Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so, i have discovered a small "issue" with the intake....

first, it's a W351 intake that has been ported to match the B351 heads....the port work looks great too....

it was obviously an intake without a valley tray originally, so they welded one to it...once again, it looks really good and took me a minute to realize it wasnt "factory"....

but, the issue comes here....on the carb pad, they welded, yes welded, a 1" tapered four hole dominator spacer.... that's an issue...my toilet uses the 4150 pattern.... and with it being a four hole, it also gets in the way of my primer system i drive around on....AND, yeah i'm not done yet, with the spacer already welded on there, even if i did bolt a 4150-4500 adapter on it, my hood wouldnt fit cuz it would be 9" tall....

so, i went to Ron's site....their terminator system is designed for the dominator pattern....i t hought maybe i could just buy a new throttle body that would fit this bolt pattern, but, they have basically discontinued everything i have other than the actual throttle body....so, i dont know if i could just bolt the termintor on and have it work correctly...
    they use a different barrel valve and the new pump is way different than what i currently have (and i'm not sure my pump would flow enough to supply this motor anyways)....and i'm not going to bet the new style pump will even work with my homemade mount....

i might need to buy an alchy dominator for it...and a good one of those aint cheap....and i totally forgot, i would either need to figure out how to make my belt drive pump work, or buy a new big electric pump for the back....

like i told someone, if it takes me 8 months to get this done the way i want, so be it as there is nothing wrong with the motor that is in the car now...

Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Would having the dominator flange cut off and a 4150 spacer welded to the intake be an option? It sure sounds like it would be the cheapest way to use your old stuff.
      Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:56, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.66@140.65

Comment

• Finally got to the track for this first time in over month. We went Friday night to test n tune, and like a dumbazz, I entered a 32 car shootout with a car that hadnt been down the track since I swapped cams (like 6 weeks ago). It was kinda chilly, it was really humid, a lot of junk kept oiling the track down so they couldnt get a good rhythm and keep cars going down the track, and the traction pretty much sucked.
        First pass, it spun, took a right turn, and only managed a 6.34. Ok, we can work on this. Let some air out, softened the shocks a touch, and went back up. Then one of those "no time" punk a$$ grudge racers decided to do a 3 minute long burnout and oiled down the starting line with just about every fluid in his car. Great. 45 minutes later I was the first guy to pull out in to that lane. The car left, spun, and slowed to a 6.36. At this point I am at least .05-.06 off where I am sure the other cam would have been running, even with the spinning. No more time runs before the shootout. I lowered the 2 step 500 rpm, set the rear shocks on full soft, let another 1/4 lb out of the slicks, and did a John Force burnout. I dialed it 6.36 and was running a car dialed 6.22, so I knew we would be close all the way down. The car left, and picked the front wheels up. My first thought was "uh oh, I gotta get rid of a bunch at the other end." Right about the mph cone I started whomping it like I was trying to kill a big spider in the car. I knocked 5 mph off, broke out by .002, and let him back around by .002. Crap. I almost pulled it off. He was .025 and dead on, I was .037. I forgot to pull time out of the box after lowering the 2 step that much.
        Yesterday we were supposed to run for 10 grand, but mother nature had other ideas. So they doubled the purse up for today. We get one time run, then go racing. Bad thing is, it's only supposed to get up to around 52*. This cam isnt as quick as the other one, but I'm hoping it is a little more predictable at this point. I never could find that happy spot the other one really liked.
        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• So at this point, I just have to bite the bullet and admit there is something wrong in the combo. Right now, my gut is telling me it's the injection. We got one time run today. I guessed before hand it would go 6.29. It went 6.302 and hooked great. I left everything alone, dialed it 6.30 as everyone was either running under by one or dead on, checked my weather station and the corrected DA had only changed 150 feet (basically nothing) and the dew poin had dropped 2 degrees (also basically nothing), went up for first round, and ran a whopping 6.350 wide open. Yeah, I lost that round. I did not buyback. Now the plan is to run leakdown and see what it's doing, and if that looks ok, I'm gonna order an alchy compatible pump and regulator, and put my carb back on it. Something is wrong as it has been doing this all year, and unless the converter is jacked up, I'm betting it's in the injection.
          Regardless, I am frustrated with it and if someone were to offer me a decent price on it right now, it would probably be gone.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• That stinks Rob. Game of milli seconds and .05 is a ton for sure. Be sure to check your fuel filter. My Buddy Dave was chasing a similar issue last season and it turned out the inline #12 AN filter was coated with a film from the alcohol. He soaked it in carb cleaner from Napa and seemed to fix it. As far as blowing thru the filter from pre-cleaning n after.
            79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
            69 Stang Vert
            69 Stang Coupe
            92 Stang 5.0 LX
            other DD's

Comment

• New filter, new electric fuel pump, new regulator, old faithful alchy carb are all on the car now.
              When I pulled the belt drive pump off, the pulley was loose on the shaft. It wasnt loose enough it could turn on the shaft, but it was loose enough to allow it to wobble. Both sets screws were so flippin tight I couldnt get them to turn in either direction; tighten or loosen.

There is a PTRA (Pro Tree Racers Assoc) race next weekend and they are also running normal brackets along with it, so I'm gonna enter Top and see how it goes. If it seems to have cured the inconsistency issue, I'll keep racing this year and run the big money races that are left. If it doesnt fix it, I'm done for the year and the motor will come out.
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Anyway of tracking fuel pressure on the way down?
                1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

• No, not with either system. And the injection was so high pressure I dont know if they even make a small gauge that would read that high. When new, at 4000 rpm that pump made 100 PSI.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Iím sure a fuel pressure gauge rated for EFI would work. May give you an idea if youíre getting intermittent air or other issues in the system.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

• It probably would have, but it's off the car now. If I ever decide to put it back on, I'll probably upgrade the pump since they stopped servicing the pump I currently own.
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• The only thing I'm gonna say about my trip to the track today is this; about one more train wreck of a trip like today was, and I'm gonna sell that pain in my ass and find something else to waste my money on.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                          The only thing I'm gonna say about my trip to the track today is this; about one more train wreck of a trip like today was, and I'm gonna sell that pain in my ass and find something else to waste my money on.
                          Ok, KV,,,,
                          It's been a couple of days now. Time to spill the beans........ What happened at the track??

Ryan
                          Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

Ok, KV,,,,
                            It's been a couple of days now. Time to spill the beans........ What happened at the track??

Ryan
                            My guess from past experience.........car f'd up after spending hours and plenty of blood, sweat and tears working on it........Rob got pissed and asked himself "why do I keep putting myself through this $hit, I'm sick of it ... done, done done"...................after a few days to cool off.......now he's out in the garage turning wrench's and the cycle starts all over

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

• LOL
                              You were close, but I fixed it the next day. However, my thought of one more trip like that one and it's getting sold hasnt changed.
                              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• They pulled the plug on this weekend pretty early this morning.
                                They cited the reason for it as it is supposed to get down to 25* tomorrow night. Myself and a lot of other racers are wondering since they are starting time runs at 10 am, why not give one time run then go racing? They would be done before 8 pm, and it wont be that cold yet. But sadly in this day and age, especially around here, tracks just look for an excuse to cancel.
                                That means next weekend (if this other track doesnt pull the plug as well), I will be making one time run after paying a high entry fee on a car that hasnt been down the track cleanly yet since the induction swap.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X