Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poppy....I love your post above!! I as well as Rob n everyone else that follows this sport can relate to it!!!! Well said Brother!! Rob, with Mother Nature really winning almost everything thing this year I decided to winterize my junk n call it a year. I hope you can get some runs in though. Keep us updated.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

Comment

• Time to copy the street outlaws Rob! Find a road out in the country somewhere and make some quick hits, then load up and get the hell outta there!
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• So, I guess I have a little time this morning to type out the novel of what happened that weekend.
        I bought a new electric fuel pump (found the one I took off the car a few years ago, but after I got the new one installed), and bought a new Holley Big Port/Volumax regulator. It's not cheap, but for the money it's a good regulator as it is alchy compatible and flows a ton. Right away I had trouble getting it to not push fuel out the front boosters. I finally got it to stop after messing with it for quite some time. So I head to the track, get there half an hour early like normal, and as soon as I try to unload the car it's not running right. I manage to keep it running long enough to realize it's pushing fuel out the front boosters again. I fire up the generator, plug in the batter charger, and go to work trying to get it to stop flooding itself. I pull the needle and seat out probably 4 or 5 times making sure there isnt any crud in it, replace it with 2 different needle and seats (all used as I didnt have any new ones), then finally said to hell with it and pulled the front float bowl off. By now they have started time runs and I havent even warmed the car up yet. I pull the front float out, pry up on the tab that the needle and seat rests on, and put it back together. I run the needle/seat down to about where it was set previously, and fire it up. Cool, it's not flooding any more. By now they have called my class to the lanes. I get everything ready and head up there and everything seems fine. I roll in to the water, and as soon as I hit the throttle I knew something was off; it would barely smoke the tires. I decide to try and make the pass anyways. The car never did get up on the 2 step and left slower than a dump truck. It would barely wind up, wasnt making any power, etc. I finally shut it off once I was out about 400-450 feet when I decided I was wasting my time. I get back to the trailer, fire the generator up, turn on the battery charger, and by time I get the hood off the car the generator is surging real bad (it's never done that before.) By time I get to it to try and see what is going on, it has died. As soon I look in the back of the truck I see gas running out of the generator. Pouring out is a better definition. Holy crap! I jump up there and shut the fuel valve off. It had been leaking a little while before it stopped running because there was about a gallon and a half of gas pooled up in the corner of that god awful plastic bedliner my dually has in it (truck wasnt sitting level so it all ran over to one corner.) At this point I said I was done for the day, plus I was needing to figure out how to get all that gas out of there without setting my truck on fire. I wasnt going to fight with the car AND fight with my generator. I walked down and was talking with KK's brother and he said "I've got that new QuickFuel alchy 850 that I put 6 passes on, you want to try it?" I figured, why not, if it worked I could always plug my charger in to his generator for the day. I grabbed the carb, went down and got it bolted on, fired up the fuel pump, and it looked like Old Faithful out the front vent tube. Crap! About then they announced we were only getting one time run. I'm done. Now just to get it running good enough to get it on the trailer (which I managed to do.)
        I came home, showered, logged on to facebook, and saw right away one of our racetrack family (our buddy Rooster) had passed away after a long battle with cancer. Perfect way to top off a sh*tty day at the track.

Next day I decided to mess with the car to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. I ended up putting a different new regulator on it (borrowed KK's brother's spare that was new in the box), changing the barrel by pass valve that was on the new pump, and putting my carb back on. The QF 850 had an issue all it's own. I went to drain some fuel out of it, and big pieces of rubber O ring came out of the front float bowl screw hole. WTF?!?!? It seems the O rings QF put in behind the sight glasses on their custom float bowls do not like alchy and all 4 of them came apart and filled both float bowls with chunks of rubber. They will sell you a "kit" that comes with new glass, new o ring, and a new snap ring, 6 bucks per kit. Each bowl requires 2. You would think an $800+ carb designed for alchy would have alchy compatible parts in it. I guess not. Turned out when I set the float based off the screw height after I had pried up on the tab, I had it set so low there is no way it was going to run right. So that was the primary issue with my carb not running right. I do think the bypass barrel that the "cheap" fuel pump came with was junk, and there was something wrong with the regulator not holding pressure.

Oh! We cant forget this part. So I have talked to a couple of different people pertaining to why my injection was inconsistent. The general consensus was that it was a pump issue. Everyone said when theirs did that, it was always the pump. When I pulled the pump off to go back to the carb, the pulley on it was loose. Not so loose it would turn on the shaft, but loose enough it wobbled. That's not good, but probably not enough to cause the issue by itself. However, when I was I fighting with the QF carb, it flooded the motor bad enough it wouldnt turn over. I decided I was gonna put a wrench on the crank and turn the motor back a little before I pulled the plugs out and I discovered the crank bolt was about to fall out of the crank. Well, not really about to fall out, but I turned it in a bunch with my fingers. Why that is an issue is the crank pulley for the fuel pump (cog style belt) is on the end of a long mandrel that presses against the balancer and uses the clamping force of the bolt to keep it spinning at the same rate as the crank. It HAD to be slipping, especially that last injection pass. Did I mention I've NEVER had that bolt back out before?

This has been a pretty crappy year for me at the track. I'm tired of spending money (huge amounts of it) on the car and still have stuff not work right. At t his point, I'm not even going to use those B351 heads that came with that 393 I just bought. I have no desire to spend 900 bucks on headers AND have to buy a $1500 dominator carb to fit that intake. I think I'm gonna sell those heads and intake and epoxy up a set of iron heads for that motor.

So there it is. You asked for it. LOL
        Rob Hetzler
        M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
        Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• That's certainly one heck of a string of bad luck Rob. Mother Nature hasn't been good to any of us east coast racers this year so we all felt that pain.

There is plenty of time to regroup over the coming winter and get a plan in motion for a fresh start next year.
          Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:56, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.66@140.65

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
            Poppy....I love your post above!! I as well as Rob n everyone else that follows this sport can relate to it!!!! Well said Brother!! Rob, with Mother Nature really winning almost everything thing this year I decided to winterize my junk n call it a year. I hope you can get some runs in though. Keep us updated.
            Thanks man. Next weekend is a big money 3 day race. It's usually a really good race with good payouts, good door prizes, run by some really good guys, etc. It pays 10k,20k,10k Fri,Sat,Sun. Entry for the entire weekend is $380, or $150,$230,$150 per day. As of right now, I'll probably just enter Friday and play it by ear after that. That is, if mother nature doesnt win again. The long range forecast is rain all next weekend.

Then Thanksgiving weekend there is a race Thurs/Fri/Sat, that pays 5k,10k,10k. Thursday is $100 entry, then each day after that is $175 per day, or $300 for both days.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Man Rob, your racing luck sounds like my trucking luck this year. It's got to get better, for both of us!
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Well it looks like tomorrow's race is a go. At least as of right now. LOL
                We've gotten a lot of rain this week, over 5 inches to be exact, and it's supposed to get in to the low 30's tonight as well as tomorrow night. But the forecast for tomorrow looks decent; mostly sunny with a high of 54*. For anyone with hours and hours to kill, time runs start tomorrow (Friday) at (edit) due to the cold and wet overnight conditions they are expecting to not start until around 11 am eastern, and the entire race will be broadcast live here ; www.motormaniatv.com
                At the top of the screen will be a tab for "American Doorslammer Nationals", that's the race I will be attempting to run. LOL Those folks at MotorMania do a really good job broadcasting these events. Their camera coverage is really good.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Good Luck Rob! We got around 7-8 inches of snow/ice/currently some rain here today. Luckily the snow blower ran great this evening, Iím now a believer in the fuel additive Startron. Lol.......Iím planning on being in the shop tomorrow to get a bunch of small stuff done. Iíll tune the shop tv on to MotorMania and keep an eye out for ya.
                  79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
                  69 Stang Vert
                  69 Stang Coupe
                  92 Stang 5.0 LX
                  other DD's

Comment

• Kick their asses! Good Luck Rob!
                    Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:56, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.66@140.65

Comment

• Good luck! Hope the car performs flawlessly!
                      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

• I sure hope no one wasted their time watching that race just to see my catastrophe.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Ok, KV,,,,,for those of us who worked and didn't get to watch the coverage..........SPILL IT! WHAT HAPPENED!?

Ryan
                          Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• So.....
                            yesterday I got to the track and just knew I had figured out the issues from the previous time. After all, it had run great in the driveway. I fired it up, and right away could tell something was all jacked up. It was pushing fuel out of the boosters of my BG carb AGAIN. WTF?!?!?!
                            I'm not fooling around with it, so I pulled it off and stuck my bud's new QF carb on it. It pushed a little fuel, but worse, we couldnt get any fuel out the squirter nozzles. Pulled the squirters, cycled the accelerator pump, and big chunks of green rubber crap came out of them. WTF x2?!?!?!?! Pulled the bowls off, pulled the accelerator pump housing, and both diaphragms were absolutely coming apart. Holy crap. Ok, I've got two more with me. I changed them, cleaned everything out real good, put it back together, and went up for my one time run. Ran a blistering 6.64. Felt like it was running out of fuel. We decided maybe I should put my BG carb back on. I pulled the bowls on it, both diaphragms were disintegrating on it as well. I had one, KK's brother had another. I swapped them out, cleaned out all the green gunk from the diaphragms, then decided the fuel was the problem. I am thoroughly convinced the last fuel I bought at the track was NOT standard methanol, but was VP brand M5, which has some sort of power booster additive in it that is known to eat up rubber parts when it sits. And let me tell ya this, it stinks to high heaven as well. And not just when it runs, but in the jug too. It smells like the strongest smelling fingernail polish removeryou ever smelled. I drained the cell, filled it with regular alcohol, threw a guess on the window for a dial in, and went up for first round. And....it ran an even more blistering 6.72, but the guy in the other lane redlit. I came back, turned the fuel pressure way up, and stuck a 6.72 on the window for second round. Yep, 6.77 and a big fat L.
                            About then KK's brother said again, "you sure it aint missing? It sounds like it's missing."
                            Son Of A...... yeah, about then I remembered when I pulled the plugs two weeks ago cuz it flooded so bad it wouldnt turn over, one of them made kind of a "crack" when it came loose. I looked at it and couldnt see anything wrong with it, but remember thinking "I should just go ahead and change it". But, I got all caught up in trying to figure out why it kept flooding itself and forgot to change that plug. After I lost Friday, I pulled the plug out, stuck a used plug in that hole, fired it up, and promptly had to turn the idle down 400 rpm.
                            That brings us to this morning, the day of the 20 grander. The day where if we ran yesterday we were not going to get a time run. Yay, I still havent been down the track clean yet after swapping back to a carb. Oh well, I take a WAG at a dial in (6.35), and go up for first round. I was .010, my guy was -.004. WooHoo, time run! It went 6.413, but ran clean all the way down the track. Everything felt fine, it was just a bit slower than I expected. Second round, The air was real close to the same, but had gotten a couple hundred feet worse, so I dialed it 6.41 against a car dialed 6.24. We left close together, he drove up next to me and got about even with my door, but couldnt get around. I knew it was close and was about where I wanted it to be, so I ran it out and led him thru by .014. Too bad I was .006 too quick to his 6.240 on a 6.24. I led him thru by .014, but needed it to be by .007 to have won the round. There's no way I would have tried to tighten it up that much.
                            Anyways, I think the car is good now. Gonna go back tomorrow and try it again, still without a time run, but at least now I have an idea what it's gonna run.
                            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Glad that you sound like you got it figured out Rob. I watched the live feed n a ton of cars there! Your 1st time run was a 6.64 with a 4 if I remember right. Car looked like it left good but looked lazy so to speak. I had the live feed on after that but didnít catch your other runs. Sounds like the fuel was the issue.
                              69 Stang Vert
                              69 Stang Coupe
                              92 Stang 5.0 LX
                              other DD's

Comment

• Thanks. I do think I've got it figured out. I'm a little disappointed that it's not any quicker than it is, but I guess it is what it is right now. When I ran this same basic combo several years ago, it would have gone mid-high 6.20's in air like we have now. Granted there are some differences, but the only major one is the converter is a touch tighter now than it was then. But it seems to be running good mph for the et. It was running just over 107 yesterday. Thats only 1 mph slower than it was running the last time out with the injection, but it's a tenth slower.
                                First round today will be probably around 12:30. No time runs unless you're a new entry, then straight into first round.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X