Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost ready for the dyno!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost ready for the dyno!

Well, it's been a while in the making gathering parts but my new/old bullet is about ready for the dyno. I was getting worried about pushing my trusty stock block'd 347 for so long and finally upgraded to a Dart SHP block and a little more cubes (363). After building a few of these now (pretending I'm learning things) and with some great help from Mark at Bullet and my head guy, Chad Speier, I think it should pick up a descent amount. The intake valves where shot in my heads so Chad installed 2.08 Ferreas in place of the 2.02s and changed the port a bit to go with bigger 1262R gaskets. The intake is also going from a port matched Victor Jr to a ported Super Vic so it should move quit a bit more air. To take advantage of that and to bring the power band up Mark added about 20 degrees of duration and also maxed out the available lift with my installed height, going from .640 lift to .734. The other big change I made was to take advantage of my vacuum pump so the Diamond pistons are fitted with thin 1mm,1mm,2mm low tension rings. My old 347 made 502hp @7,000, can't wait to see what this giant pump gas 363 makes. Should be tearing up the back roads soon if it ever quits snowing
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Sounds like a rowdy mill, what do you think your new engine will put out?
    '70 Mach 1 - '72 Sprint - '94 F-150 XL -'97 E-150 - '05 Sable LS
    My Mach's restoration progress
    My Sprint's restoration progress
    ”Mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent.” ~ Adam Smith

Comment

My buddies dyno (SF901) is very conservative which pi$$es a guy off when leaving but I'd rather have an honest number than a blown up mail order number that doesn't meet expectations at the track. If things go as planned I would guess 560ish @7,800 but who knows...... I was hoping a bit higher for peak hp but Mark @ Bullet doesn't think there is enough compression to support it. It ended up measuring @ 11.4:1 and he assures me with the cam bleeding off pressure it will still run on 93 pump gas. I got the quench nice and tight so that should help as well.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

560hp would be very respectable with that pump gas mill. If more was available, you can bet that Mark would have set you up with it. He has been very good on the stuff that I have built.
        Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Well....... finally ran the 363. We tried two weeks ago but we had a timing issue and I wanted to grab a little thicker oil, pressure was a touch low once it got hot. The engine sealed up great. I ended up backing off the control valve on the vacuum pump a ton and it kept a nice steady 10" thru the whole pull. We stared running the engine on Sunoco 110 because of the higher compression but ended up with regular 91 with zero issues. Kind of odd, we had to jet up three sizes for the pump gas? It ended up within 2hp after jetting up and backing off the timing two degeees from the race gas. Love it, no need to bring octane booster for road trips and no need to run $8 a gallon race gas at the track. It ended up making 40 more lbs or torque which kind of sucks but ya, it comes along with wanting more hp . It ended up making 592 @ 7,700 with a nice smooth curve and not dropping off much all of the way to 8k. This puppy loves to rev! After 6,700 it sounds like it changes gears and just screams....love it. Still a few small things to work on after this race season. My QF Q750 was way small so we tried my brothers Q850. It loved it but he wouldn't trade me, lol, so I tired my old Holley 1000 and it picked up 6 more. Not a fan of the carb so eventually going to swap that out. Probably an 850 or 950. The 1000 might be a bit sloppy driving around town. Also, the S Victor didn't fit worth a $hit, having to mill the sides almost 1/4 each just to get it to fit on the engine even though my Victor Jr lined right up. The heads and intake where gasket matched to a 1262R but didn't line up all that well and I had to take a little more out of the floor. I'll have to weld up the roof next winter to smooth out the entry but didn't bother this time around as most of the air flows low on the port anyway. Overall pretty happy with this build
          Last edited by Poppy65; 04-10-2018, 07:50 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Man that sounds like a nice combo! Hope to see a vid or two !
            Mike Gasdick 69 Cougar XR-7 , 14:1 358W Canfield heads, CalTrac's / split mono's, "Mighty Mite" C4 w/trans-brake. 11.31.so far.
            2010 F150, 4.6L 2wd
            2002 F250 Superduty 4x4 with a spark plug spittin', manifold crackin' , fuse box burnin , 5.4 !

Comment

That thing sounds like a beast.

Was the pump gas your typical 10% ethanol blend or straight gas? If it had ethanol in it that's probably why you had to jet up.
              Rob Hetzler
              M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
              Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by Dragcat View Post
                Man that sounds like a nice combo! Hope to see a vid or two !
                After I get the clutch dialed in for the extra torque and get it to launch clean, will get a couple for sure!

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                  That thing sounds like a beast.

Was the pump gas your typical 10% ethanol blend or straight gas? If it had ethanol in it that's probably why you had to jet up.
                  I try to buy non-oxy which is 91 here and was ran at the dyno. They do have 93 octane with the 10% ethanol at some stations but didn't run it. Good point though!

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Just reading thru M&M this morning and saw Alex's thread again. Brought me back to when we where going over things after buying these heads from him. He spec'd a nice SR cam for these, at the time untouched RHS heads and stock block 347. It made 460hp @ 6,400 / 440 tq. As the racer in all of us, I wanted a bit more power and had the heads ported and a new cam ground to take advantage of the new found flow. Power jumped to 502hp @ 7,000 / 430 tq. Now with the same heads but bigger valves, ported S Victor vs victor Jr, more cam and 16 more cubes, made 132 more hp and 32 more lbs of toque with the exact same heads I bought from Alex it seems like ages ago.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Sounds like a BEAST!!!! Should be a blast to drive n race!
                      79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
                      69 Stang Vert
                      69 Stang Coupe
                      92 Stang 5.0 LX
                      other DD's

Comment

Finally got warm enough this weekend to take the car out for a spin. The old Holley 1000 is just not the right carb for this engine. Even after letting the car warm up for 5 minutes it's still a major pig until the temp got up over 120. Even when it got up to the normal 150 it just didn't sounds right cruising or at part throttle. The things insane once you give it a little gas though, the BF Radial T/A's are pretty much worthless in the first four gears. Gonna have to do something about that.

I may just pick up another Quick Fuel Q series carb as we've had great luck with them or maybe give Braswell a try. I see Dennis runs one but I thought maybe Tater does as well? How do you like them? Ball park price? Worth it over an OTB carb?

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                          The old Holley 1000 is just not the right carb for this engine.

I may just pick up another Quick Fuel Q series carb as we've had great luck with them or maybe give Braswell a try. I see Dennis runs one but I thought maybe Tater does as well? How do you like them? Ball park price? Worth it over an OTB carb?
                          The Holley 1000 should be overkill for on the street. That's about what I now run on my 434 (and its still a little much on the street.)

I tried an 850 QF Q and the car with the SBF 427 didn't pick up at all over the old Holley 950HP I had. I tried jetting the Q up for the track but it didn't help. The old trusty 950HP worked much better on the street (they are really real world rated at 830cfm.) The Holley 950hp would probably be real close you what you would want at the track. A Holley 750hp would be better for the street and would also work good at the track. Might loose 20hp over the 950HP at WOT.

The Braswell I have uses a QF throttle body-it came that way from Braswell. Everything else is made by Braswell (throttle base plate, metering blocks, bowls, etc) so you get the good stuff at a cheaper price. Mine was less than $1k delivered which is not too much more than the QF Q or other less expensive custom carbs. Full on Braswell's start at about $1400 and go up from there. At first it didn't perform like I thought it should until I jetted it up to what the motor really wanted. I couldn't believe how much faster it ran in the summer heat.

Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Thanks Dennis. I may give them a call and see what they have to offer. An 850 is really what this engine wanted but my brother wouldn’t cough it up so we went with this 1000. I have a nice Q750 but it really chocked this thing, couldn’t make power up high like it should.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Dennis has a nice looking n working carb. My carb is one that I put together using a 750 Pro Form main body, QFT billet base plate, billet metering bodies and Holley bowls. I’ve thought about getting a 950 carb but that’s as far as I’ve gotten. Can you guys remember back when carbs were reasonable coming? I kinda remember back in the late 1980’s buying a new 750 DP at the local (now closed) speedshop for like $240.
                              79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
                              69 Stang Vert
                              69 Stang Coupe
                              92 Stang 5.0 LX
                              other DD's

Comment

Working...
                              X