Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made some progress this weekend. I had removed my steering wheel so I could install a couple of new switches. I wanted to put a bump down switch on, plus slightly change the location of my primary switch as well as install a different type of switch. Once I got the wheel off I realized how crappy it looked. That meant, I ended up sanding it and then shooting some black paint on it. It's not show quality, but it looks better than it did. I got the switches installed (after fabbing up a bracket for the bump down), got the wheel back on, but still need to hook up the primary switch and buy a stretch cord for the bump down.
    I also ran valve lash, put new gaskets on, and got the valve covers installed.
    Other than putting the belt drive pump on and the associated hoses, the car is in a race-able form right now.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

When do the tracks open up around you? Sounds like you're dang near ready!
      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

One of the tracks actually starts next weekend. Test n tune and flea market on saturday, "free" race on sunday (free with gate fee). I'm actually thinking if the weather looks decent and I can get those last few things done in time (busy week for me coming up), I would like to go on saturday.
        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

I wasnt able to go today.
          I got the belt drive pump on, fired it up, switched it to alchy, and it sounded dang good. It kind of sounds like it's mad at something.
          I warmed it up, then, uh oh, coolant leaks. Two of them.
          I messed around with the worst one for maybe two hours and never did get it to stop. It slowed, but still leaked.
          Crap. That will teach me for buying cheap full swivel AN fittings. I ordered some new ones, and hopefully they will last longer than this one did.

Here is a vid of it running on alchy with the new custom cam.

https://youtu.be/xlLW8rG3RRU
          Report this post
          Last edited by kid vishus; 02-25-2018, 11:56 AM.
          Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Hell yeah! That put a grin on my face. Thanks for posting that, Rob.

Comment

Man that cleveland is cackling sounds sweet
              1984 Thunderbird svo v-6 10.088 131.67 mph
              1972 mustang coupe nhra stock eliminator 351c ho
              NEVER HAVE SO FEW OWED SO MUCH TOO SO MANY

Comment

KV,
                Are you planning to TnT today? Love to here how the new cam does for ya.........

Ryan
                Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
                  KV,
                  Are you planning to TnT today? Love to here how the new cam does for ya.........

Ryan
                  Yes I am.
                  Car is loaded up and I will head out in a couple of hours.
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post

Yes I am.
                    Car is loaded up and I will head out in a couple of hours.
                    Well........ how did you do?

Comment

It ran pretty good. I'm thinking right out of the gate, without any real tuning, it picked up about .04 in the 1/8. It still leaves the same, but it's running more mph which tells me it's making more hp.
                      My lights were decent, but more importantly, they were consistent and followed the box.
                      First pass, based off of the weather conditions and the previous cam, I figured the car would go a high 6.25 or low 6.26. So when it went 6.238, I was pleasantly surprised. Next pass without changing anything except the box, it went 6.234. Cool, it's consistent. I then decided to turn up the launch rpm a little as well as the shift point to see what that would do. I went 200 rpm on each, from 5600 to 5800, and from 7400 to 7600. I think the launch rpm was too much. The 60 was the same, but it just didnt feel as good. I'll turn it back down before the next time out. However, it did like the extra shift rpm as it went 6.214@110.4, and all the ET it gained was on the back half of the track. That is also the fastest this motor/converter/gear combo has ever gone in my car. The previous quickest was 6.221@109.7, in better air.
                      As for my lights, I'm liking the new transbrake switch and the slight adjustment I made in the mounting point.
                      First light was .029, and that didnt surprise me. I had more time in the box than I normally run at this track.
                      Second pass I pulled .010 out, and was .020. Not perfect, but only .001 difference so I'll take it.
                      Third pass I pulled another .010 out, so I should have been .009 or .010 if I was consistent letting go of it. However, I never took in to account raising the launch rpm, and ended up .001. A buddy of mine who wins A LOT, says for him every 100 rpm change in launch rpm is worth .003 in reaction time. .003 x 200 rpm is .006.
                      .006 from .009-.010 is .003-.004. So I was .002-.003 quicker letting go of the button that pass. I'll take it.
                      At t his point, I want to turn the shift point up to 7800, and maybe put a little timing in it to see how it reacts.
                      Other than that, I think the car is in better shape to win some races now than it has been in awhile.
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

It ran pretty good. Other than that, I think the car is in better shape to win some races now than it has been in awhile.
                        .....and it sounds as though the driver hasn't lost any of his edge at cutting a light....and it is encouraging to hear the positiveness in his voice! GO GET 'EM, KV!!

Ryan

Comment

Sounds like a great start for a new racing year! Good Luck!!!
                          Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Nice gain! Tuff to pick up a ton when you already had an optimized combo.
                            1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
                            347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
                            363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
                            244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

At t his point, I want to turn the shift point up to 7800, and maybe put a little timing in it to see how it reacts.

KV,
                              Did you get your adjustments made and headed to the track this weekend?

​​​​​​​Ryan

Comment

No one within 3 hours is racing this weekend. Everyone who had something on the schedule cancelled as it is supposed to rain all weekend.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X