Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
    The car was stupid good yesterday. The driver was just stupid. LOL
    The driver let the car down in the fourth round. Gonna go back and try it again today. That wasnt originally the plan going in to this weekend, but the car is running too well to let it sit right now.
    LOL...Yeah, it happens. Similar thing here yesterday. Here's my story:

I drove 2 hrs to meet up with my friend/owner of the '69 R code Mustang and his wife. We drove another 2 hrs to the track. Lots of race cars. We get the car uploaded and my friend takes it up to go through tech and put some heat into it. Within 15 minutes we were pulling up for the single test pass allowed. He preceeded to cut a 0.242 light!!! When he got back to the trailer I smirkedly said, "Well, I hope you finished that book..." (WAY late reaction time results in the comment, "The guy must have been reading a book while waiting for the tree to come down.") ....so now we can get back to racing!" As far as the pass, the car ran the number just fine - expected.

Ok, so checked over the normal stuff with the car, added a splash of fuel, put on the battery charger....all good. Eat some lunch just in time to get called up for first round. Probably 60-75 cars in no-box.....as we get in line at the staging lanes.

Once up to the front, I notice the burnout box was kinda dry. I montion to my driver to hold up. I ask the attendent if we could we get a little water in the box..."Yeah sure!" he replied, and squirted some water in on the pad. I motion my driver up into the box. He gets a good burnout, I motion him out of the box. He approaches the staging lights, and drives right through the Pre-stage light and stops in the Staged light beam. The other driver quickly gets into up to the line, but what does my driver do...?....he preceeds to back up out of the Staging light!!??! So we all know what that does --- RED LIGHT! A moment later, the tree comes down, and the other driver makes his pass.... My driver knows he screwed up, but also leaves half-heartedly in order to clear the track.......... We are done! Back at the trailer, he is cussing at himself..I say to him, "Well, you simply confirmed that you ARE human and not a robot! It happens...it does no good to beat yourself up."

So, one sleepy test pass, one 'brain fart' red light...... now we're letting the car cool down.
    Do we load up for the 4+ hour trip back home....or should we buy back in?
    .........With the heat still in the low 90's and 60+% humidity, we agreed to simply toss in the sweaty towel...and pack it up.... It was a quiet ride back north while enjoying the dually's welcome A/C.... Considering no broken or bent car parts, not being rained out, spending time with friends --- it will still go down as a good day in my book!

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus;n507814[COLOR=#0000CD
      ]The car was stupid good yesterday. The driver was just stupid. LOL [/COLOR]The driver let the car down in the fourth round. Gonna go back and try it again today. That wasnt originally the plan going in to this weekend, but the car is running too well to let it sit right now.
      KV,
      I am looking forward to hear about the details of yesterday and of the results from today..... no matter what happens, it's all racing and it's still better than washing windows! LOL

Ryan

Comment

• So, that APD carb is not any faster than my 30 yr old BG carb, but it was printing tickets. Saturday off the trailer it went 6.430. Second pass it went 6.429. Dialed it 6.43 first round and went 6.430. Second round left the 6.43 and went 6.446 killing 2.5 mph. Next round dialed it 6.42 and went 6.443 killing just over 4 mph. Left the 6.42 for the fourth round, was late at the hit, and went 6.422, MOV .008 the wrong way.
        Not a thing wrong with any of that. That's as consistent as the toilet ever was.
        Sunday, first hit off the trailer 6.418. Second pass, 6.422. First round dialed it 6.42, went 6.443 killing just over 3 mph. Second round I got paired up with a guy in a door car dialed 4.98. Knowing he has a lot of mph for the ET, I left the dial at 6.42 although I was pretty confident it was going to run a 6.43. I would rather lose by going 43 on a 42 against a car I cant judge than go 42 with an 8 on a 43 and lose. The car went 6.435, and I treed the hell out of him for the W. Next round, I dialed it 6.43, and here's where my year came back to remind me how sh**ty my luck is. I did the burnout, everything was good, staged, still good, let go of the button and went wide open and still good, the car left, moved about 10-12 feet then died just like someone shut off the ignition switch. No pop, no burble, nothing, just off. I pulled over, they pushed me back off the track behind the water box, and I spun it over. It had oil pressure, but I could hear a lite hole. I fire it up, and it sounds ok, but that cam is so nasty it can be on 7 cylinders and still sound good. I drive back to the trailer, pull the hood, and try to find a loose electrical connection. At this point I'm just hoping the lite hole from a cylinder getting washed down when it shut off so abruptly. I talked with a buddy and he said he had a master disconnect switch do that when it went bad; shut the car off right at the hit, but act normal the rest of the time. Ok, maybe we have a culprit. I stick the hood back on, fire it up (still a lite hole), get it running (fires right up just like norma) blip the throttle and it pops back thru the carb and fire flies out from under the scoop. Uh oh. Do it again, same result. My buddy is standing there looking at it and when I shut it off he says "Did I see what I think I saw?". Me "if it was fire, yep."
        Leave the hood off, spin it over and in rhythm with the lite cylinder it is huffing back thru the carb.
        So, my best guess is it has a bent intake valve. Why it bent one period is beyond me. Why it shut off is still a mystery, and why it possibly bent a valve at the hit and not the shift is really baffling.
        I'm going out in a few minutes to unload it and pull the valve covers and see if anything is obvious.
        If it has a bent valve, I'm done for the year, and maybe just done period.

Rob Hetzler
        M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
        Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Happy to report it is NOT a bent valve. All the lash is still right where I set it. However, cylinders #1 and #2 only have 30 psi of cranking compression, #4 has 195 psi. I didnt check #3 as it is tuff to get to.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• .........a blown head gasket on the right side?

Ryan

Comment

• That's kind of what I'm thinking now.
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• It blew the gasket between those two cylinders. The head cleaned up like nothing had ever happened to it, but the block has a touch of pitting left after the cleanup, but I think it will be ok.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Did you figure out why it died out?
                  ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                  -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                  -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                  " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• I wonder why the gasket failed.....? Is the head surface flat at the blowout?

Ryan

Comment

• Rob that really bites. I hope you get it straightened out. best of luck to you.......

Keith
                      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

• What type gasket are you using and at what thickness is it.And was the gasket in the motor for a long period of time.Just curious
                        1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
                        1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
                        NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

• I think it failed because it was way too lean.
                          The gasket is an Edelbrock gasket. They are .038 thick, 4.08 bore. These were installed at the beginning of last year when I put the motor together.
                          I've heard from a couple of people that APD has a tendency to ship out their carbs lean. Add to that mix the fact I have a motor with huge, lazy ports, and that makes it worse. It seemed to build a lot of water temp, way faster than my BG ever did, and honestly, probably as fast as a gas carb would. I thought it was a touch lean right away because of that. And I'm talking, pull out of the lanes at 145-150 water temp, and be almost 170 by time I staged, and be 190-195 by time I got back to the trailer. My BG I would come out of the lanes at 160, and maybe be 170 by time I staged, be around 180-185 by time I got back to the trailer. I never had to run the fan in the staging lanes with my BG just to keep the water temp at a constant temp when I would fire it up and move forward in the lanes like I was having to do last weekend.

I know everyone's metering blocks are different, as are some other internal passages which will effect how much jet a carb needs, plus all that other stuff I cant even think of right now, but I got to looking around and comparing a couple of specs. This carb flows 1040 cfm and came with .158 square. That seems like a lot until you realize Quick Fuel sells a 1050 alchy carb (4150 based as well), and it comes with .176 square. Even their 850 comes with .154 square, and their 950 comes with .160 square. My 920 (approximate since I never could get an answer from anyone as to how much it actually flows) cfm BG has .136 in the front (with a .025 hole in the passage above each jet for a total of .161), and .185 in the back. Even Holley's Ultra XP alchy 950 comes with .172 square in it.
                          If you add up the 2 carbs that are the closest in size plus my old BG, and I'm sure this is so incredibly flawed I shouldn't even be doing it, but my BG has a total of .692 jet area. The Quick Fuel 1050 has a total of .704 jet area. My new APD has a total of .632 jet area. One of these is not like the other.

I know this, I'm going to put at least .170 square in it before it goes back to the track. And I wont be surprised if the MPH picks up because of it.
                          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• So you have edelbrock head gasket are they any different from the felpro or mr gasket besides the thickness.By the way do you run a windage tray on any of your Cleveland’s if so had you ever had a problem using it.And it looks like you will be up and running in a short amount of time.
                            1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
                            1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
                            NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

• They look just like the FelPro 1013 before they changed them. Except they cost half as much.

I have run a windage tray twice. Both times it was horrible timing as the motor came apart right away and destroyed the windage tray. I stopped running one after the second one was ruined. I dont think they had anything to do with the motors coming apart as we were still trying to figure out the oiling system mods at the time, but I havent run one since.

I did get the new master cut off switch put on tonight. I'm hoping that is what caused it to shut off like it did when it left the line. The one that was on there was an old Moroso unit that was on the car when I bought it in 1999. And I have no idea how long it had been on there before that. It's got a big ole Flaming River switch on it now.
                              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                                I did get the new master cut off switch put on tonight. I'm hoping that is what caused it to shut off like it did when it left the line. The one that was on there was an old Moroso unit that was on the car when I bought it in 1999. And I have no idea how long it had been on there before that. It's got a big ole Flaming River switch on it now.
                                Wired to switch the positive (+) cable/post, correct?

Not long ago, I had a discussion with a fella at the track that his switch was wired through his negative (-) cable and that some Tech guys won't let that get through.......

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X