Brought to you in part by:
Twelve Years!

Eighteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dart SHP Block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dart SHP Block

Does anyone know if the Canton 15-610 standard front sump pan fits on the 8.2 Dart SHP block?
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle - Built Not Bought!
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Strip 10.44 @ 125.97

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle - 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 97

I have no first hand experience, wish I did. Your best bet might be to call Dart and ask them.
    According to their literature it sounds like it should fit, but.....we all know how that works in the real world.
    Rob Hetzler
    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I'll give them a call. I would think the four bolt caps would be the spot where they might hit the pan rail.

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
        I'll give them a call. I would think the four bolt caps would be the spot where they might hit the pan rail.
        Probably a non-issue since the SHP only has 4 bolt caps on the 3 center mains. IMHO, Its when the outer caps have 4 bolts that stock rail pans become an issue. (I can use a factory stock pan on my 9.5 deck SHP which is laid out similarly.) A call will certainly confirm though.
        Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Makes sense, thanks Dennis. How do you like your Braswell? I'm going to need a slightly larger carb (850 possible 950). I've had great results on the last couple engines I built with Quick Fuel Q series but always like trying new stuff.

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Dart says shouldn't be a problem at all. Perfect!

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Makes sense, thanks Dennis. How do you like your Braswell? I'm going to need a slightly larger carb (850 possible 950). I've had great results on the last couple engines I built with Quick Fuel Q series but always like trying new stuff.
              The Braswell has worked great for me and I am very pleased with it. I originally had a Holley 950hp (830cfm) on it. The Braswell was good for over 3 tenths more in the 1/4--in 90* humid summer heat. That was a back to back comparison.

Before I bought the Braswell I tried a new Quick Fuel 850cfm but couldn't get it to perform any better than the 7 year old 950HP. Braswell does not rate there carbs by cfm but because of the venturi bore mine works out to 1000-1050cfm. My Braswell uses a QF labeled main body but everything else is created by Braswell (it was purchased new from Braswell this way.) It came in @ $950 vs the $1400 or so if would have been if it was 100% Braswell.

Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

3 tenths from a carb swap....that's simply amazing. It's not like the other carb was out to lunch either.

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

3 tenths from a carb swap....that's simply amazing. It's not like the other carb was out to lunch either.
                  Correct--Initially I couldn't believe the timeslips but the larger carb did make a huge difference once it was properly jetted. Duane Bush, who ported/flowed my intake and heads, specified that I use a carb with 1.45-1.50" venturies. IIRC the 950hp uses 1.37" venturies so it was undersized for my combo. The Braswell has 1.48" venturies so it hit the target.

Most people look at carb CFM's but Duane talks venturi size instead. He also ball parked the cam around this combo (Mark at Bullet modified it some) plus Duane also spec'ed the header and collector diameters. In the end he put me exactly where I wanted to be performance-wise with my heavy street car.
                  Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

Comment

I think Mark at Bullet forgot more about cams today, than I have learned in a lifetime. I have ordered custom cams from a few different companies but he is the first to ask my installed height before all else and then design from there. Then take the time to tell you why and help you understand how it all comes together. How long did you stay on the phone with him? lol

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

I picked up almost 3 tenths in the 1/8th from a carb swap years and years ago, but the original carb was no where close to being correct for the application. I was running a 4v headed cleveland (big surprise), and was running a 750 annular discharge DP on it. It worked fine, but it just wasnt very fast. We bolted an out of the box 950HP on it (shortly after they released them), and it picked up almost 3 tenths.
                      I talked with some carb shops afterwords, and they all said the annular boosters are great for throttle response, absolutely horrible for airflow.
                      Rob Hetzler
                      M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                      Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I think Mark at Bullet forgot more about cams today, than I have learned in a lifetime. I have ordered custom cams from a few different companies but he is the first to ask my installed height before all else and then design from there. Then take the time to tell you why and help you understand how it all comes together. How long did you stay on the phone with him? lol
                        There's no doubt in my mind that Mark knows his stuff. I've always enjoyed our conversations and have learned a lot from him.
                        Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

Comment

Now I understand how you guys are picking up that kind of ET with a carb swap. It sounds like both where undersized by quit a bit. Bet great throttle response on the small carbs though. I am fortunate that my buddy, who lives 3 miles down the road, has a Superflo 901. Between the two of us we have quit a few carbs sizes including 4150 and 4500 stuff. So aside from minor jetting changes, we can figure out what the engine wants before going into the car. Of course those d@mn dyno's can be a terrible thing as well. The last two I built (383 Chebby and 427 SBF) got brought back home for cam changes (Not Bullet) and the 383 for an intake before heading back. Calibrated correctly, those things are way to honest, lol.

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post

I talked with some carb shops afterwords, and they all said the annular boosters are great for throttle response, absolutely horrible for airflow.

Interesting.... thanks for the info

Current CI Count - 97

Comment

Working...
                            X