Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost ready for the dyno!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
    In case you guys are interested and are close enough

1K to win American Muscle Pro Stick Race at ESTA Dragway Cicero NY June 17th 1/4 mile action Come see wheel standing gear banging old time Dragracing!!!
    Iím 99% sure that one of our regular Pro Stick racers from NY won the race above. He also Won this past weekends race at South Mountain Dragway in Pa. Real nice guy who loves to race.
    79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
    69 Stang Vert
    69 Stang Coupe
    92 Stang 5.0 LX
    other DD's

Comment

Well, the weather was absolutely horrible Friday. Mid 90's, water grains in the million range and a DA of 5,200, the highest I've ever seen on our weather station. Car went out an ran 10.30 @ 129 and was a little pissed that it ran so slow with the new carb, but the weather did suck. Forgot to bring my wideband so just kept an eye on the plugs. They looked the same as usual. Ran one more an went the exact same number. Decided to swap back to my old carb just to compare apples to apples. Pretty much the same air as the previous runs, it went 10.47 @ 127. Excellent, it was worth the change. Got down to three cars yesterday before going red. SIL got down to six cars racing my brothers Monte without spray so all in all it was a fun but warm weekend.
      2 mph is a substantial HP gain for the new carb considering the heat. The car responded nicely with an appropriate drop in ET. Guessing it was worth 35-40 hp in the 1/4-what's not to love about that? As Tater mentioned you'll certainly gain quite a bit more in good weather, especially in the spring and the fall. Good Job!
      Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Next major move for the project is getting rid of some weight. The car got pretty heavy on me this year. Between the Dart block, the Global West tubular export brace and adding the rest of the pipe to make it a full 10 point cage, it added a full hundred pounds to the car . The full exhaust can easily be taken on and off but I have slip tube collectors and would have to put a 1" weld on each primary or pay for a tether connector. May wait and do that this winter as I have to pull the headers to take off the bell housing anyway. That would take close to 50 lbs out of the car so a good start.

Do you guys think is would be worth the time/ money to make a small change in the rear gear? With the 4.86's it is going thru the traps at 7,500 so just bit short of peak. Like Dennis mentioned earlier, ideal would be around 8,000. Would you guys make the change?
        1965 Poppy Red Three Peddle Gear Banger
        347 Stock Block Pump Gas Street/Strip 10.44 @ 125.97 Old Combo
        363 Dart Block Pump Gas Street/Strip - 10.11 @ 133.17 so far

2005 Torch Red Topless Three Peddle 12 valve Monster
        244 Stock Block Pump Gas Street /Street Much Slower

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

On changing the rear gear I wonder what difference itíll be with the same gear but with good air?
          79 Stang, full cage,mini-tubbed,396"W,G-Force G-101 4 spd,4.71’s, tagged street/strip 10.215@131.3
          69 Stang Vert
          69 Stang Coupe
          92 Stang 5.0 LX
          other DD's

Comment

Originally posted by Tater351C View Post
            On changing the rear gear I wonder what difference itíll be with the same gear but with good air?
            Tater makes a good point.

Also your eventual lightening of the car will allow the motor to get more work done in a shorter amount of time (and thus increase rpm's at the stripe.) Your 60's should show a small improvement too. Removing as much as you can (especially in front of the driver's seat) is a no/low cost mod that gives real world benefits. My neighbor with a prostock car even cuts off the additional length of threads beyond the nuts long bolts that are too long. The first time he did it his car lost 3lbs which may not sound significant but every bit gets his turbo 4 cylinder car closer to his goals of running 7 flat in the 1/4.

The general rule of thumb is that every 100lbs loss is worth a tenth in the quarter.

Unfortunately I don't heed this advice very well as I prefer my car to look like it just came off the street. To that end I've retained the full interior (with radio, heater, etc) and run heavy factory type steel wheels on all 4 corners. She's a heavy pig but still knocks off high 9's/low 10's in the quarter.
            Last edited by Dennis112; 07-06-2018, 05:29 AM.
            Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

434W NA, Victor Heads, Super Vic Intake, Bullet SR, Braswell Carb, 11.2:1, Gforce 4 Spd, 4:33, 93 Octane Pump Gas pushing 3550lbs. 9.91@135.56

Comment

Yes it has 4.86s Ryan. I think it would stick if I keep the clutch turned down. Do you think 5.00 would even be worth the time?
              I ran a 5.00 for awhile in my previous car. When I swapped it out to a 4.86 for the simple fact it was a cheaper gear set, I bet it didnt change the finish line by much more than a 100 rpm in my junk. Granted that was with a c4, but the car was 3500 lbs and running 10.80s at the time and ran exactly the same with both gears. I just went from a 4.86 to a 5.29 in my current car to try and get a little more finish line rpm. And honestly, I havent looked to see what it gained me.
              To me, only changing rear gear ratios a couple of points isnt worth it. And with your car already turning 7500 in crappy air, like Tater said, what's it going to do in the fall when the air is a lot better? I bet it will pick up a couple hundred rpm just from the air alone. If you end up removing some weight, that too will gain some more rpm.
              Rob Hetzler
              M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
              Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post

To me, only changing rear gear ratios a couple of points isnt worth it.
                This is exactly what I was wondering/ asking and you reaffirmed my thoughts, thanks!

You guys brought up a great point I didn't think of. Of course the car will run faster in the good air, but I never thought about the rpm increase due to that at the stripe. I will wait until fall and see what it crosses at.

Unfortunately I already did the easy stuff on the car for weight savings. Glass hood, light four corner discs, wheels, and use of aluminum when possible. Now it time to really pick the car apart. I'd like to do Kirkey seats but I need the folding option so the kids can get in the back, while they still can. With the bars in the car, I also have five point harness's in back for them so there's another probably 10 lbs. They love going for a cruise in the spring and fall so until they get tired of it, that stuff will need to stay. It still has a full interior and will stay that way aside from removing the heater and windshield wiper garbage.

Here's my end goal with the car. My buddies run the local divisional and national event stuff and even though it won't be the most competitive car out there, I'd like to join them in the fun from time to time. There are a couple stick guys that run Super Gas around here and actually do fairly well at it. One made the semi's at the national event here last year. So in the end I'd like to have a little pump gas 8.2 deck SBF that run's 9.90 in 75 - 80 degree weather and still be able to take the kids out for ice cream in the spring and fall. Not to hard to accomplish, right?

Thanks for the help guys! With your help I think, no, I know it will happen!

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

I think your biggest obstacle will be getting the car to cut a good lite on a 4 tenths pro tree to be competitive in Super Gas.
                  Rob Hetzler
                  M&M member since Oct 2000, #773
                  Roxboro Dragway 2011 Top ET champion

My Photo Page

Comment

I agree with Rob that the gear change isn't worth it. Not much to gain there as you are already close.

What's your race weight? Repeatable 9.90's during the race season will be a lofty goal unless you can get your race weight under 3000lbs. Otherwise you'll need to find some more HP. A small 75-100 shot of giggly juice should get you there.
                    Dennis

65' STANG Street/Strip

Comment

Originally posted by kid vishus View Post
                      I think your biggest obstacle will be getting the car to cut a good lite on a 4 tenths pro tree to be competitive in Super Gas.
                      24" skinnies, tighten up the clutch set-up and 8k launches FTW!

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Getting closer and closer. Got it down to low 10 teens this weekend with weather in the high 80's - low 90's. Went a few rounds Saturday so very happy with the progress. Don't have enough accurate data with making so many changes to the car and missed my dial. I was 3 hundy off when the track got real hot and my opponent ran his number with a 2. Not going to cut it in Pro but still made good progress. I think I may have slightly glazed the clutch so after our next race it will come apart to get cleaned up. Even with quit a bit of base and the tires up to 12 psi, it won't spin the tire leaving at 6,300. We only get one time trial each day so I don't want to add more tire pressure, take a chance of blowing the tires off, and not get a good number to race with.
                        To get the can off in my car I have to pull the driver side header. Well, may as well pull both and put a 1" weld on each primary so I can take the exhaust system off when at the track. That will save almost 50 lbs and get it closer to 3,000 where it used to be.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Sounds like you had a good track outting and running great for the temps! On your headers do your collectors slide on to each individual tube? Is that where your saying to weld a 1 inch bead? Mine are Hooker 2 inch with 3 1/2 inch collectors. Only one tube on each side slips out of the collectors. When using mufflers I have a Flowmaster slip-on fitting over the end of the collectors. I welded 4 small metal tabs on each side of the collector and slip-on connection side for the mufflers so they overlapped and bolted together with a 1/4-20 bolt. Makes it easy for removal and install of mufflers. Your probably familiar but Iím not quite understanding and figured Iíd throw it out there.
                          69 Stang Vert
                          69 Stang Coupe
                          92 Stang 5.0 LX
                          other DD's

Comment

Each tube slides into the collector. To be NHRA legal, I would either need to put the 1" weld on each tube or install a stupid collector teether. Unless...you run a full exhaust like I do currently.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

Well....that didn't go as planned.
                              Weather was pretty dang nice for a change. Upper 70's with humidity around 45%, 2,400 DA. First pass out ran a 10.12 and it spun pretty good with the steeper gears. Went back and took a half turn out of the clutch. Go back up and ran a 10.23, what the hell. Went back and dialed the two step back from 6,300 to 6,000. Went back up and ran a 10.26 . Keep in mind the engine was sounding great and the mph didn't change .2 between all three passes. I was at the track by myself so I couldn't verify the car was spinning, it didn't feel like it but my 60' kept climbing so I figured it had to be. Fourth pass it left good and around 1,000' out I grenade'd the engine. Punched a hole in the pan but thank God didn't get anything under the tires. After draining the pan later, only about two / three quarts puked out on the shut down area. We pulled the car onto the back ramp of the trailer to inspect but could see much thru the hole as the windage tray is in the way. Pan is pretty beat up and actually broke loose from the block toward the rear of the pass side. Best guess is a rod let go and took the one on the same journal with it. Drained the oil, thankfully no water so I hope the block isn't hurt to bad. No chunks in the oil just a fair amount of fine copper in it so I'd guess it was eating a bearing? Just changed the oil prior to last weekend, it looked good so I didn't bother to cut open the filter, maybe should have.
                              Also a little back story that I'm sure caused this. A couple races ago the car would get a slight vibration thru the shifter in high gear but would go away a couple hundred feet from the stripe. I thought may be chipped tooth on the rear end but it didn't go away after I changed to 5.14s and the .86s looked good anyway. It was getting worse before the engine came apart but the pressure looked good and I was still crossing well below 8k rpm. Even thought the mph stayed the same for the first three passes it was down a bit, in the 130.7 range. Any way, I hope to have it apart within the next couple days to access the damage further. Sucks, only about 40 passes and 100 street miles on the engine.

Current CI Count - 104

Comment

that sux !!!! hope you can get it back together soon....................

Keith
                                34 FORD coupe...Cleveland POWERED https://mustangsandmore.vbulletin.ne...ilies/cool.png

it`s nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                                X