Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nope. Literally just got home from spending 4 nights in the mountains of western North Carolina for KK's birthday.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Congrats on a well needed break!
      ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
      -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
      -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
      " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Thanks. It was a really nice, although kind of short, vacation. I surprised her with a couple of events we attended, and she really enjoyed it.

Now on to serious business. So, I got my car running tonight. That 377 still sounds great. Also still has a HUGE oil leak from someplace in the back, underneath. I tell ya, I am seriously considering selling it. Fixing stuff that is always broke, and never being able to actually get the thing to work properly, just isnt fun any more.
        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Damn, I hoped you had it fixed this time. Is it the rear main seal or something else?

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by ford84stepside View Post
            Damn, I hoped you had it fixed this time. Is it the rear main seal or something else?
            I have no idea. When I saw it was leaking, I set the hood back on the car and went in the house.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post

I have no idea. When I saw it was leaking, I set the hood back on the car and went in the house.
              I fully understand. Been there, done that.

Comment

• So, I think I have all the leaks on my car finally fixed. I had to replace the rear main seal. And let me tell ya, that isnt a real fun job to do with the motor in the car. I got it all back together, fired it up, and one of the transmission cooler lines was leaking like hell. You have got to be kidding me. I let it cool off a little, took the connector back apart, sprayed everything off with carb cleaner, put it back together, and it stopped leaking. I let it run for awhile, and nothing dripped or sprayed or spewed or vomited or rattled or fell off or did anything offensive under the car. It sounds good, starts good, everything seems to still be tight, it's not making any bad noises.......I may actually be able to take it to the track tomorrow. I do need to give it a quick bath first though. The oily hand prints all over the fenders isnt a good look. LOL
                KK's car has decided to leak transmission fluid all over hell and half of Georgia, so I have it up on jackstands now. I havent looked yet, but I think it's leaking around where the dipstick goes in to the case. It sure made a mess on the trailer.

Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I was gladly wrong on what the leak on KK's car was. It seems all bolts in the transmission pan were loose. Two were so loose they weren't there any longer. I replaced them, tightened everything up, put a QUART AND A HALF of fluid back in it, and it's good to go.

Gonna head to the track today with my car. There's a chance of rain this afternoon, but it is summer time in NC, so that's pretty much the norm.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
                    Glad to hear you were able to get the leak stopped on your '69 and planned to take it to the track today.

Wishing you some clean and winning passes!!

Ryan
                    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• How about one winning pass?
                      I made the first time run with everything "turned down" a little; shift point and launch rpm. I was just wanting it to go from point A to point B and not do anything stupid. I was .039, 1.419, [email protected] mph. It was a nice clean pass. Second time run I turned the shift point up a little, turned the 2 step up a little, and took a little time out of the delay box; .014, 1.417, [email protected] mph. First round of elims I left everything alone and dialed it 6.46. Now mind you, there werent many cars there (not as many as this track normally sees, it was pretty hot out, and we were running passes about 40 minutes apart). Anyways, I was .009, 1.418, 6.469 for the W. Second round, I got paired up with a car dialed 6.85. I left everything alone. The car left good, but I could tell pretty quickly I wasnt going to get around him, so right before the first mph cone I started to drag the brake hoping with me right next to him he would run it out and go under. No luck. Here's the kicker, I went .068, 1.411, [email protected] Judging from halftrack it would have gone a mid 6.42 wide open. Where the hell did that come from? And that light? WTF? It didnt "feel" late when I let go of it. If it would have felt late, I would have hit the bump down. I talked with KK's brother and we came to the conclusion it was a fluke, so I bought back, tossed that run out, and left everything alone again. Next round, I "knew" I hit it hard when the bulb came on; .054, 1.410 [email protected] mph. Seriously?
                      So, I'm thinking the transmission got hot. Which means the fluid thinned down creating less drag in the transmission accounting for it speeding up, but, the thinner fluid reduced the pump pressure which slowed down how quick the transbrake released. That's my best guess at this point, and really the only one I've got. The weather never changed so I know that wasnt it. I've thought for awhile the transmission cooler that is on it was borderline big enough anyways, and it seems basically hot lapping on a day with the heat index up around 100* it was more than it could take. I'm going to put a bigger cooler on it and rewrap the cooler lines where they are closest to the headers before I go back.
                      But all in all I was fairly pleased with it. Yeah, it's slow, but it didnt leave any parts on the track and drove up on the trailer under it's own power on all 8 cylinders, which was a nice change from the last couple of outings.
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                        But all in all I was fairly pleased with it. ......it didnt leave any parts on the track and drove up on the trailer under it's own power on all 8 cylinders, which was a nice change from the last couple of outings.
                        SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS A GOOD DAY AT THE STRAIGHT TRACK, KV!!!!

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• New transmission cooler showed up the other day, as well as a BIG squirrel fan for moving air under the car to help cool the transmission/converter between rounds. I'm going to have to move one of the mounting braces for the new cooler as it is a couple of inches wider than the one currently on the car.

We took KK's car to the track last night. Well, it was a more successful trip than we have been experiencing with it, but it still wasnt great. The dyno showed the car was down 40-45 hp from the previous dyno session. The track verified it. It ran on all 8 cylinders, it just didnt make go very fast. Instead of running mid to hi 6.60's like I really expected, it went 6.82, then followed it up with a 6.86. And the mph was only 99.1 and 98.9, so even though the track was pure garbage, the mph just wasnt there to show it was still making good power. Plus it really felt like it kind of laid over right before the shift in to high gear each pass. I'm really thinking it might be a valve spring issue. Once I get the new trans cooler on my car, I'm gonna pop a couple of springs off her car and check them. I've got a big box of shims and I'll shim them up if needed.
                          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Good to hear things are finally starting to come around for ya Rob!

Comment

• Well now....
                              Today's lesson, when you change the magnetic pick up in the distributor, make sure to CHECK THE TIMING after words.
                              I noticed the car had not been acting right when you started it ever since we changed the magnetic pick up, but I didnt think anything about it until this weekend. Today I decided I needed to check the timing before going all gangbusters and shimming valve springs. I fired it up, checked the timing, and thought, "holy cow! how's it even starting it?" Instead of 32*, it had somewhere around 45* in it, maybe more. I turned it back down to 32*, shut it off, hit the switch and it fired right back up just like it used to.
                              That could explain a 45 hp loss for sure.
                              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Took KK's car to the track today for a free entry footbrake race. It has been 15 years or so since I raced footbrake. My goal was to make my two time runs, run first round and not make a fool of myself, and hopefully have the car run correctly. I figured it was cheaper to run the "free" race than go to test n tune and pay to get in. Well, the car runs good. The driver was inconsistent but still managed to win 3 rounds before missing the tree and getting too far behind at the hit. And I mean, the car ran great. It was consistent, predictable, started easy, it's a bracket car again. It is wagging the tail a little more than I think it should be when it gets down track so I'm going to check the rod ends on the diagonal link just to make sure there isnt any slop in them. If there isn't, I'll just chalk it up to the track conditions.
                                We had a pretty hard rain roll thru after 3rd round, so they dried the track then gave everyone a time shot before starting 4th round. The track wasnt as good at that point (mainly down track), but that wasnt what made me lose. After the rain, the temps dropped probably 15 degrees, and the sun was off the track. Over 7 passes the slowest 60' was 1.447 and the quickest was 1.432. I'll take it.
                                Quickest pass of the day was after the rain shower and it went 6.506 on a 6.51 dial. During the heat of the day I had a 6.55 on the window the first 3 rounds.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X