Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kid vishus
    started a topic Racing updates

Racing updates

Since my previous thread had turned in to a novel and was not focused primarily on the racing aspect, I figured I would start a new topic to leave some not so thrilling updates in.

Last weekend, there was a 3 day race at Rockingham. Since we had plans on saturday, I took friday off work and made my first trip ever to 'The Rock'.
    First pass, the car spun. Everyone was spinning. One guy about 4 pairs in front of me spun so hard he turned it clear around on the track. Luckily he never hit anything. I had thought the car was going to go 6.28, but it only managed a 6.31.
    Second time run I turned the 2 step down, let the tires down, and softened the rear shocks up. It hooked a lot better (I'm sure the track got better too as it got heat in it and more cars went down it), and the car went 6.286 and I had a .013 bulb. Cool, I'm all set to go some rounds and bring home the big check.
    I filled the cell back up, and as I was walking around the car I noticed a leak. Uh oh, where's that coming from. I poked my head under the car and saw fuel running out around the fitting in the bottom of my fuel pump. Dang, hopefully it's just loose. I grabbed a wrench, reached under there.....and nope, it's tight. I stuck my head under there to get a good luck and saw a crack in the middle of the 90* bend (tube type fitting.) I pulled it off, dumping 3 gallons of alchy on the ground since I didnt have a way to cap it or capture the fuel, and went trailer to trailer hoping someone would have a spare with them. Since it was an oddball, I was out of luck. I went to the tower, got part of my money back, and came home. I fixed it the very next day. I changed it up some and completely removed the filter from the inlet line.

Yesterday, went to the track again to get some seat time and try to change my luck before the big money races coming up in November.
    Once again, I guessed the car would go 6.28 off the trailer. It went 6.291 and I was -.001 at the tree. Cool. I stuck a little time in the box, and like a dummy raised the shift point to see if the car would like that. The shift point ended up being too close to the hi end rev limter and it actually hit that chip about the same time it tried to shift, so it slowed down a touch and went 6.33 with a .013 light.
    I swapped the shift chip out, dialed it 6.30, and rolled up for first round. My light was not good, his was horrible. I drove around him, whacked it 3 times killing 4 mph and got the W going 6.330. I figured wide open it would have gone 6.310 or so. I left the 6.30 on it, went up for second round, ran it out wide open and went 6.309 and got the W. My light was a touch better but still not where I wanted it, so I took some time out of the box, left the 6.30 on the window and went back up for third round. I got lined up with car dialed 6.24 to my 6.30 so I knew we would be side by side all the way. I was .019 to his .024, and when we hit the finish line I could not tell who get there first it was that close. Turns out, he did by .001. I'm not sure why, but my car slowed down to a 6.327.
    It wasnt the outcome I was looking for, but all in all it wasnt a bad. Well, other than the float sticking on my generator after second time run causing a mild panic, but that's another story. LOL

• kid vishus
    replied
    One of the tracks actually starts next weekend. Test n tune and flea market on saturday, "free" race on sunday (free with gate fee). I'm actually thinking if the weather looks decent and I can get those last few things done in time (busy week for me coming up), I would like to go on saturday.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    When do the tracks open up around you? Sounds like you're dang near ready!

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Made some progress this weekend. I had removed my steering wheel so I could install a couple of new switches. I wanted to put a bump down switch on, plus slightly change the location of my primary switch as well as install a different type of switch. Once I got the wheel off I realized how crappy it looked. That meant, I ended up sanding it and then shooting some black paint on it. It's not show quality, but it looks better than it did. I got the switches installed (after fabbing up a bracket for the bump down), got the wheel back on, but still need to hook up the primary switch and buy a stretch cord for the bump down.
    I also ran valve lash, put new gaskets on, and got the valve covers installed.
    Other than putting the belt drive pump on and the associated hoses, the car is in a race-able form right now.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Sounds good Rob

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Originally posted by kid vishus View Post

NICE!!!

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• SteveLaRiviere
    replied
    Sounds badass!

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied

old cam;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnyMHgKQ7PM

new cam;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vZdyo3 ... e=youtu.be

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    I fired it up today. Set the timing and checked for leaks. I still need to check lash again and put some new valve cover gaskets on it, but it sounds pretty danged good, even on the primer system. I bet it's gonna sound killer when I get some alchy in it.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    I bought a Mr Gasket pump. I figured it was a couple dollars more than a chinese model from someplace I had never heard of, and I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, since it is owned by Holley, their quality control may be a touch better. It "looks" like a nice piece, but I wont know until I see how long it lasts, and how well it actually works.
    I got it installed yesterday, wired up, but I need to run to the parts store and get a couple of new hose clamps for the lower radiator hose. Then the motor should be ready to fire up, set the timing, check all the valve lash, and that part will then be ready to hit the track.
    I want to slightly alter where I have my transbrake switch mounted plus change the switch, and I also want to add a bump down switch for this year.
    At some point this year I want to put some roller spring perches on the front of the car as well as some double adjustable shocks, but those arent a necessity for me to go racing, so they can wait.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    I've decided I'm just gonna order a cheap Chinese electric water pump for it. It should be able to get me thru the year, and who knows, it may last longer than I am expecting. I just cant justify spending $340 or more for one that is made in the USA, when all of their parts are probably chinese in the first place, especially when a chinese pump is going to cost me around $170.
    I figure the chinese pump will bolt right up where the old CSI pump was and my hose will work, and I wont have to reconfigure anything. It's the easiest solution.

Leave a comment:

• Tater351C
    replied
    Hey Rob, I can relate to your situation. I'm going thru the typical car stuff in relation to changing one thing and having to change three other things for everything to work.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Ya, probably overthinking it after an incident last spring. I pitched a belt when the engine hit the limited after I late shifted from 4th - 5th. It grabbed something on my dampner and slapped the hose hard enough to put a cut in it. Thankfully it wasn't bad enough to get water on the track but I did need a pull back to the pits. Couldn't imagine if that happened and ripped right thru a hose in the center of the belt.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post

Hope you never pitch a belt with it ran like that
    My '93 SuperCoupe came from the factory with the lower radiator hose ran that way.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Originally posted by astikhossw View Post
    This is what I had to do get the hose through my alternator belt.
    Hope you never pitch a belt with it ran like that

Leave a comment:

Working...
X