the weekend. It's the weekend of my birthday in October, so it's kind of an up in the air kind of thing for me right now.
                    Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Hey you might get some birthday luck going your way.And paying a 100.00 bucks for most of the bracket racing out here is you pay 50.00 to enter the race and the track wants 55.00 for racing at there track.None of these tracks operators put on any track run bracket races it always some one else that promotes the race.

Comment

• I forget from time to time how lucky we are to have the type of races we do in this area. Once and awhile I look at the tracks I used to run in Iowa and see $1200 to win for $75 entry fee, and $2000 to win for $100, and am reminded how lucky we are.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I havent been racing in awhile now, and not since I changed cams in my motor. I missed the last two weeks due to going back to Iowa for my grandmother's funeral. I was thinking about going this weekend, but have since decided against it. It's an IHRA Sportsman race, and you have to be a current IHRA member to participate. They will sign you up at the track, but couple that with the $150 entry fee, and I will be in to it for almost 300 bucks before I ever start the car. At this point, I think I'm gonna have to pass.

In other news, it looks like I bought a new motor. LOL
                          The fella is coming over tomorrow to drop it off. It's a 393C with B351 heads, and the entire motor is disassembled. He listed it for sale on Facebook a couple of months ago, I inquired about it, and told him I would get back to him later. We had gotten kind of chatty with each other since he runs some of the same tracks I do and he's a Ford racer. Then this morning he sent me a message asking if I would be interested with a grand knocked off the price. Given that was 300 bucks lower than I was going to offer him for it, I told him "sold." LOL
                          Hopefully my Super Comp headers will fit. LOL
                          Last edited by kid vishus; 10-01-2018, 07:26 PM.
                          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Sorry about your Grandmother Rob. Sounds like a deal on the engine because Iím thinking your almost as tight as I am. Lol. Youíll have to post up the details on the new engine!!
                            79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
                            69 Stang Vert
                            69 Stang Coupe
                            92 Stang 5.0 LX
                            other DD's

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your Grandma Rob, hopefully she had a long, full life.

You going to assemble as is of make changes to the engine?
                              1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                              347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                              363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                              244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

• Thanks guys.
                                She was 95, and had been ready to "move on" for awhile now.

As for the motor, it's 393 inches, Scat steel crank, GRP rods, 12.5-1 compression, B351 heads, the short W351 NASCAR intake, roller cam (he actually forgot it so he's going to bring it to the track in two weeks), and supposedly the whole thing only had 20 passes on it when he got it. The guy who originally built it lost his job and sold his racecar but kept the motor. He got to where he needed to sell the motor, but didnt have any offers on it as a complete unit, so he tore it down to part it out. That's when the guy I got it from bought it. He was going to drop it in his car, but then found a turn key car he liked better, so he sold the car he had and now has a big block powered tube chassis t-bird.

I did discover tonight the dampner is for external balance. I will be taking the rotating assembly to the shop and getting it done up internally before I put it together. I'm done messing with external balance stuff that's gonna make any decent power.
                                A couple of chambers look like they have had a rough life, but given those heads are around 35 yrs old, it's not surprising. As long as they dont leak, I dont care.

I'm also going to figure out if the heads have had any work done to them or not (get them flowed), and if I dont like what they flow, I'll get some work done to them before it goes together. There's too much potential there to not "go for it". There's nothing wrong with the motor in my car now, so if it takes me until next summer to get this thing done, so be it.

I'll have to get headers built for it, and that will run about 900 bucks for a custom set of step headers that will fit in my chassis. I'm going to have to spend some money on it before I can put it in the car, but I want to make sure it's "right" before I do.

Here's a couple of not so great pics.

Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X