Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well,,,so how did the White Horse run today, KV? Or should I be asking how well did the driver cut the light?

Were you able to make rounds? We need to know!

- Ryan
    Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• I went a few rounds yesterday. Didnt get home until almost 9 pm, so by time I took a shower and got something to eat, I didnt even turn my computer on.
      Now on to the details. First, there were 275 entries for first round. Since it was a "dial it and go" day where we didnt get a time run, I made the decision to double enter my car. My first entry, after looking at the weather details, and seeing everything was better (dew point was ten degrees lower, ambient temp was ten degrees less, corrected DA was 500 feet lower), plus the sun was on the track and we had a tail wind, I was confident it was going to go quicker than the 6.33 it was running Friday. I had a 6.30 in the box when I counted back and saw I was running a car dialed 6.51. Ok, since this is a guessing game and I'm actually chasing, I stuck a 6.32 on the window and knew I needed to remember I really thought it was going to go a 30. I caught him fairly quick, put a wheel on him and started riding the brakes figuring I was on a breakout pass. Right before the stripe I stabbed the pedal harder to make sure I didnt break out and......let him back around by .006. The curse words flowed like a waterfall when I looked at the scoreboard and saw I went 6.37. What was worse was, when I got the ticket I realized based off half track it was on a 6.33 pass. I had stuck a little time in the box after the red light Friday night and was a pretty mediocre .034. I pulled the time back out, stuck a 32 on the window, and went back up an hour later for my other entry. I was still convinced it was going to go quicker than 33. I got lined up with an 80s fox body dialed 6.33 to my 6.32. The tree came down, and I visibly left first. Got to the stripe, ripped it twice, and went 6.347. Half track showed it would have gone 6.33 again. Oh yeah, I left first because he was .034 to my .000 (won a free t shirt for the light.) Stuck a 33 on it for second round and put .006 in the box (perfect is too close for comfort for me, especially since that same setting turned red Friday night.) I was .017 and went 6.333 for the W. Left the box alone next round, dialed it down one because by now it was dark and had cooled off even more and I was still convinced it was going to go 32. Then there was an oil down in front of us. I was about 4 pair back from when it happened. The motor got cold and I never did get it back up to temp before we ran. I was .012, he was .028, I ran 6.357 and managed to take .003 MOV because he ran off as well. Crap, cant leave a 32 or even 33 on it now that it's gone 35. I left the box alone, dialed it 35 against a 6.15 car. I got behind at the hit; .025 to a .021. I took .005 finish line. Bad thing is, it was a double breakout pass and I went 6.328 to his 6.147. I had no room to do anything and really didnt think it would run that quick again. In hindsight it had to be the lack of heat in the motor that caused the previous round slow down. It sure wasnt in the 60. My sixty foot times were; 1.389, 1.389, 1.389, 1.387, 1.387. Third round on the slow down pass it lost almost all of it between the sixty foot timer and half track.
      All in all it was a decent day. The car worked well, the driver was not great but he wasnt terrible either, and the car managed to get thru a multi day race without something breaking.
      I'm planning on going Friday to a 10K to win race, and that will be it for the year with my car. If the weather holds out, the following weekend is a free race that I'll take KK's car and run it in to see how the new shocks affected it.
      Rob Hetzler
      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
        I went a few rounds yesterday. Didnt get home until almost 9 pm, so by time I took a shower and got something to eat, I didnt even turn my computer on.
        Now on to the details. First, there were 275 entries for first round. Since it was a "dial it and go" day where we didnt get a time run, I made the decision to double enter my car. My first entry, after looking at the weather details, and seeing everything was better (dew point was ten degrees lower, ambient temp was ten degrees less, corrected DA was 500 feet lower), plus the sun was on the track and we had a tail wind, I was confident it was going to go quicker than the 6.33 it was running Friday. I had a 6.30 in the box when I counted back and saw I was running a car dialed 6.51. Ok, since this is a guessing game and I'm actually chasing, I stuck a 6.32 on the window and knew I needed to remember I really thought it was going to go a 30. I caught him fairly quick, put a wheel on him and started riding the brakes figuring I was on a breakout pass. Right before the stripe I stabbed the pedal harder to make sure I didnt break out and......let him back around by .006. The curse words flowed like a waterfall when I looked at the scoreboard and saw I went 6.37. What was worse was, when I got the ticket I realized based off half track it was on a 6.33 pass. I had stuck a little time in the box after the red light Friday night and was a pretty mediocre .034. I pulled the time back out, stuck a 32 on the window, and went back up an hour later for my other entry. I was still convinced it was going to go quicker than 33. I got lined up with an 80s fox body dialed 6.33 to my 6.32. The tree came down, and I visibly left first. Got to the stripe, ripped it twice, and went 6.347. Half track showed it would have gone 6.33 again. Oh yeah, I left first because he was .034 to my .000 (won a free t shirt for the light.) Stuck a 33 on it for second round and put .006 in the box (perfect is too close for comfort for me, especially since that same setting turned red Friday night.) I was .017 and went 6.333 for the W. Left the box alone next round, dialed it down one because by now it was dark and had cooled off even more and I was still convinced it was going to go 32. Then there was an oil down in front of us. I was about 4 pair back from when it happened. The motor got cold and I never did get it back up to temp before we ran. I was .012, he was .028, I ran 6.357 and managed to take .003 MOV because he ran off as well. Crap, cant leave a 32 or even 33 on it now that it's gone 35. I left the box alone, dialed it 35 against a 6.15 car. I got behind at the hit; .025 to a .021. I took .005 finish line. Bad thing is, it was a double breakout pass and I went 6.328 to his 6.147. I had no room to do anything and really didnt think it would run that quick again. In hindsight it had to be the lack of heat in the motor that caused the previous round slow down. It sure wasnt in the 60. My sixty foot times were; 1.389, 1.389, 1.389, 1.387, 1.387. Third round on the slow down pass it lost almost all of it between the sixty foot timer and half track.
        All in all it was a decent day. The car worked well, the driver was not great but he wasnt terrible either, and the car managed to get thru a multi day race without something breaking.
        I'm planning on going Friday to a 10K to win race, and that will be it for the year with my car. If the weather holds out, the following weekend is a free race that I'll take KK's car and run it in to see how the new shocks affected it.
        I'm wearing a smile, KV,,,,, Glad to hear you went rounds,,,glad to hear your hot rod Mustang pretty much ran the number and your experience gave you the sense to make good decisions on what to put in the box AND you cut some good lights..... ALL IS WELL IN THE M&M RACING FORUM NEIGHBORHOOD TONIGHT!!!

Meanwhile, what do you want to do/check over before you head out to the Friday 10K race?

- Ryan
        Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• I’m going to put some new plugs in it so I can try and determine if the carb is jetted right. The EGT reads way high, but the water temp gains about the correct amount during a pass, unlike when I first bolted this carb on.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Yesterday was an "ok" day. I lost third round, but we have pretty much determined my fuel pump isnt keeping up. They had "open" time runs for 2 1/2 hours, then were going to take a short break and start elims. I made my first pass without changing anything on the car from last week other than putting one new plug in so I could look at it afterwords. I made the pass and it went [email protected] mph. I pulled the plug, looked at it, couldn't figure out anything myself, so I sent a pic of it to a buddy of mine in Iowa who knows more about tuning alchy motors than anyone I know. He said "it's way lean. Fatten it up 12 numbers, put another new plug in and make a pass." I did. I went from .176 to .188 jets, which is way more than this motor should need in my opinion. I made the pass and the EGT still read way lean (read the same as it did with the .176 jets.) I pulled the plug and it looked identical to the one from the first pass. However, the car liked having more fuel for at least part of the run as it went [email protected] mph even though it lost just a touch in the 60'. I sent him a pic of the plug and he said "call me." Uh oh. LOL
            He said with that big of a jump in jet we should have seen a change on the plugs and the EGT unless the pump cant keep up and it's running the bowls dry. He asked what pump I was running and I couldn't remember for sure, so I crawled under the car to verify, then I looked up the description on it; "good for 950 hp on gas, 500 on alcohol." Uh oh, I'm a good bit over 500 and honestly probably a bit over 600.
            I left it that way and ran it the rest of the day. Then when I loaded the car up to go home, I noticed it left several oil spots (half dollar sized), on the trailer. It wasn't doing that when I got there.
            That was the last race I was planning on running my car in, so it's not a big deal.
            But it looks like the money pit needs a new fuel pump, I need to replace the front windshield with a better quality Lexan this time (it's not real clear any more and kind of tuff to see out of), and now I need to figure out where it's leaking oil and/OR fix that head on the 393 and stick it in the car instead (that's the one I would like to do.)
            Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Wow I find it unbelievable that you guys are still bracket racing for decent money this time of the year.And it sounds like once you replace your fuel pump with one that can keep you may be in the high 5’s. Just how are you all able to race every weekend for such large amounts of money and low entry amounts if we raced like that here entry would be over 300.00 just to enter.The only race I know of over here is the spring fling and they only take a certain amount of door cars it’s mostly dragsters.But anyway looks like things are getting better for you.
              1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
              1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
              NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

• All the big money races are at the end of the year here. Yesterday was 10K to win, $175 entry fee, first or second round buybacks at 100 bucks a pop. Last weekend it was $380 for the whole weekend with the scheduled purse at 10/20/10. This is the last weekend of the year. Even now it's borderline too cold for tracks to hook consistent let alone any later in the year.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Last race of the year this weekend. Well, there are a couple of tracks east of here that run some special stuff, but I've never been to them and have no desire to go.
                  Sunday is a "free" race. You pay the spectator fee at the gate, and it's $1000 to win, 300 r-up. There's no round money and they dont pay buck until quarters. But hey, it's only ten bucks to run. I'm going to take KK's car and double enter it. I need to see if my experiment with different shocks on the front of her car will slow down the front end rise enough to make it acceptable for her to drive.
                  I've pretty much decided the plan on my car is new fuel pump, new windshield, and fix the oil leak. That's it. I'm tired of spending money on it.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• 10.00 bucks to enter a 1000.00 race he’ll it 55.00 bucks around here just for tnt. And there are plenty cars showing up just for that.But hey Kid can you tell me how you have your cleveland block oiling system set up like which oil pan and pump you are running,if you run a windage tray or scraper any restrictions in the block and there sizes and how much oil pan capacity.Im doing me a bracket cleveland for next season and want to make sure I have something that will live for a little while at around 7500-8000 rpm.Thanks
                    1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
                    1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
                    NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

• It's normally 50 or 55 bucks for 1500 to win around here, but those have round money, and this doesnt. Test n tune is generally 25 bucks at most tracks.

I'm probably not the right guy to ask about making a cleveland live. LOL
                      My current combo oiling system is pretty straight forward. It's a Milodon deep sump pan, Melling HV pump, Moroso oil restrictors, no scraper or windage tray. The pan holds 7 quarts, but since I run 1/8 mile only, I only run 6 in the pan. This motor has an aftermarket crank in it (Crower steel), and I think that helps with the oiling, along with SBC Oliver billet rods. I think the smaller rod bearing also helps with keeping it alive. The oil returns in the heads have been opened up and smoothed a little, and the returns in the valley on the block have been opened up as well. I did pull the filter mount off and open up the passage behind it some. With 0-20 synthetic oil it carries about 65-70 pounds cold, and once warmed up it holds about 35. I 2 step it to 5000, my converter stalls 6000, and I shift it at 7400. I've spun it 7800 and it does go quicker, but given I am always in the bottom (slowest) 25% in my class, so even if it's .05-.06 quicker shifting it higher, it doesnt change that I'm still slow, so I turn it back a little just for the sake of longevity.
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                      X