Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm with Ryan!!! Wish I was close to ya where I could pitch in and git er done!
    ----1999 F150 XLT Lariat Super Cab 4X4 5.4----
    -----1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe 5.0-----
    -----2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4----
    " Sometimes you fix the car, sometimes the car fixes you" Steve L.

"Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America". President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• atta boy Rob, just keep at it !

Keith
      34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

• I hear what you are saying,But one thing you need to ask yourself What would you do if you did decide to give it up.Racing by yourself for the most part is part of it and it gives you something to do with your time and that is probably more important than the money to me.Ive been breaking stuff and paying entry fees going on two years and every time I feel like stopping but I always look back and say what else would I be doing so i continue to press on.I just hope that one year I can have a good year were things fall in place.
        There is also the amount of bracket racing for decent amounts of money that you guys have to look forward to,here on the west coast not a lot of weekly bracket racing for us to look forward to and keeping a racecar running week after week .I can count the amount of decent bracket races we have on one hand.
        Last edited by astikhossw; 10-18-2019, 04:04 PM.
        1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
        1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
        NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

• Finding stuff do that does not include the racecar would not be difficult at all.

We went last night. The track was bad from the start, and only got worse as the night went on. They waited until a little after 8:00 to start the gambler's race. By then the sun had been down for a couple of hours, there was no heat in the track, and it was slick with a capital S. I made a pass about twenty to 8 and it spun the tires so hard after half track it slowed down a full tenth. I came back and stuck it right on the trailer. It's a mid 6.40 car with 32x15 tires, it shouldn't be spinning the tires like that. There was one guy there with a chassis car that runs 5.40s. Once the sun went down he never made it past half track under power.
          Rob Hetzler
          M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
          Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• It runs again. Given the way this year has gone, I have no idea how long it will run this time. It might not run long enough to even put it on the trailer before something else breaks.
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I never got a chance to test my car out before the door car race next weekend. A couple of tracks were supposed to run today but all cancelled when the forecast called for a high of 40*, cloudy and gusty winds. Needless to say it's kinda crappy outside.
              Now I just need to decide if I want to take both cars next weekend (run both on Friday then decide which one to run the other two days), or just take my car. I need to get the big trailer out if I'm taking both, and it currently has a yard decoration sitting on it (an old car that doesnt really run), and it's kind of buried behind a bunch of other yard decorations. I havent towed it in several years, so I would need to check all the wheel bearings at a minimum before it leaves the property. I put new tires on it last year, and they've never moved a foot yet.
              I dont trust my car to get thru an entire weekend without something breaking and I'm not comfortable in KK's car. The seat is different, it sits too high for me, (she is only 5'2 so the seat is set so it's easier for her to see), the transbrake switch is different and it's mounted in a different place, etc. All that stuff adds up to it being hard to be consistent at the tree, and I already have enough problem with that as it is due to lack of seat time.
              I did change front shocks on her car to try and slow down how quick the nose comes up, but I havent run it since then.

I dont know what to do at this point.
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• How far away is the race next weekend? If it's not too far, I'm inclined to suggest you take your car. If it gives you fits, then you can decide to go get KK's car. From the sounds of it, digging out the big trailer, unloading it and prepping it seems like a lot to do within the next few days......

Ryan
                Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• Thanks Ryan. I was kind of leaning that way myself but wasnt sure if I was just being unrealistic.
                  It's about 40 minutes away. I am planning on entering the whole weekend as a weekend entry is $380, where as each day individually is 150, 200, 150. I actually messaged the promoter last night (he used to live in this area and I raced with him a fair bit) and ran the scenario by him where I enter the whole weekend but then my car breaks so I go home to get KK's car for the remaining days and asked if I would get a time run. They never used to allow time runs for someone who had been down the track even if they switched cars. But he said they have relaxed the rule and I would get one if I would need to switch cars. They give one time run on Friday, then no more time runs the rest of the weekend unless it's a new entry.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Sounds like a plan, KV. Good to know people...... d - Ryan

Comment

• It's good to know important people. LOL
                      I'm just thankful he's not actually racing in this race. He's a bottom bulb guy, and one of the best there is. Alex had said many years ago this fellow is one of the best bottom bulb guys he had ever seen. He used to run the same track I did when he lived in this area, and would pit pretty close to me. I spent a lot of time talking with him (actually listening) about dialing the car and other strategy. I learned a lot from him.
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I got everything loaded up and ready to roll out of here bright and early. It's looking like instead of a 3 day race, it's going to be a 2 day race. The forecast for Saturday looks like crap and is now 90% chance of rain all day. The organizers put out a post saying if the forecast is the same (lousy) for Saturday before the Friday's race, they are changing the payout structure. Instead of it being 10/20/10, it will pay 20K on Friday and 20K on Sunday for the same weekend entry fee.

I broke down and ordered a Computech EGT kit. If I would have had it when I put this carb on I would have seen right away it was too lean and been able to avoid the blown head gaskets fiasco. Better late than never I suppose. It showed up yesterday and I ran out of daylight before I could get done. The probe is mounted and the wire is run in to the cabin and I know where I'm going to mount the monitor. So at this point it's simply zip tying the cable out of the way and using the supplied velcro to stick the monitor on the dash. I figure there will be somewhere around 250 cars there, so I'm gonna have some time to get that done before my one time run.
                        And remember, if you are at work and have some time to kill, you can watch a live feed of this race here;
                        http://motormaniatv.com/american-doo...mer-nationals/
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
                          I'll be sending you thoughts, prayers & wishes that you have decent weather, are able to make some decent passes and make rounds!

Go kick some Chebbie Butts, my Friend!!

- Ryan

Comment

• Thanks Ryan.
                            That was a bust yesterday. Nothing on the car broke, but the driver sucked and spent a lot of money to prove it. The EGT reads way high still, but I'm not sure I'm completely believing it's still that lean. It just doesnt gain that much water temp during a pass now. The EGT is reading mid 1200's after a pass, but it's only gaining 10-12* of water temp.
                            As for the actual race, it didnt go well for me.
                            We were only going to get one "official" time run, but they had the first half hour opened up for open time runs to help get the track run in. I was 5th pair in line. I stuck a 6.34 in the box as if I had to dial it off the trailer. I watched the three pair in front of me (that I could see), all spun the tires. I was in the water box and the guy in front of me spun so hard they backed us out of the water and shut us off. They then proceeded to take the next 15 minutes to spray and drag the track again. Yay, first car down a freshly prepped track ~rolleyes~. It initially left ok, got out maybe 40 feet and chattered a little, moved to the right a bit, chattered the tires again, then settled down the rest of the run to a 6.355, and I was WAY red. I stuck ten in the box and just chalked it up to being anxious after sitting so long. A couple of hours later I went back up for my official time run and told the better half via text, "its going to go 33 this pass." I was .011 and it went 6.335. Dialed it 6.33 for the first round. Both of us got staged, and we sat there, and sat there and sat there. Then I flinched just as it was coming on and I went big time red. Found out later than night they have turned autostart off for this weekend. The car ran 6.337 in a losing effort. I bought back, left it on the 33 for the buyback round, and added 5 little numbers to the box "just to be safe." At this point I have more time in the box than I've ran in my car and yet, I need to add some more as I was .003 red. The car slowed up a touch to a 6.348. Not sure if it's because I crossed over on a car over half a second slower than me, or because the humidity went up. The 60 foot dropped off a touch, but the mph was the highest of the day. It didnt feel like it spun at all.
                            Today's race has already been called because of the forecast, so I get to sit around all day and over think it before going back tomorrow.
                            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
                              I'm glad to hear you went and made passes yesterday!

Regarding your EGT, what do your sparkplugs look like? Do they look like they are runnning hot or cool?

Hoping you have good weather tomorrow....

- Ryan

Comment

• They've been in the motor most of the year, you cant tell anything from them.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X