Brought to you by:

Twenty Years!
The best source of parts, bar none!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racing updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kid vishus
    started a topic Racing updates

Racing updates

Since my previous thread had turned in to a novel and was not focused primarily on the racing aspect, I figured I would start a new topic to leave some not so thrilling updates in.

Last weekend, there was a 3 day race at Rockingham. Since we had plans on saturday, I took friday off work and made my first trip ever to 'The Rock'.
    First pass, the car spun. Everyone was spinning. One guy about 4 pairs in front of me spun so hard he turned it clear around on the track. Luckily he never hit anything. I had thought the car was going to go 6.28, but it only managed a 6.31.
    Second time run I turned the 2 step down, let the tires down, and softened the rear shocks up. It hooked a lot better (I'm sure the track got better too as it got heat in it and more cars went down it), and the car went 6.286 and I had a .013 bulb. Cool, I'm all set to go some rounds and bring home the big check.
    I filled the cell back up, and as I was walking around the car I noticed a leak. Uh oh, where's that coming from. I poked my head under the car and saw fuel running out around the fitting in the bottom of my fuel pump. Dang, hopefully it's just loose. I grabbed a wrench, reached under there.....and nope, it's tight. I stuck my head under there to get a good luck and saw a crack in the middle of the 90* bend (tube type fitting.) I pulled it off, dumping 3 gallons of alchy on the ground since I didnt have a way to cap it or capture the fuel, and went trailer to trailer hoping someone would have a spare with them. Since it was an oddball, I was out of luck. I went to the tower, got part of my money back, and came home. I fixed it the very next day. I changed it up some and completely removed the filter from the inlet line.

Yesterday, went to the track again to get some seat time and try to change my luck before the big money races coming up in November.
    Once again, I guessed the car would go 6.28 off the trailer. It went 6.291 and I was -.001 at the tree. Cool. I stuck a little time in the box, and like a dummy raised the shift point to see if the car would like that. The shift point ended up being too close to the hi end rev limter and it actually hit that chip about the same time it tried to shift, so it slowed down a touch and went 6.33 with a .013 light.
    I swapped the shift chip out, dialed it 6.30, and rolled up for first round. My light was not good, his was horrible. I drove around him, whacked it 3 times killing 4 mph and got the W going 6.330. I figured wide open it would have gone 6.310 or so. I left the 6.30 on it, went up for second round, ran it out wide open and went 6.309 and got the W. My light was a touch better but still not where I wanted it, so I took some time out of the box, left the 6.30 on the window and went back up for third round. I got lined up with car dialed 6.24 to my 6.30 so I knew we would be side by side all the way. I was .019 to his .024, and when we hit the finish line I could not tell who get there first it was that close. Turns out, he did by .001. I'm not sure why, but my car slowed down to a 6.327.
    It wasnt the outcome I was looking for, but all in all it wasnt a bad. Well, other than the float sticking on my generator after second time run causing a mild panic, but that's another story. LOL

• kid vishus
    replied
    I'm not going. It's supposed to be upper mid 50s and mostly sunny, but I took some stuff apart after I started it. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
    They are running a "free" race tomorrow (pay spectator fee to get in and race for free), but man, I'm not sure I have much desire to actually go. I did uncover the car today and fire it up. It actually started fairly easily considering it hadnt been started since November.
    What's the weather going to be like there? Being a RACER is always better than being a RACE FAN.......

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    They are running a "free" race tomorrow (pay spectator fee to get in and race for free), but man, I'm not sure I have much desire to actually go. I did uncover the car today and fire it up. It actually started fairly easily considering it hadnt been started since November.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Pretty good chance of rain today, and it's only supposed to get up to the upper 50s, so I decided to stay home. I'm just not "feeling" it yet to actually go racing.
    I started KK's car last week and let it run until it got good and warmed up. Man, that thing sure sounds better than a 6.50 car.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Heck of a lot cheaper than a new box.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    $111 with shipping to replace the keypad and send it back to me. I'll have it Monday.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    It's an old Biondo /Digital Delay Mega 400. It has a lot of features I dont use, but I do like it has a bump down feature and built in practice tree.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Be cool to enter that 5k and start off the year on (hopefully) a great note! Whoís box do you run?

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    So there is a 5 grand to win race the first weekend in March I kind of want to run. The problem is, I dont think I can get the 393 together, in the car, and one test n tune under my belt before then. Right now I am leaning towards leaving the Blow-By Extraordinaire motor in the car to run that race. It was consistent that last time out, and it would be nice to start the year off possibly winning some money.
    I did pull the delay box out yesterday and sent it back to the manufacturer today to get the key pad repaired. I had two numbers that stopped working that last weekend.

Leave a comment:

• ford84stepside
    replied
    Good judgement right there Rob. Lots better to find out now how they fit instead of finding out at 7000 rpm !

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    Got a little done this weekend. Gathered parts parts up, cleaned the heads up a little and got ready to lay some epoxy, but most notably this; rods and pistons are in, cam and timing gear are also in/on.
    I need to get one of the iron heads put back together and then I'm going to slap it on and make sure these pistons have enough clearance to use the custom Lykin's Motorsport cam I ran last year. I am positive they will, but I want to check just to make sure anyways.

Leave a comment:

• kid vishus
    replied
    The shop I used for the heads on the 377 (when I couldnt get the other's back from the other shop), they actually WANT work and dont push stuff off in to the corner to work on other stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Tater351C
    replied
    Thatís cool that Alex pointed you in a good direction with good people. Alex was a good guy and those types seem to be going by the way side lately.

Leave a comment:

• Tater351C
    replied
    I feel your pain Rob. The local machine shop here that bled ford blue for decades went thru similar issues. So I went the next best route IMHO and let me say Iím pretty disappointed so far. Iím starting to think most machine shops around here are like body/paint shops and your at their mercy. Even though I put a decent cash deposit down and had supplied 90% of the parts which were Nib. Things sadly just arenít like they were 20-30 years ago for sure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X