Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadly, .025 in my class is a touch late. You better consistently be in the teens or you're in trouble.
    I'm not sure on the missing issue. I changed plugs today, leaned the carb out, and changed the front float. When I drained the front bowl to change the jets, there wasnt as much fuel in the bowl as I expected (maybe half as much as the rear). And that float has acted funky in the past (like the last time out last year), so I went ahead and stuck a different one on it.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
      Sadly, .025 in my class is a touch late. You better consistently be in the teens or you're in trouble.
      I'm not sure on the missing issue. I changed plugs today, leaned the carb out, and changed the front float. When I drained the front bowl to change the jets, there wasnt as much fuel in the bowl as I expected (maybe half as much as the rear). And that float has acted funky in the past (like the last time out last year), so I went ahead and stuck a different one on it.
      My bad ---- I keep forgeting you run in a 'box' class...... .

Ryan
      Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• No worries man, ten years ago you could win a lot of rounds with twenties. But times have changed.

Soooo........
        it's not the valve cover gasket that is leaking. It's either the rear main seal, or, my guess, the rubber seal in the back of the oil pan. My guess, and this is just a guess so it could be way wrong, is that there was too much crankcase pressure repeatedly and it pushed the gasket out. This motor has had a lot of blowby from day one. I mean, I've never had one with this much blowby before. Not even when I honed one with a cheap 3 stone hone and put used rings in it, they still didnt have this much blowby.
        I am convinced the machine shop cut some corners when they filled the block and didnt let it cure at all before they bored it and gave it back to me.

But, the forecast for this weekend already looks horrible. I might try and go to test n tune friday night if it doesnt rain since saturday is looking like a washout at this point.
        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Do you run an evac system? It doesn't take that much negative pressure to keep the oil in the pan. I found that even a simple header evac can overcome four #2 compression rings being installed upside down . . . . That one smoked like a chimney out the breathers but got me through the whole race season before finding the rings during the winter rebuild.
          Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:56, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]

Comment

• No, no evac on this motor. I never got around to putting the tubes in when I got new headers and collector extensions.
            I'm gonna run tomorrow at test n tune, and if I havent managed to cure the miss, the motor is coming out and I'll put the new one in. That means I probably wont be ready for the big doorcar race.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Leaned the motor out a touch (had the carb richer than I had ever run it before), new float, reset the float levels, reset fuel pressure, new plugs..... still misses.
              I'm starting to wonder if it broke a valve a spring. If it ever stops raining, I'll pull the valve covers and use my cheap ole tester and see if the springs are at least all close to the same pressures.
              I did get to the track today, and we got in to the third round before mother nature won. I won first round, won second round, was in the lanes when it started to rain.
              The car is fairly consistent, but not like it should be. Which, kind of points to a bad spring as well. We got three time runs instead of our normal two since there wasnt many people there. Time runs it went 6.507, 6.488, 6.506. Dialed it 6.49, other guy redlit and I ran 6.484. Dialed it 6.48 next round and went 6.494 dragging the brakes and killing 2 mph. It would have gone a 6.48 again. I think the mph is down as well as it's only going 104 mph now. I think it should be more than that.
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
                When you changed the plugs last Sunday, how were they -- Did they all look the same or did one/two look darker as if they were missing?

Ryan

Comment

• No Ryan, they all looked the same.

I forgot to mention, the car did not miss at all the first two passes or during warm up. I pulled the valve covers and stud girdles yesterday and looked at the springs the best I could, but I couldnt see anything that looked out of whack. I pulled several plugs and they all looked good. Then last night, I woke up with a "what if" thought. What if the MSD box is going bad? It didnt miss the first two passes, missed during the third, then started to miss worse the longer it ran. The last pass I was shocked it still managed to run the number with as much as it missed. I suppose it could be the coil as well, but I'm thinking now that whatever it is, it is electrical and the more it runs and the more heat it gets in it, the worse it gets. The two MSD boxes I have had go bad both were the same way with how heat effected them.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Maybe install some sort of heat shield over the box?
                    What are the chances of relocating the box to inside the cabin?

Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                      No Ryan, they all looked the same.

I forgot to mention, the car did not miss at all the first two passes or during warm up. I pulled the valve covers and stud girdles yesterday and looked at the springs the best I could, but I couldnt see anything that looked out of whack. I pulled several plugs and they all looked good. Then last night, I woke up with a "what if" thought. What if the MSD box is going bad? It didnt miss the first two passes, missed during the third, then started to miss worse the longer it ran. The last pass I was shocked it still managed to run the number with as much as it missed. I suppose it could be the coil as well, but I'm thinking now that whatever it is, it is electrical and the more it runs and the more heat it gets in it, the worse it gets. The two MSD boxes I have had go bad both were the same way with how heat effected them.
                      Pretty sure that you are on to something with the MSD. Twice I too have chased mysterious high speed misses only to find that replacing the box fixed the problem. Both of my boxes lasted 3-4 years before the issues begun and I've installed a different 6AL version each time.
                      Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:56, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
                        Maybe install some sort of heat shield over the box?
                        What are the chances of relocating the box to inside the cabin?

Ryan
                        It's already inside the cabin.
                        I bought this box in 2000, as well as the current coil.
                        I've got my trusty OLD 6T box I'm going to see if I can get swapped in to the car for Thursday. If that fixes the miss, I'll send my 7AL-2 back to MSD and get it repaired and probably buy a new coil as well.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Your 7AL-2 box is NOT that old, is it????? I think if I were you, I might not be very happy about that.......

Ryan

Comment

• Been a pretty common theme amongst racers at the track and on facebook of MSD boxes all crapping out now. It's almost 20 yrs old. I dont know what kind of life expectancy those things is supposed to have. I think the one that was in Dad's car wasnt this old when it went bad. The one in KK's car was probably 22 yrs old or so when it crapped out.
                            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Tonight I took my battery cables off and cleaned the posts up as well the ends. Took all my grounds off and cleaned all them up too.
                              Put 6 quarts of oil in the motor (it's a 7 quart pan). Half hour later noticed it was already dripping. #@##@%&[email protected]#@#$%*$#!
                              Screw it. When the new box shows up tomorrow, I'll get it installed and fire it up and let it run and see what happens. If it still leaks like it did before, or worse, I'm pulling the whole da**ed thing out of the car.
                              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Where's it leaking from, the pan or a main seal?
                                ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                                -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                                -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                                " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Working...
                                X