Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, it ran well. I'm still learning what it's going to do with weather changes and missed a little in the 4th round (on both ends of the track actually

Last time run thru third round, it had been 1.35 something sixty foot, and 4.01 something, plus one 4.008 half track. I dialed it down one number for fourth round as it was starting to cool off, and it went 1.345 sixty, and 3.994 half track and went 6.258 on a 6.27.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

• 1.34 # 60ft....and within 0.012 of your dial @ the stripe..... I'm chalking it up as a BIG SUCCESS, KV!!

Are you tracking the weather conditions before/after each pass?
      What variables are you tracking - air temp, humidity, etc. ?
      what about tracking car slick temps, track surface temps, coolant/trans temps, fuel capacities, battery charge condition, etc.?

Ryan
      Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

• I track corrected DA, baro, temp, humidity, dew point after each pass. I will check all the air conditions right before I head to the lanes.
        I always pull out of the staging lanes with the motor 160-165 water temp.
        If I change from my normal tire pressure I log it. I write down the day's shock settings first pass and if I change it I will log it on that pass.
        I charge the battery every pass but dont log any charge condition.

It dawned on me this morning that we had a head wind most of the day, and when we rolled in to the water for 4th round the flag was hanging still. It wasnt a strong wind but it was constant. Losing that head wind coupled with better air is probably why it broke out that much.

My day started off rather stressful. When I got to the track, the car wouldnt start. It had ZERO fire. I finally found a loose wire coming out of the MSD box going to the distributor after we had been called to the lanes for first time run. So my first pass was all out of sorts. I was lucky I got the motor up to temp, but I know the trans and gear oil wasnt.
        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Hey Rob, glad to hear you made some rounds. As youíve seen my posts earlier Iím not happy with trucks/tow vehicles either. Hope this Bow tie I have now works out ok for me.
          79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

• Cool beans....sounds like you determined the reason for the breakout.

Do you leave your hot rod on the trailer or do you load up every time you go and unload when you come back?
            How often do you run your valve springs?

KV, - I'm not trying to be critical of your routine, I'm only trying to better understand what it is.....
            I think we can agree that written records are the best way to track & explain what does what & why.......

Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
              Hey Rob, glad to hear you made some rounds. As youíve seen my posts earlier Iím not happy with trucks/tow vehicles either. Hope this Bow tie I have now works out ok for me.
              I'm more than happy with mine. I was happy with it up until the turbo coked up this last time, and even then I couldnt really complain because the truck had been pretty hassle free. But once that happened, since I know all about what the 6.0 has tendencies to do, I decided to address it before it became an issue. The thing is a freakin beast now.
              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post
                Cool beans....sounds like you determined the reason for the breakout.

Do you leave your hot rod on the trailer or do you load up every time you go and unload when you come back?
                How often do you run your valve springs?

KV, - I'm not trying to be critical of your routine, I'm only trying to better understand what it is.....
                I think we can agree that written records are the best way to track & explain what does what & why.......

Ryan

We dont have a garage, so the car lives on the trailer. I'll cover it up with a car cover, then a tarp over that if it's going to be a couple of weeks before I go again. I'll cover it tomorrow after work. I was hoping to go this weekend, but they're calling for 3" of snow on saturday. It was 80 freakin degrees today.

I only run lash maybe once or twice a year, not counting the first time for the year. Once it's set, it just doesnt move unless something is going sour. And usually by time that happens, I can hear it, or the car has slowed down. Or, if I'm "trying" something, I'll change it just to see what it will do. Like tonight, I reset them to see if the motor wants something a little different than what the card calls for. If it doesnt, I'll put it back to spec before the next outing.
                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Headed to the track tomorrow for a regular bracket race. New cap and rotor installed, reset the valve lash, and have a couple of new by pass pills to lean it out a bit more if needed.
                  The goal is to bring home more money than I spend. LOL
                  Ok, that's funny!
                  Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• KV,
                    I'll be thinking of you and pulling for your victory into the $$!

If you are able, bring back some pics of the action........ Thks!!

Ryan

Comment

• I lost 3rd round. I didnt get any pics. There were A LOT of cars there, and we ended up pitted farther away than normal, and I didnt have my bike with me to ride to the starting line. There must have been 70 or so footbrake cars, probably 80 Top cars, and they said there were 56 gear jammers there. Add in jr dragsters and the street/novice class, and it was a long day even though I lost 3rd round. The car ran great for the most part, but for some reason it slowed way up 3rd round. I'm not sure if it was the humidity, or if it is too fat/lean, or what caused it. It went 6.272 first time run. Then followed that up with a 6.268, even though the air had gotten worse. First round I stuck it on a .27, went 6.29 killing it at the stripe. Half track showed it would have been a low 6.28, but it didnt leave quite as good due to a little operator error during the burnout. So I left the 6.27 on it for second round, and it went 6.29 again with me trying to stand it on it's head at the finish line. That one would have been dead on or a 6.28 flat had I run it out. Third round, it had gotten dark and cooled off quite a bit, and since I was running a dragster dialed 4.91 and I was in the left lane where I cant see them at all, I dialed it a 6.25 really thinking it was going to go at least a low 6.26 or a high 6.25. Instead it went 6.344. It felt fine, it just didnt go anywhere. The corrected DA had come down 1000+ feet, the dew point was within a couple of degrees where it had been all day, the temp had dropped around 10* if not more, (I'll have to check the log book later), but the humidity had gone up quite a bit. I'm just not real sure what happened other than the dragster was whomping the crap out of me when he went by. LOL
                      Supposed to rain today, so I wont get much chance to look at it to make sure nothing unusual happened to cause it.
                      Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• I realize I forgot to mention, when I got to the track, for the second time in a row, something went awry before I could even get the car off the trailer. Last time a wire on the MSD box had come just a little loose and the car wouldnt fire. This time, my starter crapped out. Bad thing was, the one on my car was my spare. Luckily KK's brother was there so I stuck his spare on my car. Now I need to get two starters; one to replace his spare and one to carry as a spare.
                        Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• At least nothing seriously broke -- Is it worth trying to get the two starters re-built?

Any more thoughts as to why the car slowed on the third pass?

Ryan

Comment

• Hey Rob, FWIW Iíve had real good luck with the Ford Racing B-50 starter. Same one on the car since C-4 days and I got a nib one that I bought from Alex before he passed.
                            79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
                            69 Stang Vert
                            69 Stang Coupe
                            92 Stang 5.0 LX
                            other DD's

Comment

• I still dont know why it slowed down. I've got an email sent to Killer Rons and see if they can help me.

I wont get them rebuilt, I'll just buy two starters. I always used to carry a spare, but when my Ford Racing starter crapped out last year, my "spare" ended up on the car.
                              Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
                                Hey Rob, FWIW Iíve had real good luck with the Ford Racing B-50 starter. Same one on the car since C-4 days and I got a nib one that I bought from Alex before he passed.
                                I've had two of them so far, and the last one didnt last near as long as the first one. My "spare" was a used factory replacement mini starter that I honestly dont remember what it came off. I had it tested, and it tested ok, so I figured it would be a good spare. It was fine for that, but when put in to normal use it wasnt happy. I need to at least get a new one to replace the one I borrowed, then decide what I want to do for a primary on my car.
                                Rob Hetzler

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                                X