Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep. I hooked it back up the way it had been run for years. It's just a new, bigger, switch.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• It's all back together and runs again.
      Even after leaning out the idle mixture screws, with the bigger jets it doesnt build heat any where near as quick as it did before.
      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• GREAT JOB, KV!!

Most of the track events are done here in MI....just some TnT left...... will you still be able to get it out to test there?

Ryan
        Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• There are a couple of big money races yet, and I'm gonna run one of them for sure (the Doorslammer Nationals). There is a smaller race in two weeks I plan on running as well.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
            GREAT JOB, KV!!

Most of the track events are done here in MI....just some TnT left...... will you still be able to get it out to test there?

Ryan
            Shoot, they usually race into late Oct-early Nov here, guess it's the same where Rob is. Closest track to me has already closed this year though, they had a freak starting line accident and a guy standing behind the line got ran over and killed, so they closed out of respect for the family.
            ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
            -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
            -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
            " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• There's a race this weekend I plan on running, then the big, 3 day, all door car race in November. After that there is a race Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm not committed to running it, nor really intending too at this point. So there is 4 for sure, maybe 7 days of racing left.

I knew when I had the head and intake off, I had got some crap in the lifter valley. I figured I would let it run awhile then change the oil filter. When I pulled the filter off, the oil looked horrible. So off to town I went to buy some new oil, and a different brand than what I had been running. The last two times I changed it with that oil, it looked terrible. I'm thinking it wasnt happy with the alcohol. I even dumped some in a jug, left it in the sun for a week (when it was upper 90's every day), then dumped a little and it looked just as bad as it did when I dumped it out of the motor. A lot of oils the water and alchy will separate or even evaporate out of the oil when you do that, but not this stuff.

To recap for the upcoming weekend; half inch shorter front tires, new oil change, fattened the carb up (went from .158 to .172), and tightened the lash up a touch (I realized they were all at .022 and the card calls for .016/.018, so I set them all at .018.)
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
                Sounds like a plan of attack to me!

What do you think about running it some to get some heat in the motor - so you can see if the oil clears up from being so gunky?
                If it doesn't look better, I'd be tempted to change the filter for sure, the oil (again) maybe........

Ryan

Comment

• That turned out exactly how I should have expected. First pass, just past half track, it blew the other head gasket.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• well that certainly sux !
                    you know what do do so just go for it ..... better luck next time.

Keith
                    34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

• What I need to do is sell it. That's the logical and practical thing to do. And even if I dont do that, I'm not sure I have the desire to fix that head gasket for one more weekend of racing this year.
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
                        It would be one thing if you didn't know what it needed.....but you know what it needs and that is fresh head gasket.

You're a racer, so...finish your cold brew, and get to it and get it back in the lanes for the last call of 2019!

Ryan

Comment

• I always replace head gaskets in pairs. Only time I didn't was on a stock street motor and it blew shortly too. Figured it's only a few more bolts, so why not?
                          ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
                          -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
                          -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
                          " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Changing head gaskets in the car on a 351C is not an easy task. Frankly, it sucks.
                            I think my car is parked for the year. I have no desire to waste any more time working on that POS when I know something else is just going to break. It's a 3 day race so there is no doubt in my mind the car will break before the weekend is over. I have not been able to go to the track more than twice at any point this year without something breaking and I am done with it. Spending obscene amounts of money and wasting hundreds of hours on a car that is ALWAYS broken is not any fun any more.
                            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I think I'm going to take KK's car to test n tune tomorrow night. They are also running a gambler's race. I figure if nothing else it will give me a couple more shots at the tree to make sure the delay box is dialed in before the big door car race. KK was going to drive tomorrow night, but she has been diagnosed with a bulging disc in her neck and she isnt comfortable driving the car right now. Cant really say I blame her. Even if I fix my car before the door car race, I still plan on taking her car for the Friday race and run it as well. That way (if mine is fixed before hand) when it breaks that weekend I still have something to race.
                              I ~might~ pull the head off my car tomorrow. I havent committed to it yet, but I'm kind of leaning that way.
                              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                                I think I'm going to take KK's car to test n tune tomorrow night. They are also running a gambler's race. I figure if nothing else it will give me a couple more shots at the tree to make sure the delay box is dialed in before the big door car race. KK was going to drive tomorrow night, but she has been diagnosed with a bulging disc in her neck and she isnt comfortable driving the car right now. Cant really say I blame her. WHEN I fix my car before the door car race, I still plan on taking her car for the Friday race and run it as well. That way ( WHEN mine is fixed before hand) when it breaks that weekend I still have something to race.
                                I WILL pull the head off my car tomorrow. I AM leaning that way.

You KNOW we are all pulling for ya, KV!

- Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X