Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kid vishus
    started a topic Racing updates

Racing updates

Since my previous thread had turned in to a novel and was not focused primarily on the racing aspect, I figured I would start a new topic to leave some not so thrilling updates in.

Last weekend, there was a 3 day race at Rockingham. Since we had plans on saturday, I took friday off work and made my first trip ever to 'The Rock'.
    First pass, the car spun. Everyone was spinning. One guy about 4 pairs in front of me spun so hard he turned it clear around on the track. Luckily he never hit anything. I had thought the car was going to go 6.28, but it only managed a 6.31.
    Second time run I turned the 2 step down, let the tires down, and softened the rear shocks up. It hooked a lot better (I'm sure the track got better too as it got heat in it and more cars went down it), and the car went 6.286 and I had a .013 bulb. Cool, I'm all set to go some rounds and bring home the big check.
    I filled the cell back up, and as I was walking around the car I noticed a leak. Uh oh, where's that coming from. I poked my head under the car and saw fuel running out around the fitting in the bottom of my fuel pump. Dang, hopefully it's just loose. I grabbed a wrench, reached under there.....and nope, it's tight. I stuck my head under there to get a good luck and saw a crack in the middle of the 90* bend (tube type fitting.) I pulled it off, dumping 3 gallons of alchy on the ground since I didnt have a way to cap it or capture the fuel, and went trailer to trailer hoping someone would have a spare with them. Since it was an oddball, I was out of luck. I went to the tower, got part of my money back, and came home. I fixed it the very next day. I changed it up some and completely removed the filter from the inlet line.

Yesterday, went to the track again to get some seat time and try to change my luck before the big money races coming up in November.
    Once again, I guessed the car would go 6.28 off the trailer. It went 6.291 and I was -.001 at the tree. Cool. I stuck a little time in the box, and like a dummy raised the shift point to see if the car would like that. The shift point ended up being too close to the hi end rev limter and it actually hit that chip about the same time it tried to shift, so it slowed down a touch and went 6.33 with a .013 light.
    I swapped the shift chip out, dialed it 6.30, and rolled up for first round. My light was not good, his was horrible. I drove around him, whacked it 3 times killing 4 mph and got the W going 6.330. I figured wide open it would have gone 6.310 or so. I left the 6.30 on it, went up for second round, ran it out wide open and went 6.309 and got the W. My light was a touch better but still not where I wanted it, so I took some time out of the box, left the 6.30 on the window and went back up for third round. I got lined up with car dialed 6.24 to my 6.30 so I knew we would be side by side all the way. I was .019 to his .024, and when we hit the finish line I could not tell who get there first it was that close. Turns out, he did by .001. I'm not sure why, but my car slowed down to a 6.327.
    It wasnt the outcome I was looking for, but all in all it wasnt a bad. Well, other than the float sticking on my generator after second time run causing a mild panic, but that's another story. LOL

• ford84stepside
    replied
    Sounds like a MINO, machinist in name only.......

Good machine shops are hard to find anymore. Either they only do industrial stuff or big orders, the one or two piece jobs are too far and between to pay the bills I guess. Most shops just order reman heads and short blocks or crate motors anymore, not as many folks building engines anymore. Last set of heads I had reworked I had to drive to Birmingham, 85 miles away. Nobody local could do them, GM aluminum.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Updation time.

I decided I am going to run iron heads. Cleaned up the rods and pistons yesterday. Maybe one day it wont be raining or have hurricane force winds and I will actually be able to put it together.
    That being said....
    I am so glad I am done with that "other" machine shop. Even a year later I'm still getting screwed. The set of heads they had for over a year that needed cleaned up, a valve job and springs, came back to me without the rocker studs and guide plates installed. I didnt say anything when they were handed to me like that, I was just wanting my parts and to get the hell out of there. The hardware was all tossed in a ziplock bag. Fine, give me my junk so I can go home. That is the set of heads I want to use on the 393 (because they ware supposed to be freshened up which at this point I am starting to question as well.) This morning I pulled the bag of studs and guide plates out to clean them up. I guess my math is wrong on what is required for a pair of heads because I got back 13 studs and 10 guide plates. I am fairly positive they did not get dropped off like that.
    I guess I'm going to have to take that set of heads to the good shop and have them checked over. I really have no idea what springs were put on them. The shop ticket said "double springs for roller cam". And the first set he put on there were wrong. I remember when he called me and said "how much lift does this thing have?" Me; " just shy of .700 like you wrote on the top of the ticket when I dropped them off." Him "oh, these springs coil bind at .680, that's not gonna work. I'll look to see if I can find something different."
    Me: silence.......

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Thanks.
    I was going to go this weekend, tomorrow actually, but the track decided it was going to be too cold so they pulled the plug on the whole thing. They've run this race in the past when it was colder than this, but, just another example of tracks looking for an excuse to cancel now.
    Anyways, that's a wrap on this year.
    Now to figure out if I want to run filled iron heads on the 393 or spend a dump truck load of money and run the B351 heads.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Well after your crazy season...... this wasn't a bad way to finish it out... making it to the 6th round!

CONGRATS, KV!!!

- Ryan

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Until I get time to type all of it out, I lost at 12 cars.

https://youtu.be/DNRTB7By3PI?t=30927

And yes, I hit the brakes and took 2 full mph off. I knew I needed to knock one off, which I did. Problem was, I needed to knock off two.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    KV,
    Boy, you did some GREAT pit-side brain-storming and wrenching there, my friend!

With your hotrod lined out now, did ya take some rounds????

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Thanks. I do think I've got it figured out. I'm a little disappointed that it's not any quicker than it is, but I guess it is what it is right now. When I ran this same basic combo several years ago, it would have gone mid-high 6.20's in air like we have now. Granted there are some differences, but the only major one is the converter is a touch tighter now than it was then. But it seems to be running good mph for the et. It was running just over 107 yesterday. Thats only 1 mph slower than it was running the last time out with the injection, but it's a tenth slower.
    First round today will be probably around 12:30. No time runs unless you're a new entry, then straight into first round.

Leave a comment:

• Tater351C
    replied
    Glad that you sound like you got it figured out Rob. I watched the live feed n a ton of cars there! Your 1st time run was a 6.64 with a 4 if I remember right. Car looked like it left good but looked lazy so to speak. I had the live feed on after that but didnít catch your other runs. Sounds like the fuel was the issue.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    So.....
    yesterday I got to the track and just knew I had figured out the issues from the previous time. After all, it had run great in the driveway. I fired it up, and right away could tell something was all jacked up. It was pushing fuel out of the boosters of my BG carb AGAIN. WTF?!?!?!
    I'm not fooling around with it, so I pulled it off and stuck my bud's new QF carb on it. It pushed a little fuel, but worse, we couldnt get any fuel out the squirter nozzles. Pulled the squirters, cycled the accelerator pump, and big chunks of green rubber crap came out of them. WTF x2?!?!?!?! Pulled the bowls off, pulled the accelerator pump housing, and both diaphragms were absolutely coming apart. Holy crap. Ok, I've got two more with me. I changed them, cleaned everything out real good, put it back together, and went up for my one time run. Ran a blistering 6.64. Felt like it was running out of fuel. We decided maybe I should put my BG carb back on. I pulled the bowls on it, both diaphragms were disintegrating on it as well. I had one, KK's brother had another. I swapped them out, cleaned out all the green gunk from the diaphragms, then decided the fuel was the problem. I am thoroughly convinced the last fuel I bought at the track was NOT standard methanol, but was VP brand M5, which has some sort of power booster additive in it that is known to eat up rubber parts when it sits. And let me tell ya this, it stinks to high heaven as well. And not just when it runs, but in the jug too. It smells like the strongest smelling fingernail polish removeryou ever smelled. I drained the cell, filled it with regular alcohol, threw a guess on the window for a dial in, and went up for first round. And....it ran an even more blistering 6.72, but the guy in the other lane redlit. I came back, turned the fuel pressure way up, and stuck a 6.72 on the window for second round. Yep, 6.77 and a big fat L.
    About then KK's brother said again, "you sure it aint missing? It sounds like it's missing."
    Son Of A...... yeah, about then I remembered when I pulled the plugs two weeks ago cuz it flooded so bad it wouldnt turn over, one of them made kind of a "crack" when it came loose. I looked at it and couldnt see anything wrong with it, but remember thinking "I should just go ahead and change it". But, I got all caught up in trying to figure out why it kept flooding itself and forgot to change that plug. After I lost Friday, I pulled the plug out, stuck a used plug in that hole, fired it up, and promptly had to turn the idle down 400 rpm.
    That brings us to this morning, the day of the 20 grander. The day where if we ran yesterday we were not going to get a time run. Yay, I still havent been down the track clean yet after swapping back to a carb. Oh well, I take a WAG at a dial in (6.35), and go up for first round. I was .010, my guy was -.004. WooHoo, time run! It went 6.413, but ran clean all the way down the track. Everything felt fine, it was just a bit slower than I expected. Second round, The air was real close to the same, but had gotten a couple hundred feet worse, so I dialed it 6.41 against a car dialed 6.24. We left close together, he drove up next to me and got about even with my door, but couldnt get around. I knew it was close and was about where I wanted it to be, so I ran it out and led him thru by .014. Too bad I was .006 too quick to his 6.240 on a 6.24. I led him thru by .014, but needed it to be by .007 to have won the round. There's no way I would have tried to tighten it up that much.
    Anyways, I think the car is good now. Gonna go back tomorrow and try it again, still without a time run, but at least now I have an idea what it's gonna run.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Ok, KV,,,,,for those of us who worked and didn't get to watch the coverage..........SPILL IT! WHAT HAPPENED!?

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    I sure hope no one wasted their time watching that race just to see my catastrophe.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Good luck! Hope the car performs flawlessly!

Leave a comment:

• Dennis112
    replied
    Kick their asses! Good Luck Rob!

Leave a comment:

• Tater351C
    replied
    Good Luck Rob! We got around 7-8 inches of snow/ice/currently some rain here today. Luckily the snow blower ran great this evening, Iím now a believer in the fuel additive Startron. Lol.......Iím planning on being in the shop tomorrow to get a bunch of small stuff done. Iíll tune the shop tv on to MotorMania and keep an eye out for ya.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X