Brought to you in part by:
Thirteen Years!

Nineteen Years!

Click here to see a list of our Supporters.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost ready for the dyno!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poppy65
    started a topic Almost ready for the dyno!

Almost ready for the dyno!

Well, it's been a while in the making gathering parts but my new/old bullet is about ready for the dyno. I was getting worried about pushing my trusty stock block'd 347 for so long and finally upgraded to a Dart SHP block and a little more cubes (363). After building a few of these now (pretending I'm learning things) and with some great help from Mark at Bullet and my head guy, Chad Speier, I think it should pick up a descent amount. The intake valves where shot in my heads so Chad installed 2.08 Ferreas in place of the 2.02s and changed the port a bit to go with bigger 1262R gaskets. The intake is also going from a port matched Victor Jr to a ported Super Vic so it should move quit a bit more air. To take advantage of that and to bring the power band up Mark added about 20 degrees of duration and also maxed out the available lift with my installed height, going from .640 lift to .734. The other big change I made was to take advantage of my vacuum pump so the Diamond pistons are fitted with thin 1mm,1mm,2mm low tension rings. My old 347 made 502hp @7,000, can't wait to see what this giant pump gas 363 makes. Should be tearing up the back roads soon if it ever quits snowing

• Poppy65
    replied
    Ya! The block is sleeved and looks great. Received the new pistons today and brought them over the machinest to set proper clearance. Went with the next shelf size, from a 4.125 bore to a mighty 4.155 lol. Possibly could have ordered a custom but the other cylinders needed some attention and there is still room to go at least another .030 in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Had fun but kinda sucked at the same time, lol. Didn't get to race Saturday. It was to cold in the AM so to pass time and hope it would warm up, the track thru a scooter/golf cart race. Made it thru time trials, had a killer pass in the Ezgo and it started to snow! Went red in the third round to a stupid Club Car. Out $10 but had a blast!

Sunday, race day! Finally the track got up over 50 after the track dryers spent a couple hours on it but they only let us run 1/8 mile. Never raced this car before so was making some test hits in an undisclosed location. With traction control on and dumping the clutch at 3,000, it would pull away nice actually driving thru the TC. Finally ready to run!

We only get one time trial so had to make it count. Pull up, stage, brought it up to 3k and dumped on the last yellow. Car left but felt like it stalled the engine. With a helmet on it's so quiet I couldn't hear the engine but with it still floored looked at the tach, it was low but starting to climb, damn traction control! Ended up running 11.02 @ 71 mph. I didn't want to chance stalling the engine on the next pass so decided to disable TC and dial down a bit being it fell on it's face. Just racing for fun anyway, and a Wally but who am I kidding. Dialed a very scientific 10.55 and went up for first round. Went up and blew the tires off.....oh well...better than being at work.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    So how did you do with the '05 car?

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Loaded up the mighty '05 V6 car last night to beat on this weekend. Amazed at how much wider it was than my '65, same length though. Couldn't open the door so had to drop the top and jump out Bo Duke style

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy65 View Post
    Haven't gotten that far yet. It would need to be shipped off though. It needs a ton of welding and machining to bring the journal back up.
    Probably needless to say, but I'll say it anyway -- I'd have it magnafluxed before I put ANY "refurbishing $$" into it. It may have micro-cracks at the journals...especially #2 and #3.....

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Haven't gotten that far yet. It would need to be shipped off though. It needs a ton of welding and machining to bring the journal back up.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Callies. The second rod journal is trash, very ground down. A few of the counter weights are gouged pretty good too.
    Has your machinist magnafluxed it and deemed it salvagable or no?

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Callies. The second rod journal is trash, very ground down. A few of the counter weights are gouged pretty good too.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Wilke
    replied
    Poppy65,
    What crank were you running? Did it break or damaged?

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Dennis112
    replied
    Who's lifters did you go with Dennis? Standard size body? Wondering as my Cranes are 10 years old and rather have them rebuilt maybe time to upgrade? Was contemplating Morals
    I have the Isky bushed SR's. I hear that the Morels are really nice, as are those from Crower (which my motor designer recommended. I already owned the Isky's so that is what I used.)

I should have mentioned that my 3/8" oil pan to sump gap is measured without a pan gasket. You don't want it to be too close to the bottom. I had to heat and bend the sump to get it there.

Leave a comment:

• astikhossw
    replied
    Oh and if you are running a hydraulic lifter cam restricting the lifter galley is not recommended.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Who's lifters did you go with Dennis? Standard size body? Wondering as my Cranes are 10 years old and rather have them rebuilt maybe time to upgrade? Was contemplating Morals

Leave a comment:

• Poppy65
    replied
    Originally posted by Dennis112 View Post
    I shoot for .002-.0025 max. I mix oversized bearing halves and set mine at .0022-.0023. I also run a std pump and Penn Grade10w30 semi synthetic oil and have 42lbs@idle.

How far was the pickup from the bottom of the oil pan? I have mine set at 3/8"

I'll shoot for .002 / 5 this time. My 347 was right at .0025 and had great pressure with 10w30 but was told to error on the higher side with the additional rpm. Live and learn. Id' love to run the lighter oil again.

I honestly never did check the pickup height after swapping every thing over to the new block.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Leave a comment:

• Dennis112
    replied

Yes, it's a solid roller. I know lifter tech has come a long way but still don't trust a juiced set-up for this much rpm.

Standard pressure and volume. Melling Select 68 if I remember correctly. Always thought HV pumps where a waste of HP on priority main designs, no need to over come the flawed cam oiling first deal.

Rods where between .0025 - .003 as well. I'd have to look at my paperwork to see what they where for sure but that's always been my target number for SBFs. Should go tighter?
    I tried an Ed Curtis spec'ed hydraulic setup and it couldn't handle 7K rpm's without lobbing the AFR valves. I went back to an SR (this time with a bushing wheel) and have been pleased with the results.

.003 on the rods is OK for drag racing with a heavier oil (20w50) but maybe not so good for a street driven car. I shoot for .002-.0025 max. I mix oversized bearing halves and set mine at .0022-.0023. I also run a std pump and Penn Grade10w30 semi synthetic oil and have 42lbs@idle.

How far was the pickup from the bottom of the oil pan? I have mine set at 3/8"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X