Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost ready for the dyno!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANOTHER DAY when we all miss Alex... ...who willingly gave us all pointers and shared his experiences with us all who simply asked......

Originally posted by Dennis112 View Post
    That sounds like a lot of drop during a shift. Your probably using the clutch-are you leaving off the gas too?
    I don't claim to know anything about anything, but, if handed the microphone, I'd have to say I agree that sounds like a lot of RPM drop between shifts.... I seem to recall a 1000 rpm drop between was the norm..... Ideal shifting technique - stab the clutch at gear change but never let up on the accelerator.......

Originally posted by Dennis112 View Post
    Are you running a racing tire in the front or a common street radial? I'd like to see more air there.
    A front racing tire would be much lighter than a street tire too.....

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys! A little more info on the current set-up. The front tires are MT 26x3.5's. I run them low like that to slow down the car reaction. Back when I ran them at 40 - 45psi, I'd red light far to often. This helped a ton. Rob Youngblood set the clutch up and doesn't want it ran down below 4 turns which is 1,160lbs of base. Different clutch design? I actually only had 8.5 turns in it. Started off at 7 instead of 8 like I used to run. That's still 1,820 lbs though. As far as rpm drop. I'll use my GoPro to get a certain answer for you guys. It's tough to watch the tach early in the run and I was shifting at 8,100 and it look'd to drop to the upper 6k zone. It's a five speed so you wouldn't think it would drop much. As far as shift technique Ryan, it's clutchless so if I lifted in any gear but 5th, it would drop into neutral. Balls to the wall!! LOL

Thanks for the suggestions guys, plenty to do on the next trip!
      1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
      347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
      363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - Under Construction

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
      244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Just got off the phone with Rob at Advanced and Dennis, you hit it right on the head....waaaay to much clutch. That and I'm leaving to low. I'll drop the front shock extension all of the way down as suggested and take the clutch down to 4 turns (1160 lbs) with a 6,200 launch. If it doesn't slip the clutch during the run maybe even bring it down more. Don't think I'll mess with rear pressure until I get a handle on the launch then bring it up. As far as front pressure, maybe I can bring that up down the road if the extra clutch slip keeps the lights plenty green. I miss understood Rob on no less than 4 turns. He was down to 1.5 in his stocker with this same clutch so around 700 lbs on a nine inch tire and cutting low 1.30 60's.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Poppy65,
          I suspect you'll be knocking on that sub-10 second door sooner than later!

Ryan

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
            Just got off the phone with Rob at Advanced and Dennis, you hit it right on the head....waaaay to much clutch. That and I'm leaving to low. I'll drop the front shock extension all of the way down as suggested and take the clutch down to 4 turns (1160 lbs) with a 6,200 launch. If it doesn't slip the clutch during the run maybe even bring it down more. Don't think I'll mess with rear pressure until I get a handle on the launch then bring it up. As far as front pressure, maybe I can bring that up down the road if the extra clutch slip keeps the lights plenty green. I miss understood Rob on no less than 4 turns. He was down to 1.5 in his stocker with this same clutch so around 700 lbs on a nine inch tire and cutting low 1.30 60's.
            Glad that you verified your stuff with Rob before pulling out your hair on what to do. Good Luck on your next outing!
            Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Found a video from last year with my old engine before the new front shocks. After installing and tuning those ended up down in the 10.40's

https://youtu.be/JYc1uBAGTsM

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
                Found a video from last year with my old engine before the new front shocks. After installing and tuning those ended up down in the 10.40's

https://youtu.be/JYc1uBAGTsM
                sweet !!!!
                34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Just got caught up on this Thread. A lot of good questions n info in here. Subscribing and good luck on your next outting.
                  79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.56's, tagged street/strip 10.28@129.3
                  69 Stang Vert
                  69 Stang Coupe
                  92 Stang 5.0 LX
                  other DD's

Comment

How much did you gain with the Viking front shocks? I'm still on the fence about ordering a set of DAs for my car.
                    Rob Hetzler
                    M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                    Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                      How much did you gain with the Viking front shocks? I'm still on the fence about ordering a set of DAs for my car.
                      It took the bounce out of the landing and picked up a little more than half a tenth. It's gotta be easier on the front end only coming down once.

Current CI Count - 103

Comment

Thats a good gain for a shock change, in my opinion.
                        Mine probably doesnt stand up as much as yours, so I might not see as much of a gain.
                        Rob Hetzler
                        M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                        Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Working...
                        X