Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ....... I sense a smile on the Kid! Congratulations on a successful day at the track!

- Ryan
    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• Thanks.
      Yeah, that was a good day for sure.
      I crawled under her car this morning before I took it off the trailer, and I could grab the diagonal link and make it move a little. I thought, "well, maybe that's normal." So I crawled under my car, and the diagonal on it doesnt budge, at all. So, the wiggle I can get in hers isnt normal.
      I'm going to replace both rod ends and the bolts that go thru them. I'm guessing, once it starts to wiggle, the faster the car gets, the worse the wiggle gets due to a pendulum effect. I know it shouldn't do that. There is no way you could run this car as it sits quarter mile. If someone had enough guts to stay in it, it would end up getting away from them.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Hey Kid on the link maybe you should take some measurements on the rear to make sure itís square if the link is moving something might just be out of alignment.Just a thought I kind of always check my Tbird ride height and the side to side just to make sure itís right so if something does happen I might not blame the car.Sounds like you had a really good day.
        1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
        1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
        NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

• I'll check, but I know a few years ago I spent a lot of time under that car with a tape and plumb bobs cuz it was driving like Pure D Crap and I thought something was out of square. Turned out a rear tire was 1 1/2" bigger around than the other one.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all. You guessed it, the car is broke again. And you wont believe what broke this time.
            KK's brother let me borrow his Pro Systems 1050 alchy dominator. He had to rig up a small bracket so I could get full throttle with it. Man, the throttle response on that thing was way better than I ever had with my BG carb. It was way too fat, but since it was a loaner I didnt want to mess with it too much. First pass it went 6.379, second pass it went 6.381. Couldn't ask for much better than that. But....yeah, here it is....
            As I was slowing down after the second pass I heard something howling from the rear of the car. My first thought was "did this SOB just break the rear gear?" As I got slowed down enough to make the turn off the track, it started to clunk and grab. Yep, this focker just broke the gear. I pulled off the track, it got worse and I figured I needed to get stopped even though I wasnt going very fast, I hit the brake pedal and it went straight to the floor. Huh? How did breaking the gear wipe out my brakes? I pulled in to the grass and the car stopped. I got out, went around to the back, stuck my head under there, and the driver's side caliper was at the bottom of the rotor wedged in to the wheel. Yep, the rear caliper mount broke. I'm sure it was due to something I should have caught before hand, but dammit. Who breaks a caliper mount? I'll get it apart today to fully assess the damage, but at this point I'm expecting it will need two new mounts (one broke and the other one has been on there the same length of time, plus they only sell them in pairs), a new caliper, a new brake line (it ripped the fitting off the one on the car) and while I'm at it I probably need to replace the rotors.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Dangit Rob, your luck sounds about like mine! I always break the odd stuff, the stuff that shouldn't break and nobody else has ever seen break! What caused it, a bad weld?
              ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
              -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
              -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
              " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Wow that is just plane old terrible you canít win for losing like Iíve said I feel your pain Iím becoming a little gun shy myself about taking the car out.But what can you do but continue to press on are quit.

Comment

• I honestly dont know. The mounts are one piece and made from billet aluminum. My best guess is the bottom bolt holding the caliper came out allowing the caliper to try and ride up the rotor. Then once it got into the wheel, it probably dug in which then broke the top mount off. But that's all just a guess.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• It looks like I need to replace both caliper brackets (they sell them in pairs, so it's probably a good idea to replace them both), one caliper since the corner on that one got pretty chewed up rubbing on the wheel, the brake line on that side, and since that rotor has a decent gouge in the back of it, I'll replace both rotors as well. I'm probably gonna be in to this for about 4 hundred bucks by time it's all done.
                    Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Well it sounds like you got good use out of the set up,so can the rotors be replaced without replacing the pads.I think next year Iím going to run the Tbird with the v-6 in over the stocker nhra seem to be getting a little to much chicken s... to me now they are going to be having more tear downs at the National events and thatís not a lot of fun to me at 65 years old.

Comment

• I called Wilwood yesterday as I couldn't find a part number online for the caliper mounts. Turns out, there is a part number stamped on them. I couldn't see it until I wiped all the grime and brake dust off after the tech said there should be a number on them. But, I talked with the tech, he priced out two new rotors, a caliper bracket kit, and two new calipers (when I gave him the number off my calipers and he typed it in to their system his response was "wow, those are old" and turns out they dont make that particular one anymore), and it was only 25 bucks less than buying a whole new kit that would also come with two new hats, new hardware and new pads. So I bought a whole kit.

I did take KK's car to the track Monday. Man, that thing runs good considering how mismatched the parts are. If it was on alchy it would be as fast as my car. It went 6.469 on a 6.46 dial in the second round with a corrected DA of 2900 ft. I was late that round and lost, but the car sure drives good now. It goes straight as an arrow down the racetrack and doesnt do anything goofy any more. The funny thing is, leaving off the transbrake is only .02 better in the 60 foot than leaving off the footbrake.
                        Last edited by kid vishus; 09-04-2019, 06:59 PM. Reason: edited to correct the round I lost in
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• footbraking isnt so bad then, you were on top of it .....way to go !

Keith
                          34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

• Oh, I had the box in the car and was leaving off the transbrake Monday.
                            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Nothing is ever easy for me.

I decided over the weekend that as I was waiting for the brake kit to show up on Monday, I should go ahead and put the new pads on the front and get the rear apart. Plus I have/had one rear wheel bearing that leaks a little. I think the O ring isnt sealed very good. I'm gonna put a presidential 44 solution on it and see if that cures it. I figure if it doesnt, it will just leak like it has been. I had bought brake pads earlier in the year for all four corners, and bought a little more aggressive compound than what comes with the kit. I figured I had some time Saturday so I went ahead and changed the front ones. I'm going to use the more aggressive pads on the rear too instead of the pads it comes with. However while I had the front tires off, I noticed one of them is weather checked/dry rotted real bad in the tread. The other one is fine other than having normal wear on it, but I'm not real excited about going 107 mph on that bad tire now that I know how it looks. Since I dont like how long the last couple of Hoosier front runners have lasted, I ordered M/T front tires this time. I also changed the oil in my dually. That was a $200 oil change. 4 gallons of synthetic oil at 27 bucks each + a $36 filter + a $45 bottle of Archoil additive adds up in a hurry.

New front tires showed up yesterday. First thing I noticed, they were 25" instead of 26" like the Hoosiers I have on the front of the car. Crap, they must have sent the wrong ones. I pulled up the order, and nope, my dumbazz ordered the wrong ones. Screw it, I want to go racing Saturday with my car, I'll keep them. I'm probably going to have to take a jack along now to get the nose of the trailer even farther in the air as I just dont have any ground clearance under my car, and losing another half inch might become an issue. Might have to put a touch of time in the box as well, but screw it, they're new and dont have big cracks in the tread.

I got the rear brake kit installed Tuesday, got it all bled Wednesday, and decided I didnt like how the pedal felt so we bled them again tonight. I found one front bleeder that had some air behind it. They feel a lot better now. I'm happy with that. KK dropped the new tires off at the tire shop this morning, so I swung by there on the way home from work and picked them up. I stuck the first one up on the car, got all the lug nuts on, started to tight them down and saw a bad spot on the sidewall. I mean, a 1/4" by 1/2" flaw where the steel chords are showing thru a flaw in the rubber. Yep, I'm not gonna run that. Go in the house, call Summit, and figured since I really wanted a different size anyways, I might as well send both back. Oops, they wont take them back if they've been mounted unless there is a manufacturing defect. So I'm stuck with the short tires. They are going to send a replacement for the bad one but I wont have it in time for this weekend.

But I still want to run my car this weekend, so, I unloaded the better half's car, and pulled the front tires off it to put on mine for this weekend. It has 26" front tires on it, so they are the same size as the ones I took off.
                              Seriously though, can anything ever go smoothly just once?

I couldn't put my return spring bracket on the new carb, so I fashioned up a different return spring set up using different springs, and I am not happy with how stiff the pedal is now. I may pull one spring off once I get there if I decide it's not going to work for me being that stiff. It does seem like it's going to go on the chip fairly clean though. It's not as crisp as the borrowed dominator was, but it's light years better than my BG was.

Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• The car was stupid good yesterday. The driver was just stupid. LOL
                                The driver let the car down in the fourth round. Gonna go back and try it again today. That wasnt originally the plan going in to this weekend, but the car is running too well to let it sit right now.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X