Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kid vishus
    started a topic Racing updates

Racing updates

Since my previous thread had turned in to a novel and was not focused primarily on the racing aspect, I figured I would start a new topic to leave some not so thrilling updates in.

Last weekend, there was a 3 day race at Rockingham. Since we had plans on saturday, I took friday off work and made my first trip ever to 'The Rock'.
    First pass, the car spun. Everyone was spinning. One guy about 4 pairs in front of me spun so hard he turned it clear around on the track. Luckily he never hit anything. I had thought the car was going to go 6.28, but it only managed a 6.31.
    Second time run I turned the 2 step down, let the tires down, and softened the rear shocks up. It hooked a lot better (I'm sure the track got better too as it got heat in it and more cars went down it), and the car went 6.286 and I had a .013 bulb. Cool, I'm all set to go some rounds and bring home the big check.
    I filled the cell back up, and as I was walking around the car I noticed a leak. Uh oh, where's that coming from. I poked my head under the car and saw fuel running out around the fitting in the bottom of my fuel pump. Dang, hopefully it's just loose. I grabbed a wrench, reached under there.....and nope, it's tight. I stuck my head under there to get a good luck and saw a crack in the middle of the 90* bend (tube type fitting.) I pulled it off, dumping 3 gallons of alchy on the ground since I didnt have a way to cap it or capture the fuel, and went trailer to trailer hoping someone would have a spare with them. Since it was an oddball, I was out of luck. I went to the tower, got part of my money back, and came home. I fixed it the very next day. I changed it up some and completely removed the filter from the inlet line.

Yesterday, went to the track again to get some seat time and try to change my luck before the big money races coming up in November.
    Once again, I guessed the car would go 6.28 off the trailer. It went 6.291 and I was -.001 at the tree. Cool. I stuck a little time in the box, and like a dummy raised the shift point to see if the car would like that. The shift point ended up being too close to the hi end rev limter and it actually hit that chip about the same time it tried to shift, so it slowed down a touch and went 6.33 with a .013 light.
    I swapped the shift chip out, dialed it 6.30, and rolled up for first round. My light was not good, his was horrible. I drove around him, whacked it 3 times killing 4 mph and got the W going 6.330. I figured wide open it would have gone 6.310 or so. I left the 6.30 on it, went up for second round, ran it out wide open and went 6.309 and got the W. My light was a touch better but still not where I wanted it, so I took some time out of the box, left the 6.30 on the window and went back up for third round. I got lined up with car dialed 6.24 to my 6.30 so I knew we would be side by side all the way. I was .019 to his .024, and when we hit the finish line I could not tell who get there first it was that close. Turns out, he did by .001. I'm not sure why, but my car slowed down to a 6.327.
    It wasnt the outcome I was looking for, but all in all it wasnt a bad. Well, other than the float sticking on my generator after second time run causing a mild panic, but that's another story. LOL

• Dennis112
    replied
    Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
    Well the coming weekend forecast doesnít look too promising for Farmington or Beaver Springs this week. I hope if Farmington is rescheduled it isnít the following weekend. Grrrrr
    +1

Even the non-racing gardeners around here are sick of rain.

I'll be at the Beaver for the Friday night street races but am seriously considering driving home afterwards instead of waiting to see if the rains will wipe out the first Prostick race on Saturday. I normally camp out for 3 days of racing. Sunday doesn't look good at all so I'm already planning to skip it. Big Sigh . . . .

Leave a comment:

• Tater351C
    replied
    Well the coming weekend forecast doesnít look too promising for Farmington or Beaver Springs this week. I hope if Farmington is rescheduled it isnít the following weekend. Grrrrr

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Well it was brought to my attention that it may just be "over full". It is really hard to see that fluid on the dipstick. I figured it was worth a shot so I drained some out, then filled it back to where it looks like it is in the middle between the marks. Like I said, tuff to see. But so far, once again, it doesnt appear to be leaking. I'll know for sure tomorrow.
    I think the biggest problem with saturday at this point is the forecast.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
    $800 aftermarket case and it still uses the junk factory press in fill tube.
    THAT KINDA CRAP JUST FROSTS MY NIBBLETS!!! GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Tater351C
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
    D@mn that's a huge payout for the car count.
    Yes it is a huge payout!!! Bull called me this evening and was giving me the run down on payouts and I was like ďdamn hopefully you bring some cash up the road with us!Ē Almost makes me wanna throw my hat in the ring but just not happening this year. I wish our local Pro Stick group didnít schedule the first race of the season the same as the big Gear Jammers Race. But I guess it is what it is. Lol. Hey Rob, thatís sucks on the trans leak. Hopefully itíll be an easy fix for you.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Oh, and it's still leaking around the fill tube. $800 aftermarket case and it still uses the junk factory press in fill tube.
    Looks like tomorrow after work I get to pull the mount loose and drop it down as far as it will go to try and get a better look at it.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    And that's not even taking in to consideration that they run a second chance race for all first round losers that pays $1500 to win.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    D@mn that's a huge payout for the car count.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Yeah, that stick shift race is a big deal. I was looking at the flyer on Facebook, and it has a ton of sponsors.

Leave a comment:

• Tater351C
    replied
    Glad to hear your making progress! Hopefully Mother Nature cooperates for next Saturday. Iím really looking forward to riding down and checking out a new track. I think the purse for the Stick race is around 18k with 5k going to the winner. Last year it drew 64 cars if I remember right.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    I may have fixed it. It was leaking around the fill tube. KK's brother gave me this really cool grommet to use instead of an O ring, but I could not for the life of me get the fill tube in to that grommet. So I pulled it out, and stuck an O ring on the tube, and even then it didnt want to go in. I literally had to smack it with a hammer to get it in to place. That must not have been too good on the O ring. LOL
    Anyways, I RTV'ed the hell out of it, and it doesnt appear to be leaking now. I will say this, so far I am digging that new starter. Man that thing spins over better than it ever has.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    And that's how that goes. LOL
    I ran to town to pick up some oil and a filter, got home, dropped the stuff off by the car, poked my head under just to check on any leaks, and there's a big ole puddle of transmission fluid under it.
    Well crap.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Thanks!
    It runs, had one little leak around the pan gasket when it first started, but it stopped after it run a couple of minutes.
    Everything works; transbrake, low gear, high gear, reverse and park. Now to change the oil, clean it up a little, and it will be ready to go for next saturday.
    Once I looked at it before I started it today, I decided I didnt like the way the started was clocked. I pulled it off, reclocked it, then had to fool around until I found a route that I "didnt hate" for the starter cable.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna try and go for sure, unless everything floats away. I should have the car done today. I need to go over everything again just to make sure, but I think it's ready for fluid and to be fired up to check for leaks.
    Wishing you a leak-free 'sound check', KV!!

Ryan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X