Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost ready for the dyno!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case you guys are interested and are close enough

1K to win American Muscle Pro Stick Race at ESTA Dragway Cicero NY June 17th 1/4 mile action Come see wheel standing gear banging old time Dragracing!!!
    1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
    347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
    363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
    244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
      You guys think I should be running more rear gear?
      What rpm are you actually crossing the traps at (vs your desired max rpm's during a run?)
      Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis112 View Post

What rpm are you actually crossing the traps at (vs your desired max rpm's during a run?)
        7,400 - 7,500 depending on the run. Engine made peak power at 7,700. Should be going across a little over that, not? closer to 8k?

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Comparing slips from last year, the car only picked up a tenth to the 330 and two the the 660. Thatís where I started thinking it was short on gear. Maybe itís in this huge old carb. The Braswell will finally be on for the next race so Iíll wait on gearing even if you guys think it could use it. Only like changing one item at a time.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

7,400 - 7,500 depending on the run. Engine made peak power at 7,700. Should be going across a little over that, not? closer to 8k?
            Yeah, 8K is supposed to be an ideal crossing rpm for that rpm. Try it and you might like it.

I tried using a 4.71 in my junk (similar 7500 shift and crossing at 8100) but I mentally didn't like to hear the motor roar so much so I dropped back to a more comfortable feeling 4.56. That put crossing around 7700-7800. It was easier to get the car to launch consistently too with the less stout gear so that is what I am staying at..
            Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Comparing slips from last year, the car only picked up a tenth to the 330 and two the the 660. Thatís where I started thinking it was short on gear. Maybe itís in this huge old carb. The Braswell will finally be on for the next race so Iíll wait on gearing even if you guys think it could use it. Only like changing one item at a time.
              Agreed. I'd say wait until you've made some passes with the new carb and then see what it is doing......

You're geared with a 4.86 now, correct?
              The next step up would be a 5.00?

When I ran a 5.14, my small 10" slicks could bearly hold coming off the line...and then the motor ran out of wind before the stripe - but my redline was much lower (6800rpms) than yours. I went down to a 4.56 gear set.

Ryan
              Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. - Henry Ford

Comment

Yes it has 4.86s Ryan. I think it would stick if I keep the clutch turned down. Do you think 5.00 would even be worth the time?

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Yes it has 4.86s Ryan. I think it would stick if I keep the clutch turned down. Do you think 5.00 would even be worth the time?
                  Not at this point, Poppy65. As you suggested, one change at a time. You will soon have the new carb on and then see how the hot rod likes it. Then let's re-visit the possibility of a steeper gear set.

Ryan

Comment

Well, the carb show'd up. Nice piece. But, the car is getting the front hoop put in and won't have it back for the race this weekend. Won't have a chance to run it until the big muscle car race July 4th weekend. Can't wait!

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Well, the carb show'd up. Nice piece. Won't have a chance to run it until the big muscle car race July 4th weekend. Can't wait!
                      Tell us more about (remind us) the carb you just got.....

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Wilke View Post

Tell us more about (remind us) the carb you just got.....

Ryan
                        Braswell 4825. Dave spec'd it out with a 1.53 venturi and a 1.79 T/B.
                        Last edited by Poppy65; 06-18-2018, 01:31 PM.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

FWIW I think that carb will be a real noticeable difference on the positive side! Dennisí old 4.71ís are currently working ok with my low engine hp combo. With looking at our schedule and 1/8 tracks compared to 1/4 mile ones Iím thinking about maybe doing another 3rd chunk with some lower gears but weíll see.
                          79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
                          69 Stang Vert
                          69 Stang Coupe
                          92 Stang 5.0 LX
                          other DD's

Comment

That's the beauty of the 9" isn't it? Ya, they take a bit more power than a 12 bolt but a gear swap takes less than an hour. I used to swap between a 3.55 setup for the street and a 4.56 setup for the track.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Well, the weather was absolutely horrible Friday. Mid 90's, water grains in the million range and a DA of 5,200, the highest I've ever seen on our weather station. Car went out an ran 10.30 @ 129 and was a little pissed that it ran so slow with the new carb, but the weather did suck. Forgot to bring my wideband so just kept an eye on the plugs. They looked the same as usual. Ran one more an went the exact same number. Decided to swap back to my old carb just to compare apples to apples. Pretty much the same air as the previous runs, it went 10.47 @ 127. Excellent, it was worth the change. Got down to three cars yesterday before going red. SIL got down to six cars racing my brothers Monte without spray so all in all it was a fun but warm weekend.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Good testing results on the carbs! Sounds like good difference between the two. Bring on the cooler Fall air already. Lol
                                79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
                                69 Stang Vert
                                69 Stang Coupe
                                92 Stang 5.0 LX
                                other DD's

Comment

Working...
                                X